Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:42 PM
First Mate

Default Port Canaveral Rental Cars

I am going to fly into Orlando the day before my cruise. I was going to pickup a rental car at the airport, then drop it at the rental car company before the cruise.

Anyone have good or bad experience taking the shuttle from a rental car company to the ships? Any company better at this then the others?

Thanks,

Brian +++++
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Admiral

We have only used Budget and were very satisfied. Their return is the closed to the port. We arrived on cruise morning around 9:30 and they driver said he had a family pick up at the Disney port and asked us if we wanted to go early. We accepted and he waited till we finished the paperwork and off we went. Avis and Thrifty are about 3 miles down from the port.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Passenger

I second using Budget. The shuttle was easy to use and we didn't have to wait over a few minutes. They also picked us up the morning of disembarkation and took us back to get our car. I found a code on mousesavers.com to use and saved some money. Car rental really is the way to go!
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Passenger

Wait. Now i'm confused. I also am trying to figure out the best way to get from Orlando to the Port in July for our cruise. Are you saying you can rent a car in Orlando and drop it off at a return station at the Port? What about when you return from cruise to get back to the airport? Best way i've found so far is AAA Shuttle. For 40 per person round trip they will pick you up in Orlando and shuttle you to the Port and back when your cruise is done.
Old January 6th, 2007, 04:23 AM
First Mate

I've used Avis about 3 times in Cape canaveral so far. No problems at all and they have a nice 14 pax jitney.

Dhornick,
Yes you can rent a car at MCO and drop it off near the port with Budget, Avis, and Thrifty. no drop off fees and the shuttle will be there waiting when you get back to take you back to the office to re rent.

Bill
Old January 6th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S.Oceanlover
I've used Avis about 3 times in Cape canaveral so far. No problems at all and they have a nice 14 pax jitney.

Dhornick,
Yes you can rent a car at MCO and drop it off near the port with Budget, Avis, and Thrifty. no drop off fees and the shuttle will be there waiting when you get back to take you back to the office to re rent.

Bill
Thanks again Bill! Is this something you would reccomend? I mean renting a car at MCO using it to get to the Port, turn it in before the cruise then on arrival back rent a car to get back to the airport? Sound like it might be a good idea.
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornick
Quote:

Dhornick,

Bill
Thanks again Bill! Is this something you would reccomend? I mean renting a car at MCO using it to get to the Port, turn it in before the cruise then on arrival back rent a car to get back to the airport? Sound like it might be a good idea.
This is what we are doing, We arrive in Orlando at 5:00pm on the Friday before we sail and we are renting a mini van (there are 5 of us) and driving to Cape Canaveral and staying in a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite at the embassy suites residence inn ($188.70 including taxes with AAA card) and dropping the vehicle off, on Saturday (this will give us the chance to do any last minute shopping or whatever before we board the ship.) Then on our return we have reserved a mini van and will drive it back to Orlando and do some sight seeing before heading to the airport, our flight doesn't leave until 6:00pm. The rental will be approx. $160.00 for both ways which is cheaper than all most all the shuttle services would charge for 5 people and we also won't be tied down to the shuttles schedule.

Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Glory 2007
RCCL Navigator of the Sea 2004
Carnival Elation 2002
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhornick
Quote:

Dhornick,

Bill
This is what we are doing, We arrive in Orlando at 5:00pm on the Friday before we sail and we are renting a mini van (there are 5 of us) and driving to Cape Canaveral and staying in a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite at the embassy suites residence inn ($188.70 including taxes with AAA card) and dropping the vehicle off, on Saturday (this will give us the chance to do any last minute shopping or whatever before we board the ship.) Then on our return we have reserved a mini van and will drive it back to Orlando and do some sight seeing before heading to the airport, our flight doesn't leave until 6:00pm. The rental will be approx. $160.00 for both ways which is cheaper than all most all the shuttle services would charge for 5 people and we also won't be tied down to the shuttles schedule.
Excellent idea. I've checked on a rental car as well and it is way cheaper to rent a car at Orlando, drive to the Port turn it in and do the same on the return. Looks liek the way to go to me and plus you wont feel restricted by not having some wheels if you need to make a last minute dash to the store or something..... We're doin it.
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I rented a car from National in Orlando and turned it in at Coco Beach. National had a free shuttle to the port. It was very convenient.
Inspiration - June, 2007
Carnival Valor - May, 2007
Carnival Glory - August, 2005
Carnival Glory - April, 2004
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Sensation - September, 2000
Paradise - June, 2000
SS Norway - May, 1996
Fantasy - November, 1993
SS Norway - May, 1993
Old January 10th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Passenger

Thanks to the advice on here...I'm flying into Orlando and getting a rental at the airport and driving to Cape Canveral and returning it there. They will then shuttle us to the ship. I know that Avis offers this as does Budget.
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Beginner

Default Busy Traveler

Does anyone know anything about Busy Traveler Transport Service? I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get to Port Canaveral for 9 people. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Busy Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlflowers00
Does anyone know anything about Busy Traveler Transport Service? I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get to Port Canaveral for 9 people. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
We used priceless transportation for our our group, there were also 9 of us. We had a van just for us, and it was nice to let someone else do the driving. Round trip was $170 + tip for all of us, and there is a $5 coupon that you can print from their website, the link is; http://www.pricelesstransportation.c.../rates=mco.htm

Here is a link with a bunch of other transport companies if you want to shop around; http://www.portcanaveral.org/portinfo/groundtrans.htm

Carnival Imagination 2008
Carnival Destiny 2009
Carnival Valor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2011
Carnival Miracle 2012