Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default How much to Tip the Room Stewards?

I never know how much to tip...in addition to the money they get from the 10.00 a day tip that Carnival adds to your bill for each person. Then I always have the dilemma of not knowing how to split it between the "head steward" and his helper...any words of wisdom? We cruised in December and we gave the both of them 75.00 (together...not each) ...is that a good tip? I have absolutely NO idea. Thanks~
Raina
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The guidelines for the room attendant is $3.50 a day per person, so for a 7 day cruise that would be just under $25 for one, so for two, I'd give the cabin attendant $50, same for the waiter in the dining room and the asst. waiter averages $2.00 per day per person...

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Donna, thanks...so you give this money in addition to what Carnival puts on your credit card? that's what I meant....they get the tip from the ten dollars a day that Carnival charges AND a 75.00 tip from me also...is that a good tip? a bad tip? we tip them in cash.
thanks
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: How much to Tip the Room Stewards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINA
We cruised in December and we gave the both of them 75.00 (together...not each) ...is that a good tip? I have absolutely NO idea.
Anything over the minimum amount will be appreciated. I think what you gave is OK. I do see the assistant waiters doing a lot more than they used to. Some do the same amount of work as the head waiter. In that case I would give them both an equal amount.

And don't forget the cabin stewart. If s/he "took care of you", then I would tip accordingly.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Irish,
That's what I meant. I tipped my room steward 75.00 in cash in addition to the 10.00 a day per person that Carnival puts on my credit card...I was wondering if a 75.00 tip for the room steward for a seven day cruise was a "good tip" or not.
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you feel they went above and beyond their normal duties an additional tip is fine and what you gave is generous. There is no need to tip above the guidelines unless the stewards and the waiters do something special for you.

There is no need to think you are REQUIRED to give an additional gratuity if it is added to your on board account or to give more than the guidelines.

Tipping is a personal issue and if you feel someone deserves more then go ahead a give it to them. It is best to give it to them in an envelope, with a note, at the end of the cruise. The $20 handshake is better than nothing but a personal note with money is appreciated.

Also, cash is appreciated much more than "stuff". They have limited living space so gifts may make you feel good but are often not really needed or appreciated. If you do give a gift, talk with the person first to find out what they do need.

JUST DON'T TAKE YOURSELF OFF THE AUTOMATIC TIPPING PROGRAM ON THE LINES THAT HAVE IT. This causes more problems then it solves for the service staff.

Take care,
Mike

Upcoming Cruise(s) Carnival Liberty: May 31, 2014. The Anniversary Getaway.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Hi Irish,
That's what I meant. I tipped my room steward 75.00 in cash in addition to the 10.00 a day per person that Carnival puts on my credit card...I was wondering if a 75.00 tip for the room steward for a seven day cruise was a "good tip" or not.
Ah, I thought that " "head steward and his helper" were the resturant crew. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Yes $75 to the room stewart is a very nice tip.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

OK thanks you guys. I had absolutely NO idea...I also didn't know that you didn't HAVE to tip MORE than what Carnival puts on your credit card (the ten bucks a day PP)...I really didn't know and I don't want to do the wrong thing...I always worry if the cash I give is adequate or not. Thanks for your help!
Raina
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Raina,
I get your question now.....YES, that was almost way too much in addition to the $10 per day....Hopefully you felt the service deserved that. Most of the time unless someone does something really over the top, Ijust leave it at the requested amount and possibly add 10 or 20 if needed, so you did fine, more than fine.

As for tipping for room service, usually a few dollars to the person who delivers it is fine as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Passenger

Default How much to Tip the room Steward's

I had such great service from our cabin steward on the Inspiration, I, we, Hubby and I gave him an extra $50.00 for the week. I guess It's according to the service you get. Which our service was above and beyond.[/b]
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Hi Donna, thanks...so you give this money in addition to what Carnival puts on your credit card? that's what I meant....they get the tip from the ten dollars a day that Carnival charges AND a 75.00 tip from me also...is that a good tip? a bad tip? we tip them in cash.
thanks
$75.00 on top of what you already were charged is quite generous. Even if I get great service I've never given more than $30.00 additional. Maybe I'm cheaper than I thought.

Bill
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Passenger

When I went on the Victory my room steward was fabulous so I gave him an extra $40 at the end of the week. On the Liberty last week my room steward didn't exactly please me (although we told her every night that we had dinner seating at 8 pm, she would show at 7 - 7:30 to do up our room, she took our towels every day and didn't put new ones in so we had to hunt her down...) so we didn't give her any extra beyond the carnival mandated tip. However, our waiter and his assistant were the most FABULOUS EVER and we gave them both a very large amount at the end.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayzy
so we didn't give her any extra beyond the carnival mandated tip.
It's not mandated. If the service was that poor, tell the hotel manager and take the tip away.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Just remember, one or two bucks a day per person at a hotel is more than most housekeeping people see.
10.00 a day per person (20.00) a room will go a long way towards tipping the room and wait staff.
Of course, grease it a little for "extra" service.
Dan