Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Default Costa Maya Excursions

Need help from past Carnival cruisers who went on Western Caribbean and visited Costa Maya. Looking for something cheap and fun. Need Serious Help!!! 8)
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Admiral

Try the ruins tour.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Admiral

In May, I'm going to Kohunlich Mayan site through Carnival cruisline. It's about 80 dollars and takes 7 hours. The city was built between 200 and 900 A. D. and highlights include Plaza of the Acropolis and Temple of the Mask with 6 foot stucco masks of the sun god which dates from the 6th century.
I'll give my report upon return. :o

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did the Chocchoben ruins, had fun, wasnt too expensive either.

Have fun no matter what you decide to do.

Tim
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Passenger

Can not go wrong with the beach break! Beautiful beach....free drinks......alcohol and non.......good food........plenty of chairs.......kayaks and pedal boats included........bus leaves at several different times to go back to the town so you have plenty of time to shop..........we have done this twice and the price is $39.00!

Freedom~November 2007
Victory~December 2006
Liberty~April 2006

Old January 8th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Beginner

I can vouch for the Beach Break. We did it in December - $39 - Open Bar and the most relaxing day of our cruise. Make sure you get a beach massage - $20 for a 40 minute massage. AWESOME!!!!!
Old January 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Passenger

We got off the ship, and walked around in the port area. There was a booth set up inside area and a man was selling a Tequila Beach Club day pass for $25pp. We had unlimited drinks, Mexican Snacks and could order one entree each off of the lunch menu. We got to use their beach loungers, and they have very clean bathrooms. The taxi ride was $3pp to get there and $2 back. Its right before you get to the fising village called Majahaul. We loved it there and would do it again in a second. The manager is from Indianapolis and was very friendly. Here is a link for the place. You can buy your tickets online but like I said they are cheaper at the port. Of course, there is no guarantee that they will be there again selling tickets, either.

http://www.costa-maya-tours.com/Tour_TequilaBeach.cfm

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great time!
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
In May, I'm going to Kohunlich Mayan site through Carnival cruisline. It's about 80 dollars and takes 7 hours. The city was built between 200 and 900 A. D. and highlights include Plaza of the Acropolis and Temple of the Mask with 6 foot stucco masks of the sun god which dates from the 6th century.
I'll give my report upon return. :o
We took this tour.. loved it. It is a very long ride to get to Kohunlich but well worth it. The masks are amazing so are the other excavated ruins.
Heads up. Bring toilet paper..lol.. especially the ladies.. the facilities there are not to great. they provide a snack which was ok.. the guides on the bus are wonderful and extremely knowledgeble. They also give you bottled water upon your return to the bus.
Another warning .. you will have absolutely NO TIME to shop at all. We were the last group to return to the ship.

These ruins are definitely worth the time if you have no interest in shopping or sitting on the beach. If you have been to Cozumel Tulum you know there are shops right there but not here.. at least no yet!

This year we are returning again on the Liberty and this time we will do the shorter tour to Chocchoben which are closer to the ship and dont take as long. They are also smaller and less excavated.

You will love this trip. They also sold a beautiful necklace for men and woman that we bought and love..
Old January 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM
Beginner

Beautiful port. Did not book excursion. We took taxi to downtown and bought a few souveniers and then came back to poolside port for food, and refreshment. Our son was adamant to retrieve a silver Livestrong bracelet from this port as it was advertised on ship. He found one and he did get it for good deal. Would not advise booking excursions through ships as very costly....we googled our other ports (Belize, Grand Cayman) and booked on line at http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/......Captain Bryan's stingray catamaran tour and then cave tubing with Yohni in Belize. In Playa Del Carmen we just took taxi to beach side resort I think Del Soel. It was all inclusive and good price for the day. Enjoy!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:32 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOM
We took this tour.. loved it. It is a very long ride to get to Kohunlich but well worth it. The masks are amazing so are the other excavated ruins.
Heads up. Bring toilet paper..lol.. especially the ladies.. the facilities there are not to great. they provide a snack which was ok.. the guides on the bus are wonderful and extremely knowledgeble. They also give you bottled water upon your return to the bus.
Another warning .. you will have absolutely NO TIME to shop at all. We were the last group to return to the ship.

These ruins are definitely worth the time if you have no interest in shopping or sitting on the beach. If you have been to Cozumel Tulum you know there are shops right there but not here.. at least no yet!

This year we are returning again on the Liberty and this time we will do the shorter tour to Chocchoben which are closer to the ship and dont take as long. They are also smaller and less excavated.

You will love this trip. They also sold a beautiful necklace for men and woman that we bought and love..
THANKS for the heads up and encouragement. Good thing I'm NOT a shopper or beach bum ! I love ruins instead. 8)

/ticker.png">
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:58 AM
First Mate

Default Kohunlich

We were amazied at how much has been excavated. Lots of walking. Really a beautiful site.

Our guide even took us to another spot not normally on the tour. We love touring HISTORICAL sites.. over sitting on the Beach.

Our 8 day trip will give us four at sea days.. Plenty of time to soak up the sun!

We were definitely the last tour back to the ship. THE ONLY WAY to see KOHUNLICH is by taking the CARNIVAL tour.. EXPENSIVE or NOT..

On the route to this place we would have been in big trouble if the vehicle broke down. Dont recall seeing one service station.

Plus this pier is a long hike. I would not like to have to run... to get back to the ship if I came in late. They even have a little shuttle to get you from the ship to the port.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Kohunlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOM
We were definitely the last tour back to the ship. THE ONLY WAY to see KOHUNLICH is by taking the CARNIVAL tour.. EXPENSIVE or NOT..

On the route to this place we would have been in big trouble if the vehicle broke down. Dont recall seeing one service station.

That sound just like the Xunantunich tour in Belize. That's why I always strongly prefer the ship excursions.
More than once the cruise director has proclaimed, "If your on your own and running a little bit late....what you need to do is have your cameria handy...so you can get this lovely photo of the ship leaving you behind".
Kohunlich is already booked and paid for..through Carnival. 8)

/ticker.png">