CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Balcony doors on Carnival (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/326557-balcony-doors-carnival.html)

showcat January 22nd, 2007 05:14 AM

Balcony doors on Carnival

What do you use to keep them open?

Gail F January 22nd, 2007 06:12 AM

We used our luggage , We could only use it for short periods as it shuts the air condiition off

coder01 January 22nd, 2007 08:01 AM

We use a bungee cord.

Cruisegirl2 January 22nd, 2007 08:14 AM

On the Conquest, we did not keep our door open. First, the door is very heavy. I had brought bungee cords but never used them. Actually, it was warmer outside than inside and we did not want the door open. It does turn the A/C off. Never did prop it open.

dottiel January 22nd, 2007 08:27 AM

We used a rolled up washcloth on the Spirit during our Alaskan cruise. Worked fine.

lizhurley January 22nd, 2007 03:14 PM

Holding the HEAVY door Answer!

We just got back yesterday from the Mexican Riviera on the Carnival Pride, we had a balcony also... We used the Ice tongs to hold the door open believe it or not. You just open the door all the way and slide the tongs in length-wise and it worked like a charm!

Irish Shark January 22nd, 2007 03:20 PM

I have never been on a Carnival ship. Why do you need to prop the door open? Does it lock you out if it closes?

lizhurley January 22nd, 2007 03:23 PM

It doesn't lock you out, it just closes. Unless you have something to keep it from closing, like the Ice Tongs! I'm telling you, that worked so good. You could just relax on the bed with the balcony door open and fresh sea air coming in. It was SO nice!

Irish Shark January 22nd, 2007 03:26 PM

Ok. I am used to the sliding doors in the cabin. No need to prop them open.

showcat January 22nd, 2007 03:35 PM

That's too funny about the ice tongs, and wash cloth. I think I will start a new tread called alterior uses for things on a ship! ha LOL

Popeye January 22nd, 2007 05:05 PM

We used bungie cord on carnival trimuph. I'm a sound sleeper,and 26 years a sailor, so dosen't make much differance to me, but a nice novelty for my wife and she lover the sound of the ocean at night.

turkeyman January 22nd, 2007 07:06 PM

If the AC goes off when you open the door, use a magentic pad, (The kind everyone has holking notes on their frig), on the door latch. That usually negates the AC on/off switch.

Cruisin'Mama January 22nd, 2007 11:55 PM

In order to keep the door open, what do you hook the bungee cord to? From the door knob to what...? From the pictures I've seen (unless you're in a suite), there is only a wall there. Somebody...please educate this po' old country girl! :-?

turkeyman January 23rd, 2007 04:56 AM

There was a pie shaped piece of wood or plastic, (can't remeber which), next to the door that opens to the hall. It's used to keep the door open when your steward is servicing your cabin. It's kinda hidden under the closet door.

cherylroy January 23rd, 2007 08:07 AM

bungie cord --- and we keep it open 90% of the time which is why we cruise in February or cooler months. Love the sound of the ocean! Especially at night!!! Automatic fan. :wink:

rinker250 January 23rd, 2007 06:07 PM

This will be our first balcony and didn't know to ask about the door.
I figure a slider can be kept open with a rubber door stop.
We are on the NCL Pearl.
If it is a swing door...will a stopper work?
One and a half inches tall.
Dan