Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to ellenej Send a message via Yahoo to ellenej
Default Feeling bad about taking my Infant on Cruise.

Hello all

Myself, husband and at the time my son will be turning 11months will be taking a short 4 night cruise to the bahamas.

The reason i feel bad about taking my son is because of all the negative feed back i get when i read some of the responses about people and infants on a cruise..Some people makes it seems like its a crime to have kids. A part of me feels like i really don't care what people say and another part makes me feel uncomfortable,because i would hate to go on the cruise and people are looking at us "like why did she bring this small child on this boat".Keep in mind i am a new mom and do not know how an eleven month old acts, but like i said to my husband if we made it pass the newborn stage we can handle a cruise lol.

My question is to all the parents who took their young children did you feel uncomfortable and also was the experience worth it.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Passenger

I am in a similar situation as you in that my wife and I will be taking our daughter on an 8 day cruise to the W. Carib. She will also be 11 months old when we travel. I agree that there is a slight negative attitude about infants on a cruise but to be honest- I don't care about what others might think about me doing so.

Now, in preparation of the cruise we have been heavily socializing our daughter. She enjoys new faces and always ready with a smile to win over any "sour pusses". I think doing this will only help us onboard.

When she gets tired, like all babies do, she lets us know with a whine and a rubbing of the eyes. When this happens I will make sure that no one has to sit and listen to a bawling baby- I will act responsibly and excuse ourselves from anything we may be possibly disturbing.

The negative attitude comes towards parents that don't or won't act this way and don't perform their parental duties. I don't want to listen to an infant cry continuously through a formal dinner and I don't think others want this either. No one wants the fuss of a baby to interrupt a show.

Then again I think the same people don't want some drunk ruining the same things either.

So relax and enjoy your cruise with your family, act responsibly and I think you'll find many people will enjoy seeing your infant.
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Captain

I would like to take my daughter & my only brand new grandson (Travis) on a short cruise also.... My daughter has been on 2 cruises with us, her last she was into her 3rd trimister (sp)..... Think of all the old folks who have not seen their own grandchildren enough & may want to spoil your infant a little..... Throw the drunks overboard & bring on the babys...

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old December 17th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Hi ellenej,

If you're a responsible parent (and it sure sounds like you are, or you wouldn't have even asked!) you'll be fine with your baby.

ronmick has the right idea!

The staff on your cruise will give your baby so much attention that you may feel left out! Many of them have babies at home so they'll be especially attentive to your little one!

I hope you all have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 17th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dfhawk60 Send a message via Yahoo to dfhawk60 Send a message via Skype™ to dfhawk60

take the kid, have a wonderful time!!! i would guess that for every 1 complaint there will be about 1000 who would have no problem with a child. cant make them all happy ALL the time!
RCCL Navagitor of the Seas - Nov 26, 2005 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Glory - April 15, 2006 (E.Caribbean) | Carnival Victory - Aug 21, 2006 (Canada) | Carnival Glory - July 28, 2007 (W.Caribbean) | Carnival Fascination - Aug 4, 2008 West Caribbean | HAL Eruodam - April 11, 2009 East Caribbean | Carnival Fredom - Aug 9, 2009 | Carnival Pride Feb 20,2011 (Bahamas) | NCL PrideOfAmerica April 16,2011 (Hawaii)
Old December 17th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Admiral

JMO..... Take your baby and have a wonderful cruise. It may be more work on you, but that comes with have a small child. You will still have a great time.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Passenger

As mentioned above it’s all about parental responsibility. I don’t know many people that are against infants on a cruise. They are more than likely talking about problems with the parents. For example a small number of parents refuse to take a loud and unhappy child out of the theater during a performance or the main dining room during a nice meal. As long as you are respectful of other people’s solitude/enjoyment, which it sounds like you would be, no one should have a problem with it.
Old December 18th, 2006, 05:56 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

Perish those thoughts!

I used to be one of those lugheads seeing parents bringing kids on board and thinking "WHY?"......., until I had one myself!

But we went ahead and booked our next cruise when she was 13 months, without her, for a quick 5 day cruise.

WE WERE MISERABLE, and missed her dearly.

Just remember, no one wants to hear your baby cry, and don't put on a production show with all the paraphenalia, and you'll be fine.

She will be on her 7th cruise this coming year.
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Admiral

not to be negative but just be aware that the shorter cruises tend to attract more of a party crowd. You will find more familes on a 7 day cruise as opposed to a 4 dayer.