Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 20th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Admiral

Default What's your favorite old ship of Carnival?

Just wondering Im considering a short cruise 3-5 days. I noticed many of the old ships such as the Celebration, Facination, and Sensation do these short duration cruises.

Which of the old ships do you like or dislike and why? Have you been on them after they have been refurbished or before? What is the difference between them and the newer ships? I've sailed on the Mardi Gras way back when, the Legend in 2005 and the Pride just last month. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Captain

Sensation was our first cruise and it ROCKED!!! But, that was when it did the 5 day outta Tampa to GC and Cozumel. Our next was Fantasy to the Bahamas and while the ship was nice, we didn't care for Freeport and Nassau. I'd look at Inspiration outta Tampa or similar itineraries outta Miami. Since we drive, we like to leave outta Tampa or Canaveral and save the windshield time to Miami.
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Captain

We've been on the oldest Carnival ship still in operation (Holiday) and on the Fantasy, Ecstasy and Elation. We loved them all. We have also cruised on the Glory and the Conquest. These are the larger ships that carry 3500 passengers. We prefer the smaller ships.

Libragirl
Old November 20th, 2006, 01:44 PM
First Mate

we did the maiden voice (first cruise ever) with the carnival sensation it was wunderful and it is still the number one for me.

-------------------------------
carnival sensation 11/93
carnival destiny 03/06
carnival freedom 07/07
carnival miracle 02/09
rci serenade of the seas 01/10
Old November 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Showcat, yes you can do Fantasy class from Tampa or Canaveral or Miami or you can do Sovereign or Majesty. Come on down and I will go with you?

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Celebrate with the Celebration!!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old November 21st, 2006, 04:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

My first cruise was on the Festivale, she is and always will be my favorite ship because she was the first cruise. I knew the moment I boarded that I was hooked on cruising. The next year I sailed on the Mardi Gras. Neither of these ships are still sailing for Carnival. My next two Carnival cruises were on the Celebration. At that time she was brand new and we considered her to be huge.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old November 21st, 2006, 04:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruznut2
My first cruise was on the Festivale, she is and always will be my favorite ship because she was the first cruise. I knew the moment I boarded that I was hooked on cruising. The next year I sailed on the Mardi Gras. Neither of these ships are still sailing for Carnival. My next two Carnival cruises were on the Celebration. At that time she was brand new and we considered her to be huge.

Laura
Our first cruise was on the Carnivale -- also no longer in service with Carnival...

She got us hooked on cruising, but I can't say she was my favorite ship. Our room was.....strange, to say the least.

I don't know if I have a favorite ship....unless it is "the next one I'm sailing on".....
Old November 21st, 2006, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have been on 2 of the Fantasy-class vessels....Fascination and Sensation, and 2 of the bigger ships....Triumph and Glory. While each ship has its advantages and disadvantages, I wouldn't mind being on any of them again. Hopefully, I will be able to say the same statement next week when I am on the Holiday!!!!

As far as the ships themselves are concerned....the Holiday and the Celebration are similar. They are the smallest and oldest ships in Carnival's fleet.

As far as the other small ships are concerned (Fantasy, Ecstacy, Sensation, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Elation, and Paradise)..... All of these are sister ships and were built to the same specifications. While the decor may be different, the cabin and public room locations will be the same, unless modifications during a dry dock are made.

One thing I did notice on the Sensation versus the Fascination, is that they made an art gallery out of the middle area of the Empress Deck where the photo gallery was originally built, and moved the photo gallery to the atrium area. In addition, a mini-golf course was added to the Sun Deck. Someone on Carnival's staff advised that this was being planned for all the ships of this class, but I don't know if they have all been completed yet.
Carnival Glory 9/2006
Holiday 11/2006
Fantasy 04/26/07
Carnival Freedom 11/24/07 - Open Bar Cruise!!!