Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2007, 07:17 PM
First Mate

Default Need some advice on excursions before booking final time

Ok, gunna finalize our excursions but first I have a couple of questions.

1) Would we REALLY be missing out if we stay on the ship in Jamaica? We will be traveling with our two kiddos, ages 8 and almost 5. What ONE excursion would you suggest if you had to pick just one?

2) Can we do Grand Cayman on our own or should we join with a group?

3) What about Cozumel? Tell me something we just can't miss!

We've been scratching our heads and trying to figure out what we would like to do since we'll have the kids with us.

They won't think it's life's end if they don't go to the beach (they visit Hawaii every year to see grandparents) so that's not a MUST do thing. But it would be nice at at least one port.

PLEASE help us out! Thanks.....

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Just in my opinion with kids ages 8 and 5, I would go to the turtle farm in the Caymans - they will just awwww over all the turtles! In Cozumel I would head over to chankaubab (however I have not been there since the hurricane) because they have dolphins, sea lions, snorkeling, and just an all around good time for a 10.00 admission fee (unless it went up). In Jamaica -- don't go out on your own - go on an excursion - perhaps dunns falls they may enjoy! Enjoy!!!
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:36 PM
First Mate

Yup, we know not to do Jamaica on our own, read way to many stories on these boards!

Thanks so much for the info, we'll look into your suggestions once we get the kids to bed

Old February 7th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Admiral

look into doing an excursion with the stingrays in Grand Caymen. Its a great excursion for the family,i would recommend using Captain Marvin.
I am not sure of the age restrictions for Dunns River Falls, the older one might be able to climb the falls with you. I would also look into spending some time at Margueritaville, fun family place or you could book a day pass at one of the inclusive hotels for beach access.
Cozumel - Channunkaab Park - great place for the family to spend the day. There are lots of family friendly beaches to choose from also.
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

For Jamaica I would book the river float excursion through Carnival. It is fun, but at a slower pace than the white water rafting.

For Grand Cayman do the sting Ray tour. There are several, so lots to pick from. Little one might have to be floated, or carried, but it will be an experience they will never forget.

I agree about going to the park in Cozumel. The sea lions are not back yet, but the dolphins are there. E-mail Dolphin Discovery to get advanced tickets, and discounts on park admission.

Have a great cruise!!!

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

I took my kids - ages 5 and 6 - on the Grand Cayman stingray tour. Took first tour available since the rays all come in for breakfast. My little guy was a bit intimidated at first - last one to get out of the boat and into the water - and he was the LAST one back in the boat. They loved it!

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Dottie,

With little ones, in Jamaica I would consider the Rose Hall Beach Tour, plenty of sand and sun with lots to do. You could make a run to Margaritaville by taxi. If you dock in Montego Bay, the ride to the falls is long.

Grand Cayman---Stingray City...you've gotta do it at least once. Then go back to the village for some shopping and don't forget the rum cake.

Cozumel---everything everyone has suggested would be great for your kids. We did some shopping here too!

My baby is 18, so we will be zip lining in Jamaica with a trip to Margaritaville. Scuba in Grand Cayman (and buy rum cake). Dolphin Encounter (the one where you swim with the dolphins) or scuba in Cozumel, with a run to the beach, Carlos and Charlies and I have to pick up some vanilla in Cozumel.

Have FUN!

Melody
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Admiral

agree with Luanne that the White River rafting is very appropriate for the kids; you can get a raft for you and the youngest and intertubes for the older ones; don't book the excursion with the lunch included, it is extra and just another buffett; eat lunch at Margaritaville or back on the boat. If you chose to eat at Margaritavile; ask the driver to drop you off at the entrance to the complex the restaurant is located in. There is a pool slide at Margaritaville and some beach activities nearby as well.

Grand Cayman: stingray city is a must and there may even be time left over the the turtles
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:24 AM
First Mate

Well I booked (thanks to you alls advice!):

1) JAMAICA: Rose Hall Resort, thought this would be GREAT after sailing for two days.

2) GRAND CAYMAN: Stingray Sandbar Tour

3) COZUMEL: Dolphin Encounter

We appreciate your help and advice! We're so excited that in 36 days we will be cruising and have the time of our lives!!!!