Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Passenger

Default Leaving kids on ship?

Aug. will be our 1st cruise bringing the kids. I've been told you may leave the kids on board during ports if you choose...does anyone know if Carnival gives you any way of staying in contact, such as a pager or anything?

Thanks all for all the responses. I think I'm good...I'd delete this if I knew how...
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Admiral

I wouldn't know as I don't have kids anymore but, IMHO, I would NOT leave my children onboard without me there unless I had a quick way to get back and had a way of contact. I can imagine, off at a ruins tour about three hours away and the child gets very ill and upset on the ship... Uugghh!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry Tink. Have sailed 3x and haven't left the kids on the ship yet.

The kids love checking out the ports as much as we do. We always do research about the ports ahead of time and they usually find one thing each that they want to see if they can find (like a restaurant or hotel/resot, etc).

We make a game out if it and at 12 and 14 they still talk about what spots they are going to find on the next cruise.

Good luck.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Passenger

Thanks all. That's exactly why I'm asking...I won't be out of reach for my kids. They are very excited for the ports. I just thought that maybe after we do whatever shoretours that if they were anxious to get back and we wanted to shop for an hour or so, we could take them back and then shop a little. This is not something we would do unless Carnival has a way of us keeping in contact.
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Captain

We always leave our infant in the Lido buffet before going ashore, and pick her up at the Security office upon return. Works out quite well.

Aidan
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Passenger

Gee Aiden, what's with the attitude? Don't you think this service offered by Camp Carnival is a responsible one?
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
Gee Aiden, what's with the attitude? Don't you think this service offered by Camp Carnival is a responsible one?
Not at all; I was just being silly.
Old January 7th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Passenger

Oh...without any smiley faces or "haha's" in your message, it sounded like you dissaproved. Sorry for misreading it.
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:47 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to MrPete

NO NO NO!!

I read too many times of people missing ships. I can't imagine having that happen and my kids were on board!
Past Cruises: Explorer of the Seas 2008 Explorer of the Seas 2007 Carnival Victory 2007 Explorer of the Seas 2006 Legend 2005 Miracle 2004 Disney Wonder 2004; Pride 2003 Legend 2002 Disney Wonder 2002 Destiny 2001 Victory 2000 Triumph 1999 Jubilee 1998 Imagination 1997 Imagination 1996 Fascination 1995 Ecstasy 1993 Fantasy 1990 Jubilee 1990 NCL Seaward 1989 Jubilee 1988
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Y'all are so funny! On our last cruise we had booked the stingray city tour in Cayman. The night before the excursion, my son and nephew, ages 15 & 16 at the time, discovered the computers were down on the ship and they could order alcoholic drinks though room service with no problem. Apparently the news spread like wildfire throughout this age group on the ship. When we returned from all the nighttime onboard activities, the boys were drunk. Their little heads were pounding the next day, so they couldn't handle a trip on a little boat. We left them onboard in their cabins with strict instructions. Our shore trip was two hours late returning to the ship, but they didn't leave us because we booked through Carnival. When we got back, all was fine. I was frantic until I knew we would make it back onboard. The boys knew they were in big trouble. They had to stay by our sides for the rest of the trip , plus they had to work off the bar bill they ran up when they got back home. With that said, I wouldn't leave my teen daughter onboard.

One family in our group left their little one in Camp Carnival I believe. Everything was fine when they returned. The mom was worried as well because they were on the same shore excursion. Their child was totally thrilled with the day in camp.

No, I didn't raise a fuss with Carnival over the boys being served drinks. I did punish my son for breaking our rules. You can't go through life taking advantage of situations that are wrong in the first place.
Old January 7th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with the others. Just too many things that ( probably won't -- but--- ) can go wrong, either with the kids or yourself while you are ashore. You probably would be worried all the time anyway so may as well have them with you.
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Admiral

I'm going to put on my "flameproof" suit and say that if you want to leave your children on the ship while you go on excursions it's fine. If they are old enough to sign themselves out of Camp Carnival you can change that so they can't. Check out "Camp Carnival" on the Carnival website. Here's just an example of the 9-11 year olds (Tink, I don't know how old your children are):

"Children 9 YEARS OLD AND OVER are free to sign themselves in and out of Camp Carnival as they choose for any time and for any reason. Camp Carnival is not responsible for children 9 years old and over once they have signed themselves out of a Camp Carnival Activity. Children are not permitted to sign themselves out after 10pm. Parents that do not want their 9-11 to sign themselves in & out of our activities MUST sign their child in & out when attending Camp Carnival. "

Since they do offer the program during port days, I'd say they know what they're doing !

If there's a problem on your (independent) excursion and you don't make it back to the ship, the children won't be left alone to "prowl" the ship!

Many people do leave their little ones onboard and I've never heard of any problems (mstill, your's aren't considered "little ones"! And, BTW, ! BIG trouble ).

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Edited by me, because this has turned into a fight, instead of info.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 8th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Admiral

I have to back up Fern on his particular subject. Funny, Fern and I seem to agree on a great many things....I think she's very cool!
I always feel as though I am doing a juggling act. Is my child safer in Camp Carnival or in port? Alot of it depends what I intend to do ashore and if its something that I feel is safe for my small children.
As my children get older I can take them on more adventures and as a result they probably will spend more time with d/h and I on excursions than in Camp Carnival. It is up to me to ensure I plan excursions and I have a back-up plan in the event things should go awry.
My kids love going to the kid's club and would actually be upset if they didn't have their time there for at least a few hours a day, port or not.
On our first cruise, our kids were 2 and 4. to put it simply, they did not go off the ship, period! end of story! D/h and I chose excursions that were not too far away and were able to return to the ship with our tour or independantly by taxi if needed. We do not drink in excess as a rule simply because we have to have our wits about us at all times, because we are travelling with small kids and we always keep an eye on time constraints and ensure we are on ship's time.
Now our kids are 4 and 6 even though its only been two years, it makes a world of difference. We'll be going on our 4th cruise in two months and the kids will be joining us on excursions in 3 out of 4 ports. At least thats our plan right now. The kids may persuade us to allow them to hang out at the kids club instead of joining us but we'll see.
I have great confidence in the staff of Camp Carnival, however if you do leave your children on the ship be certain you have a plan "B" just in case.
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Admiral

Fern!! Flame on!!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 9th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Admiral

Luanne,
I am curious where you found the story about the Camp Carnival incident in your previous post. I went to events at sea and found nothing over the past 3 years. Since I have never seen only one person working in Camp Carnival even on a smaller ship at off peak times, there were at least 5 counselors working there, it seems like a very highly unlikely event and I am would like to find the source for this story. The one thing that I found on our Carnival cruises is the fact that they strictly enforced the policy that the only person they would release the children to was the person who signed them in. As a matter of fact once I signed the kids in and they would not allow d/h to pick them up. He had to call me to come get them because I was the one who signed them in.
As for the other situations, those are absolutely horrible, and a good reason why even though Carnival will allow them to sign themselves out at a certain age, I personally would not allow it. Either they are with me or at Camp.
Lastly, I don't think anyone ever answered the original poster's question...
Yes they will either give you a wireless phone or a pager to contact you while your small children are in Camp, however neither of these will work while you are off the ship. What we did was purchase some very high power walkie talkies that had I believe a 10 mile range and labelled them with the kids names and let my oldest son put it on his belt loop or give it to the camp counselors to hold on to so they might reach us during an emergency.
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Admiral

I wouldn't leave my kids on the ship. After all, they've come a long way too, they might enjoy seeing the sights also. You don't say how old your kids are, but they might want to get off of the ship, and you can always return, as you stated, put them back onboard, then do your shopping. But still there is always a risk.....you are still a parent responsible for your kids, even if you are on a cruise....

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old January 9th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Passenger

Huge Thanks to Luanne & Fern!!! It's not that I don't appreciate everyone else's very cautious advice (however I do get enough of it from my mother-in-law) but all I wanted to know was IF Carnival had pagers or phones. Thanks for answering my question. I am a very protective mom. We are planning on taking the kids to ports with us but just wanted to know other options just in case...
Again thanks! Luanne, you rock! Loved your post.
Old January 9th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Admiral

You're welcome (I think) Not sure you were talking to me cause I'm not Luanne, but I'm glad I could answer your original question. I hope you have a great time.
Old January 9th, 2007, 05:29 PM
First Mate

Default kids on ship vs kids on shore

Just a word to the wise, no matter how old the kids are, they can find some way to get in trouble. if they are with you , and you can handle it, if you leave them on the ship and they get in some trouble, well who knows.
bob :o
Old January 9th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
I am a very protective mom. .
Then why would you leave them on board by themselves if that is the case? And I'm still wondering how old your kids are... If they are going to miss a major part of the trip, why bring them at all?

Just my opinion, which I believe is what you asked for...

Happy Cruising!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old January 9th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Who says allowing your kids to go to Camp Carnival for a time is "missing a major part of the trip"? That is ridiculous, as well as the assumption that the OP isn't a protective mother because she goes ashore while her kids don't.
There are probably just as many scary things that could happen to our kids off the ship as the bad things that can happen on the ship while in our care or the camp staff. Everytime we leave our home we expose ourselves and our children to potential peril, is that to say we shouldn't go anywhere? The poster isn't wanting to leave them "by themselves" anyway. She wants to allow them to go to Camp Carnival and anyone who has experinced Camp Carnival know that it is very, very far from being left alone. Now if you allow your child to sign themselves out of Camp that is an entirely different subject. If this mom wasn't protective, she wouldn't have come here asking questions about how to stay in touch with her kids while in Camp.
My children have benefitted in so many ways from cruising. Shoot, my two year old learned to recognize numbers and count to 15 by pushing the elevator buttons on cruise ships and no, we didn't abandon her and let her ride up and down all day unsupervised. Camp Carnival is a very exciting and wonderful part of my children's cruising experience and it is not a dumping ground for unwanted children whose parents are on vacation. I personally take offense when people attempt to infer that, and thats just my opinion.
I do not feel she (or anyone else who chooses to allow their kids to attend Camp) deserves that critisism.
Happy cruising to you too!
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Hi Luanne,

Since we almost always agree on things, I'd like to know what you posted before you deleted it! I can only go by what I've read and what I've heard on board.

It might very well have changed my mind about leaving the children at Camp Carnival . I'm always open to new information!

Thanks, beenie weenie . I think we should sail together some day, along with Luanne! I learned something new just now. I didn't know there were walkie talkies that had at 10 mile range! Those would be great for anyone who wanted to stay in touch.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Passenger

Oops, yes I did mean thanks to BeenieWeenie for answering my original post and being realistic about the whole thing.
Yes, Luanne I agree, this has turned into a war. I certainly didn't mean for it to. I really wish I knew how to delete my original post.
JeanS, not to be rude but I did not ask for anyone's opinion on whether I should leave my kids at Camp Carnival...I asked about pagers or phones being available.
Sorry everyone for the non-fun post. I will not respond again and HOPE NOBODY ELSE DOES EITHER. I HOPE TO LET THIS ONE DIE. Let's move on the something else.
Old January 9th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Admiral

I was just trying to point out some facts, and to where to get them. I didn't comment about being given pagers in Camp C, because I didn't know the answer, but I did see the title of the post. I thought OP deserved to know the facts, so that she and her family could weight the pros and cons.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 9th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Luanne, I was not upset at your post, but I had not heard anything of the specific scenario you mentioned and wanted to know where you had gotten that info so I could investigate it further, if nothing else but for my own peace of mind. It did seem very contrary to my own experiences and that is why I asked. There was nothing offensive at all in your posts and I don't know why you deleted them. Truly I want to know more about that situation so I can check it out myself. Knowledge is power!

If anyone is interested in the long range Walkie Talkies they can be found at Radio Shack and at Walmart.

I have to say I thought we were having a pretty productive dialogue going for quite a while, especially considering how inflamatory this particular subject tends to get. I don't have a problem with people having a different opinion than I do. I just felt Tink was acting like a very responsible and protective parent by coming here to ask questions and felt compelled to respond to a post I found offensive.
Its OK to agree to disagree or sometimes we might even agree...it could happen lol.
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Beenie, I didn't delete because I thought I said anything wrong. I was, just trying to give some facts, and like you said, let everyone read what I said for themselves. I deleted because the thread had gotten out of hand, and I didn't want to be the cause of feelings being hurt.

I can honestly say that I don't remember what thread I read about the Carnival employee quitting. I don't even remember if it was CM.

For the record, I don't think any of this happened to bad parents. I think it was uninformed parents.

I received an e-mail from someone who has been following our discussion, and asked what rule did I have for my kids, that I referred to in my other post. My sons are told not to hang out near the rail of the ship. I know, sounds dumb, but think about it, and today's teens. Kids fooling around one pretends to throw another off the ship. Something goes wrong, and they accidentally go over board. Or on our last cruise, son number 2 got in the hot tub with a young lady who in my opinion didn't have a bathing suit on, that was big enough. Come to find out, she also had a boyfriend, who was zealous. Don't want to be standing next to the rail with this guy.

Bottom line is that we all care about our kids, and everyone else's.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old January 10th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Okay Tink, of course you will do as you will, and just FYI, I wasn't the only one who made a comment about not leaving your kids on board.

Anyway, it's good that you plan to keep in touch w/your kids, I hope you find something that works! Happy Cruising!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Again, the original poster who said she will not post anymore, never did tell us how old her children were BUT...

When my girls were younger, and we only did it one time, YES, we did leave them on the ship while we took a tour. And NO, at that time we didn't have walkie/talkies, cell phones or a pager and they were fine. The
Camp Counselors and my kids had a great time. They truly enjoyed the "empty" ship.

The Counselors took them to the childrens pool, the lido deck for lunch, on a tour of the ship etc. My kids had a blast. Did I worry a little bit while I was on land? HELL YES...
Would I have done it again had the opportunity come up.... HELL YES...

Again, as nervous as we were the one time we did leave them, upon returning to the ship and seeing that the Counselors did such a great job with the kids, I would not hesitate to leave my children on board.

TO EACH HIS OWN....

Elaine