Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Default Sign and Sail cards

Could somebody please explain the sign and sail. My BF has had people tell him to only use one card to make purchases while on board. Don't we both have to have a card with the required deposit of 250.00 each for a 5 night cruise. If we each have a card and we order drinks that are not free do we each have to use our card or can we use one card and only pay the 15% gratuity once instead of twice, for each drink for each person. I am confused now and he so sure he knows what he is talking about. Could you explain this in "new cruisers" terms. I thought I understood how it works...but maybe not! Thanks.

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Admiral

It is also your boarding pass. So each passenger has one. You can charge all your stuff to one card with the same CC number if you want.

Here from Carnival .....

"For your convenience, charges for most of your onboard purchases will be posted to your Sail & Sign® account. A required application form will be included with your documents. Registration for this program will occur at the time of embarkation. Carnival accepts American Express, Visa, MasterCard, Discover® Network Card and cash for deposit on your account. A deposit (ranging from $100 to $350 depending on cruise duration) will be required for cash accounts. Third-party credit cards, Travel Funds Cards, Credit Card Gift Cards and Mini Credit Cards are not accepted on board

If you are using a credit card or debit/check cashing card please be advised that there will be a hold placed on your account as a deposit for your onboard purchases. During your cruise additional holds will be added if your Sail & Sign® account exceeds the amount of deposit Carnival has on file. If you presented a credit card, this will reduce the amount available on your credit card for other purchases. If you presented a debit/check cashing card, the hold will restrict the available cash in your checking account. All charges will be billed to the credit card or debit/check cashing card at the end of the cruise. Please note that Carnival Cruise Lines will not be held responsible for any bank-imposed overage or insufficient funds charged on debit or credit cards.

BOARDING CARD

Your Sail & Sign Card will serve as your Boarding Card. This card identifies you as a Carnival guest and must be carried with you along with picture identification when you go ashore. Because the ship is closed to the public while docked at the various ports-of-call, you’ll have to show your Sail & Sign Card and picture I.D. to the officer on duty in order to return on board."

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanmamaw
If we each have a card and we order drinks that are not free do we each have to use our card or can we use one card and only pay the 15% gratuity once instead of twice, for each drink for each person.
You can each use your own card, or you can use "his" or "her" card . From what I understand, the 15% is per drink, not per order, so it really doesn't matter which card you use.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Inspiration2002CarnivalElation2004
GrandPrincess2004NCLSun2005
SunPrincess2006NCLDream2007
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn2008
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Carnival Magic 2015 Coral Princess 2015
Old November 16th, 2006, 08:39 PM
First Mate

Actually the 15% is per order. Yes, you can use the same card for your party of 2. Or you can both have cards, being billed to the same credit card OR cash deposit.
Old November 16th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Admiral

So we can have two cards set up for each of us then when ordering drinks or something that is no included have it put on one card. We would give them whichever card we wanted the charge to come off of, right?

Need some cruise help?
Old November 17th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Captain

We would give them whichever card we wanted the charge to come off of, right?

Right! Be advised, the moment you board the automatic $10 PP per day will be deducted from the card. That covers gratutities for your waiter, room steward, and balance of crew. I'm not sure if they split that or charge it all to the person who booked. Excursions will also be charged to the sail-n-sign. We've always used a single CC (mine) and the GF likes it that way.

Have a great experience, no doubt in my mind you will!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old November 17th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Really the only reason I want a "his and her" card is because if I want something that he thinks cost to much or isn't really needed then I can use my card and then pay for it myself and not have to worry about it. He can be rather "tight" with his money sometimes where I tend to use mine. I'm on vacation I'm not going to count every single penny that I spend. I might even pay for the tips on mine so he can't complain about that. I make him sound worse than he is, he just doesn't agree with all this tipping stuff........so I will take care of that myself. Thanks for all your answers. Gotta run, have company that just walked in.......

Need some cruise help?
Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:07 AM
Passenger

In my opinio the best thing is pre-paid you gratuties at least once you get there you don't have to worry about the $10 per day per person in your account. The tips are split $5.50 for the dining room staff (includes headwaiter,waiter and assistant when you have); 3.50 for the cabin steward and his assistant and 1.00 for the alternative dining like lido deck, room service etc. Once you add it might seems a lot but is not this employees are tipping position only so wherever you pay they receive.
You can have a joined account with you BF and pay for separate charges, you have to go to the purser's office after you made the charge and showed them the receipt they are going to transfer that charge to your own credit card or cash.
I hope it helps.
Enjoy your cruise.