Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Passenger

Default Stupid first-time cruiser questions

I'm sure these have been covered before but I am still unclear. I understand the tipping arrangement where they charge the $10.00 per day per person when you board. But when I get the free slice of pizza, do I tip that person? As I understand it, if I get an alcoholic drink, the tip is already added in there, is that correct? And I know I have to tip the person who brings us breakfast in our room. Also, someone said they took a sports bottle thing for water, and filled up their water on board and took it on the excursions so as not to have to buy bottled water all the time. Do people take their good cameras on the shore excursions?. Obviously, I'm taking the waterproof Wal-Mart cameras when we do the dolphin encounter and snorkeling and stingray things, but hate to not have an excellent picture of the ocean and beach that I can get with my digital camera. Where do people put their "stuff" while they're doing the excursions (my travel companion calls me a "worry wart").
Old October 29th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Hi Nancy,

Remember NO SUCH THING AS STUPID QUESTION We are here to help you, and for most of us, we will repeat it as many times as necessary.

Tipping is as you said added in. I for the record, add mine into the price of the cruise, so that it will not be added to my on board account. You should tip the guy or girl who brings your tray to you room, as part of room service. It is not necessary to tip the pizza guy, unless you choke on a piece, and he saves your life.

I take a six pack of water with us, and fill them up on board, when we drink them. The water is more than good, because of what it has to go through to be pure.

For excursions and your stuff. It will depend on what you do. Most of the time, they will let you store your stuff on the bus, boat, or whatever you are traveling in.

See that was easy. Now ask your next questions.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Passenger

Thanks, Luanne. As I think of more questions, I will ask.
Old October 29th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Your welcome Nancy.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 29th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Admiral

As LuAnne stated there are NO! stupid question asked on this site...maybe statements from time to time...kidding.. order as many pizza's as you like,and they will ask you to come back in a short time....less time than Dominos,and you can pick them up.We always order several whole pizza's to take back to the room.No tipping here
Old October 30th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Welcome aboard Nancy. We've ALL asked those questions at one time or another.

Tipping is easy if you remember this:

Once you've paid your $10 (per person per day) for tipping you only need to tip MORE for:

1. room service (I tip $2 or $3)
2. any service you think is above and beyond

In the past, for the service above and beyond I have tipped:

1. my room steward
2. my wait staff
3. my favorite waiter in the show lounge
4. my favorite bartender

Yes, I also took my own water bottle filled from the ship on excursions and I most definately took my good camera. I have a really sturdy case and also brought a ziplock bag in case for riding on the tender, etc. (no splashes).

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:06 AM
First Mate

In terms of cameras, I generally always keep one with me. I have a new nice pocket-size one, a Canon SD700-IS. It's the size of a pack of smokes, 6 megapixels, and includes image stabilization. Canon makes an underwater housing for it too, good to 130 feet deep, and I'll be getting that since we plan to dive and do inner-tubing.

We generally get the kids some disposable underwater cameras onboard the ship, as they usually offer a deal that includes developing in the cost of the camera. We've found the Fuji ones to take better pix than the Kodak ones.

If you have a good digital, take it. If not, do some research and think about buying one (either over the net or in a port). You can find some amazing deals if you keep your eyes open (i.e., a Canon SD600 for $200). Get plenty of memory cards (but don't pay more than $20 for a 1Gb card).

My wife and daughter just returned from a Disney cruise and she took over 500 photos...

If you want to go further into detail, email me at dana at logicsmith dot com.

Dana
Old October 31st, 2006, 08:37 PM
Passenger

Thanks Luanne, Dorothy and danacline for all the helpful information. I did think of something else. I notice the site recommends a bungie cord to hold the balcony door open. Anything else that would work as well? I noticed bungie cords run from 18 inches to 48 inches. Will 18 inches work?
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Yes, You don't need a really long one, and I have be found that a lot of the doors will stay open by themselves, and you won't need it.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 31st, 2006, 11:24 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to AmazingAngel

Hello,
I bring both types of cameras, if I am doing something near the water i use the waterproof one, when I am on land I bring my camcorder as well as my digital camera. I store all of this in my backpack which is attached to me..so if someone dares to grab at it they will be taking me with them lol. Have never had that problem though. when you go on your excursions either they have lockers to store things or if you are leaving the bus or something you can leave it on there as they lock it when everyone is off.
i am a worry wart too so relax and enjoy your cruise and your great photos and such afterward! Have a great first cruise!!!!
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Thanks AmazingAngel for that info. I certainly didnt want to leave my digital camera behind but glad to know they let you leave things on the bus or catamaran or whatever. I have never been on a cruise before, never snorkeled, all these things my travelling companion insists I can do!!!!
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:04 PM
Passenger

You are most welcome, I bring it all. On my first cruise I only brought disposable cameras and water proof for the fear of it being stolen or leaving it somewhere. But after experiencing it first hand, no problem.
Have a great cruise....11 more weeks till we leave....cant wait!
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:31 PM
Passenger

ANother question - When we go on our shore excursions (Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Nassau) do I assume that I can use my debit card or charge card in the souvenier shops but use cash with the street vendors?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyjw
ANother question - When we go on our shore excursions (Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya and Nassau) do I assume that I can use my debit card or charge card in the souvenier shops but use cash with the street vendors?
Yes, unless it is a really small store that does not take CCs.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Passenger

Yes you can use your credit cards and such for the larger stores just dont let them walk off with them. Most stores are good. I use cash for everything except for water sports and stuff when they need a deposit for damage like sea dooing. I use my credit card for that, and pay cash to use the machine.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
First Mate

I would prefer to use a credit card rather than a credit/debit card linked to my checking account. If something goes wrong with a credit card, you're covered (except maybe the first $50). But if something goes wrong with the debit card, your checking account could be empty by the time you return home.

And make sure you have a xerox of your card info packed separately in case your card is stolen or lost.

Dana
Old November 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default bungie cord for balcony door

We have found (at least on the Conquest) that a small dowel rod works great to hold open the door. Just cut a 3/4" dowel rod to a length of 8" - 10" and place in the open door. I like this better as it is easier to pack and I worry about the bungie cords coming loose and hitting me. I have a friend who had a very serious eye injury from a bungie cord popping loose.