Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Passenger

Default Question about how the boat docks......

We are taking a family cruise next year on the Triumh next year to Grand Turks,St Thomas,San Juan and Half Moon Cay. I was wondering did the boat dock in the water at these places,where tender boats are needed or land where you can just walk straight off the boats? I'm asking cause my grandmother is going,and we are uncomfortable with having her go on the tender boats.
Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Some dock at the pier and some tender. I would say that you will probably tender in at least one of those ports, especially if there are other cruise ships there first. The tenders are not little boats; they are decent-sized and should not prove to be a problem for your grandmother. There are always plenty of crew around to assist her, if needed. Don't fret - your grandmother will be fine.

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5/98
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1/02
CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old November 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Admiral

There are no tenders in San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk. You must tender to Half Moon Cay, which is all beach and water activities at the private island.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your grandmother will not have any problems with tendering. We had to tender when we went to Sitka Alaska, and the crew was wonderful with the older passengers. The tender boats are actually the life boats, they just drop them into the water, they come up to the ship and a gangway is there to cross. Very stable and easy to do.
My husband had me going on the tendering. We had a balcony cabin and we could see the life boats underneath our cabin. He kept telling me that you had to go down a little ladder and go thru the little window that is on top of the life boat!!!! He can lie with the best of them, and since I had no reason to doubt him, I just knew that was the way we were going to get off that ship. HA. When I finally just told him flat out that I was NOT going to go down any little ladder, hang out over the ocean and try to shimmy thru that window, he confessed. I think he has told everyone he works with that story.
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for your replies!! I've been on a tender boat before,but I can't remember how easily we got off the boat, I do remember people being there to help though! That makes me feel better and hopefully it will make her feel better too.