Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Beginner

Default Do the seamiles expire? / a better solution?

My first question since I read the past postings that the seamile card is isn't what it is cracked up to be, is...do the miles expire? I have a little over 30,000.

I did a little comparable shopping. I went to the seamiles website to "redeem" 25,000 seamiles on a cruise. Then I went to Carnival and 2 other cruise web sites and Carnival was the same price and I would have saved a mere $50 with one and $30 with the other. All for running $25,000 through the credit card company!

So, I went and rated travel reward and cash back credit cards. Chase has two credit cards that were rated very well and -0- annual fee.
They have a 5% cash back on groceries, gas and convenience type purchases. There is a $300 cap on this.

The second card is the new freedom card and you get 3% back on groceries, gas, and convenience items up to $600 spending per month (then 1% after that). and there is no cap on this card. This card can also be switched back and forth for travel rewards also.

Since I don't carry a balance, I don't have to worry about an interest rate, so I am going to use the 5% card til I max it out and then switch to the 3% card. Put the money in my vacation fund and it ends up being a better discount than the seamiles card.

Anyway, just another avenue for those looking to save a buck or two on their next cruise. I'm just not sure what to do with the 30,000 seamiles I already have.
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I found on the web site that they will expire after 60 months. I don't have as many as you, so eating them won't be as painful, but I am afraid that is what I will end up doing.

Just an idea, but Chase also has a credit card attached to Holiday Inn and sister hotels, and I am working on making our pre-cruise hotel free.

After my experience with the telemarketer from Sea Miles, they e-mailed me a survey, and I really let them have it.

You simply can not run a business that this.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Beginner

Well, it might be alot of seamiles, but it's not worth much monetarily anyway. I'm just really glad that I found out when I did and not any later!!

It's really unfortunate that Carnival couldn't give us a something honorable and respectable to work towards with the Seamiles program. After all, Carnival is the name on the front of my credit card. It's a shame.
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Unfortunately the name on the card is an example of a Big company selling their name. They have nothing to do with the company who runs it.

It is just like the Vacation club.

I am going to work on my "free" Motel, then I might again start adding to the Sea Miles. Did I hear some where that you could use sea miles along with the military discount?

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 27th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Admiral

I just used my 10,000 plus sea miles to get a paltry $50 back on airfare. I know I will NEVER be booking a cruise thru them. The rub is I won't even GET the refund for 21 days.

I am dumping this card and wanted to make sure I redeemed my miles before I got rid of it...

dorothy

CarnivalSensation February 2015
Carnival Dream November 2015

Carnival Fascination April 2014
Carnival Elation March 2011
Carnival Imagination Sept 2007
Carnival Sensation Dec 2006
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 2006
Carnival Miracle Sept 2005
Carnival Glory Sept 2004
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2004