Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2007, 04:23 PM
Passenger

Default Twinrix on Cruises

Is it important to have Twinrix vacinations on cruises? We are leaving on Jan. 20th and is it too late to start?
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2007, 04:48 PM
Admiral

No, the shots are not necessary except for high risk countries and people who are at risk.

Candidates for Hepatitis A Vaccination
High-Risk Populations

Travelers to developing countries with high rates of hepatitis A, including Mexico
Men who have sex with men
Users of illegal drugs
People who work with hepatitis A virus in research settings
People who work with infected nonhuman primates
Recipients of clotting factor concentrates
People with chronic liver disease (because of risk of fulminant hepatitis A)

Candidates for Hepatitis B Vaccination
High-Risk Populations

People with multiple sex partners and those who have been recently diagnosed with a sexually transmitted disease
Sex partners and household contacts of HBV carriers
Men who have sex with men
Household contacts of adoptees from countries with high rates of hepatitis B
Injection drug users
Travelers to countries with high rates of hepatitis B (staying longer than 6 months)
People with occupational exposure to blood
Clients and staff in institutions for the developmentally disabled
Patients with chronic kidney failure (including those on chronic hemodialysis)
Patients receiving clotting factor concentrates
Inmates of long-term correctional facilities

Adults 18 years and older at 3 0, 1, and 6 to 12 months. Dossage 720 ELISA units (Hepatitis A), 20 µg (Hepatitis B) (1.0 mL total)

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the quick response. I thought as much but wasn't sure. We actually started the regime 4 years ago when we went to Mexico but just had the first one. 19 days to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:05 AM
Passenger

Depends where you are going... In Canada we are recommended to get the Twinrix Vaccinations if we are travelling to Mexico or the Caribbean etc. (regardless of whether you are cruising or not).

I just had my first shot and I am assured that I will well protected after my 2nd shot just before we leave... the third is a booster given atleast 6 mos after first.

The Centers for Disease Control recommends vaccinations and/or medicine against the following illness for travellers.

Hepatitis A, which is spread by the fecal-oral route, person to person or through contaminated water or food. It is the second-most common infection in travellers and the number one vaccine-preventable illness among travellers.

Hepatitis B , especially if you might be exposed to blood or body fluids, have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical or dental care, skin cuts and abrasions (which can happen pretty easily while on holiday even though unplanned), aesthetic services involving reusable instruments, or injection drug use.

http://www.healthyholiday.ca/en/home/index.aspx
Old January 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
Passenger

Hi Tara, Where are you from in Canada? I am from Edmonton.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Passenger

Hey!

I am on the Sunshine Coast in BC.