Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Beginner

Default Question on taxis in Jamacia, Grand Cayman, and Cozemel.

Can anyone tell me if the taxis have decent prices in these three ports. We are thinking about just taking one to sight see. If anyone has any advice on the pros and cons of doing this please let me know. Thanks in advance. We have 3 days left til we leave for Galveston. Time is dragging by now.
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Taxi's in Jamaica must be registered and have a sticker in the lower corner of the windshield. It is best to use the ones allowed inside the port area. Also, don't pay for a roundtrip until you get back to the port. They may disappear on you!

Taxi's in Cozumel are everywhere. We didn't have a problem with any of the drivers. However, they do cram as many as they can in those little cars. Also, I don't think the drivers at either of these locations use the brake! Just hang on!

I haven't used a taxi in Grand Cayman. We did the Stingray City thing (you have to do it at least once). From what I could tell, you can see a lot right in the port area. Maybe someone else can share info on this port.

As far as prices, I didn't find them unreasonable, but this has been a few years ago.
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

be very careful in jamaica that island is not the safest place to just go out on your own in, my sugestion is do some type of all inclusive day resort that is secure , sunset beach is awsome , the taxi in jamaica you want is a juda cab make sure they have the juda tag on the front , they are government cabs and have set prices you wont get ripped off that way, on the other 2 stops feel free to roam till your hearts content.
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

we did the conquest last july and had a ball, your going to love the ship, all 3 of your stops are good ones , be sure and not drink to much in cozumel its real easy to do, the ship is still tendering there and can be a pain from time to time, we had drunk people lots of them on our tender and waiting in line in the ocean waves made for some unpleasant smells from people vomiting.
Old December 6th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Admiral

taxi's in Grand Cayman are reasonably priced but a bit of a crazy ride; just don't leave your wallet in one; my boyfriend did and believe it or not out of the probably 600 or so look alike van taxis we found it. I thought I was leaving him in the islands, as it had his id and ship card.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Passenger

we took a taxi (government registered juta) for a couple of hours tour and it was 10 dollars per person per hour. they will take u wherever u choose to go. the drive up the mountain to the great house (rose hall) is very nice and scenic. you can also get an excursion that the ship offers to Rose Hall at a reasonable price. the tour guide we had was very informative. have fun!

fascination 12-03
conquest 9-04
navigator of the seas 12-05
conquest 11-06
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Jamaica: Personally, I don't do Jamaica unless it is a ship tour..but that is just me. If you do use a taxi ONLY use a JUTA.

Cozumel: Very safe. Taxis are everywhere.

Grand Cayman: Very safe. Taxis are everywhere.

Have a great cruise!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Passenger

I am very surprised at the other resposes on Jamaica. I feel the Jamaicans are the more respectful of all the islands. Yes Juda has a set price, but the ones that are not can be "bargained" with. It is a poor country and they are people just trying to survive, but very friendly, and again respectful. Kingston is the only place to stay away from. Ocho Rios and Negril area are the best.
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Passenger

We are also thinking of things to do in Jamaica. Are the Juta taxis the one with the red tags? I heard these are the government taxis. We went there a couple of years ago and spent the day at Sunset Beach and had a ball, but we would like to see more of the island. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Barbara
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

hire yourself one of the taxi drivers for a day guide, but make sure you barter for a price first and do not pay him until your tour is done that way he doesnt drop you off at a shop and gone when you get back, then just tell him where you want to go and he could even give you some suggestions on the best places.