Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Passenger

Default [b]Honeymooning on Carnival Triumph[/b]

We will be honeymooning on the carnival triumph. Our port of calls are Ochio Rios Jamica, Cayman Islands, & Cozumel Mexcio. Are there any suggestions out there while we are in port. Also does anyone know where the straw market is in Jamica.
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Passenger

Also does anyone have any good ideas for New Orleans, that is where are ship sails out of.
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Passenger

Also if anyone has any pics from their Carnival triumph experience please share I would Love it
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Passenger

Also anyone going on the carnival tiumph on September 9, 2007 let me know we can coutdown together.
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Well hope you have a great time on your cruise and a happry life together. I am sure you will find lots of things to do. You might want to post on the Destinations under Carribean/Panama about the straw market. Also on web shots there are 7,300 pictures for you to look at. Have a great cruise and do what every honeymooners do.

08/29/09 - 09/05/09
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Passenger

Why thank you Carol B and just where are them web shots at? Thank you again. (thanks mom)
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

In New Orleans catch a cab and go to Mother's Restaurant. Visit the aquarium, have coffee and beignets at Morning Call. Go to the French Market. Check out the Cabildo, Presbytre & St Louis Cathedral in Jackson Square. Get your picture drawn, painted or caricatured. Watch the silver man (if he is there). Take a horse and buggy tour of the French Quarter. I don't know if Jax Brewery is open, but it isn't a brewery, it's shops. Go to the Riverwalk. Eat King Cake. Go to the French Market. Check out the antique stores in the French Quarter. Gotta see Bourbon Street. Have a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's. Buy some Mardi Gras beads and a feather boa. Go to the Imax theatre. Check out the paddle boats on the river. I don't know if the zoo is open yet. Take a tour of the devastated residential areas.

If you want to stay at a historical hotel, try the LePavilion. It has been said some of the rooms are haunted. Our room was spirit-free with comfy beds and a luxurious homey feel. Breakfast there is great.

If you have a day or so, take a swamp tour and visit some plantation homes. Tour buses are available to take you there. If you go to Oak Alley Plantation, the bar there serves a mint julep. I've only had one in my lifetime, but I now know how the southern ladies handled the heat in those days! They were too drunk to care. Thank God for a/c.

Most of all, spend money. Our businesses are struggling.
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Passenger

Thank you soo much. I have always wanted to experience New Orleans and now that our ship is leaving and docking there it is going to be amazing. I will take notes on everything you said thank you sooo much. If I only have a day what is the Not to miss thing that I should do. I am really into the whole mardi gras theme but also everything else, help. You gave me soo many choices. I know one thing that is out is the devasted homes I cried when I saw it on the news and teared up hearing you mention it iam too much of a softty for that stuff. God Bless you all.
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Passenger

Congrads to yall. My husband and I are going on the Triumph on the same cruise as you. We have been on this cruise before but went to Montego Bay but we are excited about Oios Rios. email me for information or questions
carol1560@bellsouth.net
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Passenger

How neat, I am excited to hear that you will be on the same ship as us. How long have you and your husband been married if you dont mind me asking. We are getting married on September 8, 2007. We both have cruised before but not alone. We have always gone on family cruises with the parents, this one is all ours. I am VERY EXCITED. Both my future husband and myself are younger I will be 22 and he will be 23 do they have a younger atmospher on the ship. What kind of activities did they have when you went on the ship. I am soooooo exicted. I very glad to hear from you please keep in touch. I like having somone other than my futuer husband to get excited with. Are you guys celebrating on this cruise or are you just going because. Well I am glad you posted thank you very much. I look forwarded to hearing from you again. Also is there a steak house onboard the ship?

~Ashley
Old January 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Okay, if you have limited time and you want to see a little bit of Mardi Gras, go to Mardi Gras World. their website is www.mardigrasworld.com. They offer tours from 9:30 - 4:30. You will be able to see some Mardi Gras floats up close. You really should take the horse and buggy tour and get a taste of New Orleans food.

If I had 10 hours I would go to Mardi Gras World for 4 hours. You have to take the free Algiers ferry across the river, but I think there is free shuttle from that point to Mardi Gras World. Get on the ferry at 9:00 so you can be in the first tour group. Bring your camera because you get to try on costumes. Get back on the ferry to cross back to the right side of the river. Catch a cab to Mother's Restaurant. The lunch crowd should have dwindled down. (There is usually a line down the block). Order a roast beef poboy dressed, cup of seafood gumbo and a seafood platter to share. After lunch walk to Jackson Square for the horse (actually a mule) and buggy tour. I can't remember, but I think the tour lasts an hour or so. Then spend the rest of the time in the Quarter, at the French Market or on Bourbon Street (depending upon your tastes). Your last stop should be at Cafe' du Monde or Morning Call (I can't remember which one is on the corner by Jackson Square) for cafe au lait and beignets.

If time is really limited pick Mardi Gras World or the buggy tour and lunch.

It's going to be HOT in September. August is the worst for heat. September starts to cool down a bit, but only in the evenings. Dress in light clothing.
Old January 16th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Passenger

Thank you sooo much. You have been a HUGE help to me. I love all your info. I cannot thank you enough and dont worry I will be spending enough money. Do you work and live in New Orleans? Again thank you.
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Hey Tink,
I'm from New Orleans. We moved to Baton Rouge about 16 years ago . It's only an hour away from New Orleans (45 min if you push it). We still have family in the suburbs of New Orleans. We all survived the storm. I regularly work in New Orleans .

I haven't done the tourist thing in a while, so I had to think about what things would give you a taste of New Orleans in a short time. The tour is informational, if you've never been to New Orleans....and if you have a good tour guide. If you can't get to Mother's Restaurant, there is a restaurant called Landry's right on the edge of Jackson Square. It's overpriced and the food is okay. If you've never had New Orleans cuisine, you will enjoy it. The locals go to other restaurants. There is another restaurant down there, but I can't remember the name and I don't know if it's open.

As you walk around, don't be afraid to look in the lobbies of the hotels. Some of them have remarkable decor. The Renaissance Arts Hotel has beautiful glass work and wonderful beds. There is a park/walkway area on the river side of the levee that will give you a great view of the river. It's not the walkway by the Riverwalk, although that one is good. We call it the Moon Walk. I don't know the actual name of it, but if you cross the levee by Jax Brewery, it should be close to there. When I was in high school (and we won't even guess how long ago that was) the park wasn't there and there were private little areas. It was a teen hangout for all the things you do in the dark . I'm not necessarily admitting to actually being there during that time , I'm just telling the story! It's quite nice now and I think you and your new hubby would like the view. Enjoy!

One final thing...don't go down the little side streets in the Quarter...stay with the crowd. If you are ever in a place and you don't see people, get back to the crowd. If you get lost, ask a shopowner or a policeman. Don't necessarily take the word of someone on the street. Always be on guard and be aware of your surroundings. Look ahead and anticipate trouble areas where a fight may be brewing. These are the same things I tell my children when they go to the Quarter.

Bourbon Street after the 2003(?) LSU Sugar Bowl win was crazy, but we went after the game 8) . We were just careful. I don't think the crowds will be as thick as they normally are. If you are jammed in, walk in a single file holding hands or holding on to shirts. And yes, the guys are looking at your butt and yes, they did mean to touch you...it wasn't an accident . The daytime is usually pretty tame, but nighttime is a whole different story. Everything you see on tv does happen . Buy your beads...don't earn them! I think almost every girl at one time or another has had enough to drink and will earn her beads by showing her boobs. Not me of course!

You will have a great time!

Melody
Old January 17th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Passenger

Melody wow you have been such a huge help to me. I am very excited to hear that you all survived the hurricaqne. My family and I live in Ohio and when I was watching all the news from hurricane Katrina my heart was breaking for all of you. But I am glad you are all ok and rebuilding. I very anxious to see your beautiful city and all the history. Again you have no idea how much help you have been to me. I really enjoy talking to you. You have alot of good insight and thats exactly what I need. I hope to hear more exciting news and more tips later thank you sooo much.

~Ashley