Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 3rd, 2006, 08:45 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to RICKinFL Send a message via MSN to RICKinFL
Default Liberty- T-Minus 20 Days and Counting

Well We just booked our second cruise on the Liberty for the 12/23/06 sailing. I was wondering if anyone has taken the Panama Railroad tour as we booked this excrusion. I heard it was pretty good . Also any suggestions on what to do in Limon Costa Rica? Any feed back would be apreciated.

Happy Cruzin,

Rick
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Haven't been there, or done that yet ourselves Rick, but as soon as you find out, let us all know. The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I are booked on the "Liberty" for the April 14th sailing, and are as anxious to know as you are.
Have a great cruise,

Ken
Old December 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Passenger

Hi Ken and Rick

I just returned from the Liberty sailing of 11/25. In Costa Rica I did the aerial tram tour, while is was nice to be riding the rain forest from above, besides from getting wet, there wasn't that much to see except lots of foliage. There were no monkeys, a few gorgeous butterflies were seen. As reported back to me, the people that did the land tours saw much more including the white face monkeys. We did pass the Dole banana plantation where we saw the guys pulling strings of large bunches of bananas, very hard work. I'm sorry there wasn't time to see the whole factory setup-there is a speciific tour for this though. Whatever you do, this and Colon Panama are NOT the typical tourist towns and I would not wonder around alone. Two girls alone from the ship went in Costa Rica to a beach that their waiter had recommended to them-in less then 5 minutes their bags were stolen that had everything in it, ie: passprts, credit cards, sign and sail card. The said also that the US consulate was not to friendly or helpful. It looked like a definate setup by their waiter though which was an unfortunate situation, but you were warned not to stray. Colon is extremely poverty, I will have pictures posted on webshots in a few days-look under ArlDeb40 in the community section by the weekend. I heard back from the people that took the train tour in Panama thought it was very good. They did get to see the country and canal, but did not go through the canal. I did the ferry tour through the canal, all I can say about this, is that it was the most amazing thing and I highly recommend this tour as the only way we could of seen this up so close was with the ferry. We did get back to the ship almost 5 PM, even though the ship was suppose to leave at 4, they most definately waited for us. Costa Maya was OK, everything was right at the pier, and there is plenty of shopping to do there. Just be sure you check out prices and haggle real good.
Norwegian Dream 2/05
Caribbean Princess 6/05
Carnival Legend 10/05
Carnival Legend 4/06
Carnival Victory 8/06
Carnival Liberty 11/06
Carnival Miracle 6/07
Carnival Victory 8/07
Norwegian Star 6/08
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to RICKinFL Send a message via MSN to RICKinFL

Hi Arldeb40,
Thanks for the reply it was very informative,and yes from what I've read on the net these really are'nt the best ports for casual walkarounds. Hope to see the pics soon...Thanks again.

Keep on Cruzin

Rick

Liberty 12/23/06
Liberty 12/04/05
Inspriation 4/05
Zandaam 4/03
Soveriegn 4/02
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Passenger

we just got back on the 11-25 trip also. Panama dont buy the excursion on board. There was Taxi drivers that are legitimate that are licensed by the cruise lines. The charge was 60.00 for 2 of us. We saw the locks at the canal and went to a hotel that was very nice with great shopping. Also we went into town and our taxi driver stayed with us. He was great.
In costa rica we took the train,boat and bus tour. We got alot for our money. It rains all year round there. This entire tour was coverd so no one got wet. The guides were great.
Costa maya is wonderful. If you want to go shopping and hang out by the beach, wait til you get off the ship and take a cab into town. Massages for 20.00 for forty minutes. This was great right on the beach.

The down side is the noro virus is still on the ship. My wife got it. She has very good cleaning habits. Washes hands etc. However carnival took care of her with no charge at all for the infirmary. She was quarantined for 24 hours. There was crew members also sick on board. Myself or my 2 friends traveling with us never got it though. We were lucky. This still was the best cruise we have ever taken. You wont be sorry. They have plenty of sanitation devices around everywhere. However I think shegot this dining one night. Dont be scared to go on just take precautions.
Fantasy July 2006
Liberty Nov. 2006
Liberty Sept. 2007
February 14, 2008 Sensation