Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Beginner

Default Booze Smuggler

What are the chances of bringing one bottle of rum with me. I don't mind having the bottle taken from me, but I can't imagine they check everyone's suitcase. Any tips on doing this.
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Hi beerbelly6219,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

Just pack your bottle in your checked luggage. Use a ziploc bag and cushion it with clothes.

You'll be fine on Carnival.

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

we brought a couple of bottles with us, we always buy the plastic bottles of booze and wrap them in clothes , our room steward even kept our bottles on ice chilled the entire 7 days, you will have no problems what so ever.
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:22 AM
Passenger

Bacardi Rum was on special for less than $10 a bottle on my last cruise, not worth smuggling for that price. Heck its $13 for the same bottle here in town. Of course there are restrictions to bringing it back to your room. Also alcohol is generally very cheap in ports so do some drinking there for us
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by new22003
Bacardi Rum was on special for less than $10 a bottle on my last cruise, not worth smuggling for that price. Heck its $13 for the same bottle here in town. Of course there are restrictions to bringing it back to your room. Also alcohol is generally very cheap in ports so do some drinking there for us
All booze bought on the ship or from any island is to be held by Carnival until the last day of the cruise per their rules. My last cruise (Disney) we went on, we were allowed to keep any booze bought from ashore with us, but the booze from the ship's duty free shop was held.
Old December 28th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Beginner

someone had mentioned that if you drink margaritis, get the pre mix make it up, pour it back in the bottle and pack it in your carry on....mmmm
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by iannmistyk
someone had mentioned that if you drink margaritis, get the pre mix make it up, pour it back in the bottle and pack it in your carry on....mmmm
I see you are headed to the Fantasy. We just returned from a wonderful 4 days. Excellent embarkation terminal. Convenient parking right at the dock that is covered.

Dakota is the band that is playing in the Cat's Lounge. They are a kickin' band. The guitar player is wicked!!!

Duane was in the piano bar...but I think he will be gone by the time you arrive. He was an older gentleman, very nice and very talented but very laid back. Personally, I like that (I am not into all the piano lid slamming and screaming) but some folks like a more animated player.

They are getting a new karaoke host next week. (Stephanie) Be warned the pitch control does not work on the cdg....so if you are pitch dependent...either bring a key shifter or be prepared to deal with the songs in the original keys. Their selection is also very limited. I bring my own custom CDGS and the host always takes great care with them.

Food was good. Service was good.

Noonan (asst cd) is a friend of mine. He is a hoot!!

Big Tex is a genuinely nice young man with a lot of talent and personality.
He has a lovely wife ( as does Noonan).

Claudia will probably still be at the atrium bar. She is very interesting to talk to. I believe she was from Romania. Sasa is from Croatia and he was also interesting to get to know. He worked the Karaoke lounge as a server.

Have a great cruise!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old December 30th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Wrap your booze in bubble wrap(glass),and place it in your check-in luggage....tip your porter two bucks per luggage......do not place it in your carry on,and you can enjoy it that same day....Happy Cruising

Just a reminder the booze on board the ship is not expensive,and even if you sneak it on board you will stll have a booze bill when you leave....just my two cents
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Passenger

OK, so we've cruised 4 times (all with Carnival) and have smuggled booze every time. So far (hope they are not reading this) we've gotten away with it. We buy those 6-8 oz. plastic travel bottles from Wal Mart or wherever, fill them with our favorites, and pack them with all our other travel bottles of stuff such as shampoo, conditioner, and so on. That way, I hope if someone does look through our bags, it looks like alot of regular personal hygiene products. Since it is usually punch, lemonade, and orange juice that is complimentary on the ships (& you can help yourself) then be sure to pack whatever you might like to mix with them. Good luck and I hope it works for you if you try it (I hope I didn't jynx us either! )
Old December 30th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Admiral

No offense intended,but please do not waste your time pouring your booze in other bottles....no need,just put it in your check in luggage,and tip your porter 2 bucks per bag,and you will enjoy it that evening.
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Passenger

what does tipping the porter have to do with alcohol
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Steve, I tip them 2 bucks per bag to make sure they handle them gently.I usually tell them I have wine packed in some of them.Never had a broken bottle yet.
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Passenger

For peeps that want to stay within the guidelines you can call the Carnival Bon Voyage department and order liquor to be in your cabin when you arrive. Rum, Whiskey, Tequilla, etc..... The prices are a little high but it saves the stress and the luggage space, and you don't have to worry about your room steward busting you.

JMHO.

Old January 6th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Admiral

Huh? Most room stewards keep it iced for you....Never! have I had one to squeal on me....maybe I have been just lucky....just my two cents
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Passenger

I just tend to lean towards following guidelines. Guess it's the former military in me. I don't know that your steward would bust you or not because I've never done it. My thoughts on it, I do like booze in my cabin but if I can't afford the "legal" way than I probably can't afford the vacation. I also don't leave towels on my deck chairs either.

This may be kinda dumb to say but the more money Carnival brings in on their cruises, the less their cruises will cost. If you take all of the peeps that bring booze on board and have them buy their booze from Carnival what kind of economical impact would that have? Could be nothing, could be huge.

Just a thought.

Old January 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Beginner

Default bon voyage section?

I've hecked the "gifts" section and don't see any alcohol other than wines. Is there another spot on the carnival site to buy bourbon, rum, etc and have THAT in your stateroom?

Go Cats
Old January 6th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Passenger

Default Re: bon voyage section?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msubobcats
I've hecked the "gifts" section and don't see any alcohol other than wines. Is there another spot on the carnival site to buy bourbon, rum, etc and have THAT in your stateroom?

Go Cats
For some reason they don't advertise the alcohol on the web site, the pvp's don't even know you can do it. You have to call the Bon Voyage department, give them you booking number and tell them what you want.

Old January 6th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for all the tips. We sailed last year and this was the first time we actually purchased alcohol in port and on the ship.

Before we left, I purchased a large insullated travel type mug for my husband who enjoys ice water. Thinking this mug would be great for our warm days on the ship, it came in very handy.

While in one of our ports, we discovererd strawberry flavored rum. My husband purchased 2 small bottles and was able to get them on the ship. Walked past the table and right onto the elevator.

We enjoyed our strawberry flavored lemonade the rest of the trip from that insullated mug.

Guess who's purchasing more mugs before this years trip??????

PS - Carnival definately didn't loose any bar business from this group, even with the extra beverages in our cabin

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Passenger

OK, so I've read tons and tons of posts about booze smuggling (which I intend to do). But a different type question spurned from the post above. Once aboard and once your luggage arrives to your cabin and once you have your liquor that you have smuggled in your cabin, can you just walk about the ship or lounge by the pool or in the sun with a glass in hand and no one (cruise ship employee) knows the difference? I mean a cup or glass that you would buy empty or bring from home and fill in your room.
Old January 7th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalfan
Quote:

Go Cats
For some reason they don't advertise the alcohol on the web site, the pvp's don't even know you can do it. You have to call the Bon Voyage department, give them you booking number and tell them what you want.
Does anyone have a price list or an Idea the of prices??

Old January 7th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Strawberry rum.......where?
Old January 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Littlesheba95

Guess I tried to take toooooo much onboard!!! Packed bottles in my checked luggage.....before sailing....they called me off the ship to pay a visit to customs.....talk about scared!!! Turns out they were very nice about it....told me I couldnt take it with me but they would hold it until my ship returned, which they did!!! I thought for sure they were going to arrest me or kick me off the ship!!! Guess I was lucky!!!
By the way....this was on NCL....may be different with other cruiselines.
Old January 7th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt
Quote:
Quote:

Go Cats
Does anyone have a price list or an Idea the of prices??
I just learned about this not to long ago. I called the Bon Voyage department, not your PVP, and asked them to fax a price list to me. They do not have one, once you are booked you call them with your booking number and let them know what you want and they will tell you if it is available and how much.

Old January 7th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Admiral

dhornick,Welcome Aboard....as for your question...you can take your "Take on Booze" anywhere you want to on board the ship in your own personal glass,cup,bottle,mug,or ask your steward to bring you a bar glass(es) and they will be happy to do so.No staff will ever question you about your drink....happy cruising
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default Travel size plastic liquor bottles sold in stores

On both of my cruises I purchased travel size filled Run and Vodka bottles and bought them with me in the packed suitcase. My fiance' also purchased a travel size scotch bottle. My bottles cost 10.00 each filled and were sealed. They were brand names. I just bought them just in case I wanted a drink or to spike one up more that I bought on the deck when I was in my cabin I still used all my drink coupons that I had purchased ahead of time and I also bought daily specials so I didn't feel like I was cheating anyone by bringing my travel sized bottles purchased in a liquor store at home. Most of the time the travel sized weren't even opened. Ro

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
This may be kinda dumb to say but the more money Carnival brings in on their cruises, the less their cruises will cost. If you take all of the peeps that bring booze on board and have them buy their booze from Carnival what kind of economical impact would that have? Could be nothing, could be huge.

Just a thought.
That is sort of how I feel with respect to Gambling - it subsidizes the trip. I have brought alcohol on board, but that doesn't seem to keep me away from the bar all that much.
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have taken rum or vodka on cruises before with no problem. But I don't any more. It is heavy and takes up a lot of space in my luggage. I also prefer drinking at the bars instead of in the cabin.
Inspiration - June, 2007
Carnival Valor - May, 2007
Carnival Glory - August, 2005
Carnival Glory - April, 2004
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Sensation - September, 2000
Paradise - June, 2000
SS Norway - May, 1996
Fantasy - November, 1993
SS Norway - May, 1993
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Booze Smuggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerbelly6219
What are the chances of bringing one bottle of rum with me. I don't mind having the bottle taken from me, but I can't imagine they check everyone's suitcase. Any tips on doing this.
Hi all - 1st post. My new cruise friend Trinidad Big Joe filled his large water bottle with Coconut Run in Ocho Rios and carried it on in his Carnival Water Bottle sleeve - man, that stuff was STOUT!

Bill & Ann - just back from 5 nites on Imagination with ALL the kids and grandkids!!!
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

dhornick:

No one said a word. There are many who bring mugs and such from home, etc. We planned on using the mug for iced tea. It was just bonus to have found the rum and added the lemonade.

mstill:

Found the strawberry rum in St. Marteen. There are many liquor stores there that have free samples. Husband and friend found the store and after sampling many flavors, decided the strawberry would be a nice surprise for me (strawberry daquri's are my beverage of choice in the nice weather). Was awesome and still have some that we enjoyed over the holidays.

Safe sailing.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old January 17th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Beginner

I like a drink in the evening in my room before dinner, or on the balcony.
besides i don't like people telling me I CAN"T bring a bottle on board.
don't get me wrong I buy drinks in the ships bars and during shows.
I think its more out of convinence than anything .
so I don't smuggle ,I just pack wisely.

Patrick