Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default shore excursion tipping question

Do you tip on shore excursions? Just curious as they are so expensive to start off with. We leave for Panama Canal in 28 days...:-) and i was wondering - on an excursion such as this that cost 175.00 per person-- does anyone tip? And whom? Thanks
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: shore excursion tipping question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
Do you tip on shore excursions?
I generally give the tour director [and often the driver] a couple of dollars. The exact amount--which is never very large--varies with what they do for me personally
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: shore excursion tipping question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleq
Quote:
Do you tip on shore excursions?
I generally give the tour director [and often the driver] a couple of dollars. The exact amount--which is never very large--varies with what they do for me personally
Same here ...I take quit a few 1 dollar bills with me and give them out as tips. Usually 2$ to each, guide and driver.
By the way, I did the same Panama Canal tour last year and loved it.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 23rd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Thanks so much for the 'tip' on the panama canal excursion. I am truly worried about it being 'boring' but for 175.00 pp I pray it is worth it. Thanks for easing my mind!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Admiral

It truly depends upon the situation. If you get a tour guide who is very helpful, engaging and full of great information, then yes i would tip. If you get a tour guide who seems like they could not care less and are reading from a script then no. Same goes for the driver, if you get a driver who is very helpful, then i would tip.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks so much for the 'tip' on the panama canal excursion. I am truly worried about it being 'boring' but for 175.00 pp I pray it is worth it. Thanks for easing my mind!
The Panama Canal depends much on your interest in the history of the endeavor. Of significance is the fact approximately 27,500 lives were lost in the construction. In 1880 the French started construction but that collapsed, then the US completed it in 1914. The difference was malaria and yellow fever from the mosquitoes, of which the Americans found ways to prevent. Overcoming disease was as important as engineering in building a canal through 48 miles of jungle and shorting the trip from New York to San Francisco from 14,000 miles to 6000 miles. At the Gailard Cut, they had to move about 8 miles of mountain at the continental divide.
On the tour we drove from the Atlantic side which is WEST to the EAST towards the Pacific. The geography is inverted or transposed. The ferry went through the Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks, but not the Gatun Locks. At 175$ its expensive, but we only live once and there is only one Panama Canal. 8) enjoy

/ticker.png">