Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2006, 12:04 AM
Beginner

Default Self Assist Debarkation From the Holiday

Just a little tip for anyone planning on doing self assist debarking from Carnival Holiday - DON'T DO IT!!!!! We did it 2 weeks ago, and it was a total nightmare! Instead of being quick & easy, as they suggested, it was LONG and miserable! Of the 10 in our group, 7 did self assist & 3 did regular check your baggage the night before. Rather than getting off between 8 & 8:30 AM. we were stuck in the halls until 9:15. Those that checked their luggage got off about 30 minutes after we did - no real time savings there! I have heard that the same thing happened to those leaving the ship this past week, also.
Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2006, 07:19 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Same for us back in Sept. We did the self assist. There was another couple next to us that did the checked luggage, (traditional way ) we meet them in the parking gargage on our way out.

So on our next cruise, I'm going back to my traditional way. Set my luggage out, and enjoy a relaxed breakfast , and sit out on the Lido deck as long as I can before I have to leave.

Happy Sailing to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old November 23rd, 2006, 07:54 AM
Captain

Sorry to hear you had a problem. We self assist debarked from Glory on our last trip and are plannin it again this time. At 7:30 AM they announced seld assist passengers could debark and at 7:45 we were walkin through the parkin lot to the garage. I'm sure there are many variables like the port, when ship clears customs, and which color baggage tags you're sportin if you choose to wait till your color is called. I'm hopin this time they keep me aboard and won't let me off!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Beginner

Just went through it today in Mobile and wished I had seen this earlier. It is still not any better and a complete nightmare. I was on the Main (5) level which was supposed to be the 1st level called. Jake, the assistant CD, came on the PA about 7:30 and announced that self debark could now line up. He failed to mention only level 5. Another announcement came about 15 minutes later specifying level 5 only but it was too late and ineffective. I made to the lobby in about an hour to find the stairs from above and below jammed with people. There was tension and quite a few nasty comments made to the people coming from the other levels. Not their faults as I felt that Jake had blown this earlier. It was truly a nasty way to end what had been a very friendly cruise. It took me nearly 2 hours to get off the boat and by the time we were in customs, many of the checked bag passengers were claiming their bags.

It seems very avoidable by simply calling sections and enforcing this as they show their sail and sign cards, not in the section called, sent back out of line. My advice is to set your luggage out and then just sleep in, you will get off the same time and be much more relaxed.
Old December 10th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

yep, know the feeling John Ham,
On our next cruise, I'm going back to the tradtional way. I'll put out my luggage the night before, only keeping my carry on. Sleep in as long as I can.(if I'm lucky, maybe 6.00 am) Enjoy a nice breakfast, sit out on the Lido Deck, and let the bulk of the line leave, and then I'll make my way down around 9.30 .
We've done this and it works well. There's no need to hurry, and then wait for hours in a long line.
Tell us about your cruise

Happy Sailing to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Being our first cruise we just didn't know what to do. So, we ended up doing it the traditional way. We were not in any hurry to get off. Went and had breakfast, found a table on the Lido deck to sit at and just sat back and waited. The biggest problem was finding all of our luggage in the terminal. It was scattered from one side to the other. We will do it that way again.

Need some cruise help?
Old December 11th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Passenger

Default Self assist fom any ship

I am all about TRADITION. We just got off the Inspiration and did it the old fashion way and stayed up late enjoyed our last night had our carry on's in hand and let all the others rush and stand in the stair ways to get off board. We had a great breakfast enjoyed company of new friends and just enjoyed a beautiful morning and the start of week 2 of vacation in Florida.

Happy Cruising & Merry Christmas
~Lisa~
South Carolina
Old December 14th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Passenger

Default Self bebarkation

I did that three times and all three times I was off the ship and at my gate
by 9:00 am to make my 11:00 am flight.

Gary