Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Captain

Default sea sickness???

I get sea sick when we deep sea fishing. I was on a party boat that held about 60 people for fishing (9 hour trip out to sea) in Sarasota last fall..and had to take dramamine twice.

Hubby wants to cruise in sept or October (my first time) for 7 days but im skeered i'll either vomit all trip or be stoned on dramamine.

Is it BETTER on the big ships..or is it still just as bad. I can't imagine that feeling non stop. Im such a newbie at the thought of cruising. is there any secrets to alleviate my fears of the nausea! (im a nurse but i personally do NOT do vomit!)
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Admiral

Default Re: sea sickness???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
I get sea sick when we deep sea fishing. I was on a party boat that held about 60 people for fishing (9 hour trip out to sea) in Sarasota last fall..and had to take dramamine twice.
You'll be much less prone to seasickness on a cruise ship than a "party boat". Like most things, you're more apt to get seasick [or do most anything else that's "dumb"] if you worry about it a lot. If it calms you, take Bonine/use SeaBands/take ginger capsules prior/during your trip.
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

I get car sick any kind of motin sick . I get the patch from my doctor and trust me if it works for me it will work for anyone. (also I never get tired with it ) Good luck

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Freedom May 2010
Carnival Liberty January 2009
Carnival Freedom April 2008
Carnival Glory April 2007
Carnival Miracle March 2006
Carnival Glory April 2005
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Passenger

Default Re: sea sickness???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5

Hubby wants to cruise in sept or October (my first time) for 7 days but im skeered i'll either vomit all trip or be stoned on dramamine.

Is it BETTER on the big ships..or is it still just as bad. I can't imagine that feeling non stop. Im such a newbie at the thought of cruising. is there any secrets to alleviate my fears of the nausea! (im a nurse but i personally do NOT do vomit!)
hey Nurseypoo

I also get sick easily in motion. However during my first cruise, I barely noticed movement from the ship and only on the first day of the cruise (on the victory to Canada last 04). I had just come from working the night shift and went straight to boarding the Victory. I guess it depends on each individual's body right? My wife and daughter were not sick at all and jsut like me, they were first time cruisers too. Didnt get sick at all.

But Do as we always do, bring the PRN Dramamine non-drowsy just in case. As you can see I'm also a nurse. I hope this helps

C
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry to hear you got seasick in Sarasota!! I don't know anyone who hasn't gotten seasick on a deep sea fishing boat, though.

You will be absolutely fine on a cruise ship unless you encounter a tropical storm. Over the counter motion sickness things work well, as do ginger tablets. If you are really concerned, see your doctor and they can prescribe a little patch. Just put it on a forget about it for the rest of your trip!

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Captain

what is the name of the patch...sounds like a sure bet..i'll do that, it will be comforting to know its on at the very least
Old February 11th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Beginner

The patch is Transdermal Scopolamine. It does have some nasty side effects on some people. I have read that it causes blurry vision, but I have used it with great success. The only problem that I have had with it is that it cause me to have a very dry mouth; especially at night. Sometimes even with the patch I am a little queasy feeling, so I suck on some ginger candy. Helps a lot. I have read that meclizine (non-prescription) helps lots of people, but it seems to make me a little drowsy. Just take a few things along, and you will do fine.