Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Default Reading reviews

I sat down at the computer the other night and read 32 different reviews for the Glory. By the time I finished I'm thinking to myself, were these people on the same ship? Most of the reviews had only good things to say about the ship. They loved it and had no bad experiences with anything. Then there were the ones that could find nothing but bad things to write about. It was kind of funny to read how different people view that exact same ship. What makes the experiences so different that it sounds like 2 different ship they were talking about? Are some people just to hard to please nothing makes them happy and some people just take things in stride that might make somebody else unhappy? So after reading those 32 reviews how do I feel about my upcoming cruise on her? I'll just wait and judge it myself. I will tend to believe the good reviews more so than the bad. I plan on enjoying the cruise and forming my own opinion when we get back.

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Somewhere in the Cruisemates archives is a post from me, just like yours. I said almost the same thing. I still read reviews, but the difference now is that I know that two people can be on a cruise, and both could be the opposite in views. I no longer take them so serious.

Some people can find good in anything, but some can not be pleased!!!

I have heard from people who say that the Glory is a great ship, and gives you a great cruise.

Have fun

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

My perspective on this is this, I am not a complainer normally. I normally take things in stride and don't let things bother me. Now, I did not have a very good experience on the Glory, but that was me, we did hear others complaining also, Bad food, Bad service , not very friendly crew members and so on. Then on the other hand I heard people say that this was the best vacation that they ever had and I observed people receiving outstanding service, just not our group. . Personally I did not care for the layout of the Glory, of the 3 cruises that I have been on I had the best service by far on the Elation, I enjoyed the Navigator of the seas ship layout the best. The food on the Elation was far and away the best both in taste and in presentation. The crew on the Elation was very personable as was the crew on the NOS. I surely can't say the same for the crew on the Glory. We had to initiate the introductions with our dinning room staff and our room steward and even as we did introduce ourselves to our dinning room staff, they never did introduce themselves, we had to read their name tags to get their names. The first few nights in the dinning room, the four tables that our waiter was serving were the last tables by far to finish getting served. It took a couple of talks with the asst. Maitre D' and getting up and leaving after waiting more than 15 minutes to get our dessert of ice cream, and this was at 8:15 for the 6:15 seating time.
After that event, we along with the other tables, were the first tables finished each night after, almost to fast of service. The dessert fiasco wasn't the only problem, just the last one that broke the camels back.

I am just glad that this was not our first cruise, as it definitly didn't leave a great impression on us. I do know that it was more abnormal than normal, I probably just wont sail on her again.

Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Glory 2007
RCCL Navigator of the Sea 2004
Carnival Elation 2002
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Admiral

Everybody has bad days especially if you go with the intent to have a bad time.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Admiral

I'm not changing our plans just because of some bad reviews. I'll make my decision after we cruise. Some people read a bad review and then think that it must be the worst ship in the fleet. We loved the Elation and I really hate that she is moving to CA. because we would sail her again in a heartbeat is she was still in Port C. I am one of the most easy, laid back people around so it would really have to be a bad experience for it to bother me. After reading those 32 reviews it was just funny how so many people could view the exact same ship with such opposite views. To each his own. It would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Need some cruise help?
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Admiral

The ultimate goal of a review is to report objectively about the events of the cruise. (without exaggeration or generalizations)

However, sadly, this rarely happens. And this is unfortunate, because readers are left to the "opinions" of some people who just have a star fish up their fanny.

The good news is that with a little "balance" you can read even the worst reviews and get some constructive information from them.

Read the worst reviews and ask yourself 3 questions:

1. Were the complaints of this cruise valid? (specific, reasonable)
OR were they of the "star fish variety"? (ie : all the food was horrible)

2. If the complaints were valid, do they apply to me? If someone complains about Camp Carnival and you don't have kids..then this does not apply to you.

3. If the complaints are valid and do apply to me, can I (now armed with this knowledge) go and still have a GREAT (not just a good time). If the answer is yes...then I book it.

A good example is the New York Sirloin Steak. I only eat beef. I have had this steak on 15 different recent Carnival cruises on 14 different ships. It is always tough and dry. (except for once on the Miracle)

Now, we leave next month on the Fantasy and I will be ordering the steak. I know it won't be the best, but I can deal with it. I know the rest of the beef fare will be fine. I know what to expect.

As a very seasoned traveler (not just a cruiser) I have learned the best thing you can pack is a good attitude. It is like the Serenity Prayer...I control what I can, don't worry about what I can't control and pray for the wisdom to know the difference.

And it could be that Carnival is not the cruise line for you. There are many many cruise lines out there. They all deliver a different product. Not worse or better.....just different based on what the individual wants.

Even different ships within the Carnival fleet give a little different experience.

May you find a lifetime to "perfect fits"!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Admiral

My intent in reading the reviews was not to start judging the Glory. I was just interested in what people had to say. It seemed most of the bad things were about the food and to honest with you as long as I don't have to cook it I don't really care. We are happy eating a hamburger, hot dog, sandwich and from the buffet. The dining room is not really "our thing". Yes, I know we are weird for not wanting to eat in it, but we are just much more happy in a non-formal atmosphere. The food in the dining room on the Elation was okay. Not great, but not awful. But, then again we are not food experts so I wouldn't even begin to write a review knocking the food. I can't compare ships having only been on one. I thought everything about the Elation was great. I will go on the Glory with the attitude that all will be good. I won't have to cook, make a bed or clean a room, that in itself makes the trip GREAT.

Need some cruise help?
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

I think if you have a good attitude and don't let the little things get to you its hard to not have a good time on any ship. Our last cruise was the Destiny. I read a lot of really negative reviews before we left, but didn't let it bother me. Since we've cruised her I did have to agree that the food wasn't great. We didn't go hungry (and I'm with you, if I don't have to cook it its fine), it certainly wasn't anything like what we had on prior cruises. Did it ruin my cruise? Certainly not. In fact, we just booked the Destiny again. Can't beat the price and we loved the ports.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 8th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Captain

Floridanamaw,

My DH and I loved the Glory. We went to the Eastern Caribbean and thought it was beautiful. I don't know if you are going to the Western Caribbean or the Eastern, but I can't imagine you not having a great time.

Please let us know how it turns out. Happy cruising to all!!!

Libragirl
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Admiral

We are going to the Eastern. There is a review on cruisemates under reader reviews that was written in Jan. 2007. The lady just absolutely gave the Glory the worst review. I cannot imagine that it was that bad. Her kids being jumped by people on the ship and the security doing nothing about it. Her cabin had no clean towels when she board and it took hours to get some. How can things like that really happen and not hurt the cruise ship bookings. She said the food was awful, the service was awful, the cabin was awful, it was the WORST ship she had ever been on. I don't get it.

Need some cruise help?
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Maybe she was just having a bad day....or maybe she talked to Rescuedad and he upset her!
Old February 8th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Now I could be way off base here, but I was curious if since Carnival has started adding tips directly to the sail and sign cards, do you think that the service has not been as good as before, when you personally handed the tips to the crew members directly? It did seem to be a topic of conversation on the Glory amongst some travelers that have cruised on Carnival and other cruise lines in the past. All parts of our cruise were not bad, only some of our expetations that we have experianced in the past seemed to be below par.

Carnival Glory 2007
Carnival Elation 2002
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Admiral

Those tips can be taken away before your cruise is over with if you feel the service has not be up to par. I've read that on several sites. Feel free to adjust tips accordingly........

Need some cruise help?
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Admiral

I agree also with earlier posts,about two people on the same ship at the same time with two different reviews....we have been on the Glory four times,2 east,and 2 west,and have ENJOYED them all.The Glory for some reason(maybe stabilizers) has a slight vibration that can be felt Throughout!! your cruise,but nothing severe as to cause motion sickness.You will LOVE!!the Glory....Crispy Prawns hmmmm
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Admiral

When I did the Elation out of Galveston, I thought everything was great!

IHP, please give me a review of the Fantasy when you return. I am wanting to do a cruise on her this summer.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanamaw
Those tips can be taken away before your cruise is over with if you feel the service has not be up to par. I've read that on several sites. Feel free to adjust tips accordingly........
Oh I understand that you can do that, but how many people really do or know that they can have the tips adjusted. It just didn't seam as personable as it use to be.

Carnival Glory 2007
Carnival Elation 2002
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Captain

Floridanamaw,

As to the lady who wrote the Jan. 07 review, some people just look for things to complain about. I can't even imagine having a bad cruise! I just wish I had discovered cruising earlier. (I took my first cruise a little over two years ago, and soon will be leaving on my 15th.)

You will love St. Thomas and St. Martin. If you can, catch the ferry to St. John. It is also beautiful. Also, when we were in St. Martin, we took a city van to Marigot, the French side of the island. We loved it there. We stayed several hours and then took a city van back to Philipsburg. You can also take a taxi, but it cost quite a bit more. I think we paid $1.50 each over and the same amount coming back.

Have a great time, and please write a review!!!

Libragirl from Texas 8)