Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:38 AM
Captain

Default I'M FAT!

oK now that i have your attention...

i am 5'7" and wiegh about 178..but best of all im as white as a sheet of notebook paper...even whiter! (i am so not kidding..blonde hair blue eyes no pigment at all, about a shade darker than albino)

Oh and i used to wiegh 270lbs a few years back (we dont talk about that anymore) so what has come up...errrr...has come down so to speak. 8)

Can anyone say lack of self esteem How embarrassed am i going to be wearing a bathing suit in my wrinkled white body. .

is it like the pictures where all the girls are hawt and wearing bikinis or are there real women LIKE ME TOO!
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Passenger

Hi there! I went to Cancun with the same fears that you did, but realized that darnit, I was there to have a good time, so I did. I tanned before I went so that 1. I didn't burn and 2. wasn't white as a ghost. It worked well for me. I wear a one piece suit that has the shorts on the bottom. Just remember that you are there to have a good time, that more people will be in the same situation as you. I found that in Cancun my body type was the most common, so I had a great time. You will too!
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Passenger

Hey nurseypoo! We're neighbors...I live in Justin! Imagine that...it is a small world.

Anyway, I lost 140 lbs. so I know what you're talking about the loose skin. But, think about it...look how far you've come, baby! You're going to be on a beach in Cancun! Probably something you've always dreamed about and now it's gonna happen. You will be amazed at all of the different body types there. The majority of us don't fall into the "beautiful people" category anyway.

I agree with jroth - get tanned b4 you go. This is JMHO, but I prefer going to a tanning salon and get a gradual tan for a couple of months prior to my cruise, so then I won't burn when I hit the beaches at the various ports.

Go enjoy yourself, reward yourself and live in the moment. You will never see those people again.

Carnival Conquest - 3/07
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas - 5/05
Carnival Elation - 3/04

Old February 11th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Beginner

you will see all walks of life on a cruiseship. i am white as a ghost as well and usually go tanning to get some color before i cruise. have a great time
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Captain

Carnival don't charge by the pound, they charge by the head. Assuming you've only got one head, you'll fit right in with the crowd. ENJOY YOURSELF!!!
Glory (eastern) 12/2006
Destiny 01/2009
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Passenger

As a 40 y.o., fair-skinned, "curvy" lady, I can appreciate your comments. I cruised for the first time last summer and asked all the same questions as you did. I was reassured that there are bodies of all types on board. To be honest, I was having such a blast, my lack of self-confidence never got the best of me while onboard or snorkeling in my bathing suit.

Relax, have a great time... and believe me - you will fit right in!

Enjoy!

OzzyMom (Sara)
Fascination - 7/2006

Old February 11th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

What I think is, " do get you some tan started before you cruise. Take it from someone thats paid there dues of white sand, and carribean waters and sun. You'll go from snow white, to a burnt tomatoe in just a few hours. And thats not good

Don't worry about what others think. Enjoy yourself to the fullest. As stated before, you'll see all walks of life.

Happy sailing to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Cruisers are NORMAL PEOPLE! You will feel so much better when you get on board and see others just like you. Spend some time looking at the cruise attire section of this board - will help you relax about your personal image. Self esteem is within you - it isn't on your outside. Pre-tan a little, take lots of sunscreen anyway, relax about taking so many outfits (who notices what you wear anyway with 3000 people on board?) and go have fun!

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Hello Nurseypoo; Have no fear, and just go aboard and plan on having a great time. All those other "normal" folks are aboard to have a great time as well, and could care less whether you look like a super model in your suit. (they probably prefer that you don't. ) Going to the pool in your swim suit is exactly like going to karaoke. Go, enjoy and have a great time. You'll probably never see any of these folks again! ENJOY

Ken
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Admiral

To the OP:

Are you a nice person?
Are you a good friend?
Are you a dependable, dedicated emnployee or boss?

Then who cares what you look like!!

I will take a good person with some white wrinkles over a "Pamela Anderson" with the heart of Leona Helmsly any day!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Go and have a great time. I am a big but happy girl and I was afraid of having some fun by the pool due to my size. I found so many others were shaped like me and not one person made fun of anyone or stared at us so go and have fun and do whatever your little heart desires in whatever kind of suit you end up wearing. I am sailing with my sister who is feeling like you I said to her life is to short to worry about the size of your body go have fun and forget about the shape of your body. People paid to party on their cruise ship and have fun not look at the shape of other bodies in swim suits. Ok unless your single and looking to hookup I guess it might matter.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old February 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Captain

ya'll are so funny

well in keller last year we had October break and we took the kids to florida, sarsota and disney..at the beach most people were in the retired catagory and i didnt mind it so much (still did but not so much)

I tried to tan, but im SO white that the tanning bed made me break out in little blood spots!!! like a wierd rash..it was bizzarre and had to stop after a week. i didnt even tan or burn, just got a rash ugh.

btw to my nieghbor in Justin..we almost moved to a subdivision of custom homes (cant remember but its to the east of the main stretch..cute subdivision, but we now live just off of 377, so were really close
Old February 11th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Beginner

I am only 5'2", weigh 160 lbs, and am probably one shade whiter than an egg shell. I do not tan. Not only that, I have horrible cellulite on these short, fat legs. As if this isn't enough, it's a 58 year old body. Never fear, there will be people that look much worse than you on your cruise. Relax and enjoy it. I plan to enjoy mine!
Old February 11th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

No dear - FAT is when you are 5ft 7in 280 pounds and the first thing you do when you try to book excursions is check to see if they have a weight limit! I'm depressed everyday over my weight (yet still eat..lol) and have yo yo's throughout life. I'm almost at the point of - I have NO ONE to impress. My husband is happy (been married for almost 27 years) and thats all that matters. I'm fat - but on cruises - still go around in shorts. I also swim in shorts. If I even attempted to wear a suit, no one would see any fish as I would scare them away!
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:16 PM
First Mate

Default FAT

I am 6'3, 300lbs, 62 inch shoulders and 56 inch chest skin that is white as clouds .And i do get a farmers tan in the summer. When we go on a cuise i stick out as the guy over there that has never gotten any sun. But i do in the summer i get bronze and my hair get light and mustach almost gold, but it never stays. When i walk around the fist day people wear sun glasses, but by the end wala, but week later like a snowman So dont worry and besides who cares you are what YOU ARE YOURSELF, DONT WORRY ABOUT THEM. Bob
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Yeoman

Hi,
I'm a redhead and my husband is blonde. Put that combination together and we usually illuminate our inside cabin with our white skin. We have been on 3 caribbean cruises and booked on our 4th and 1 Alaska cruise. Plus we have been on the beaches of Hawaii. We usully buy out the selection of 30-45 spf sunscreen at the local stores and have a great time. We never get burned. We don't go to tanning beds so we depend on the sunscreen to do it's job. We have met some very nice people and they never point their finger and laugh at our skin because there are so many other things to talk about when you meet people. The other people, I just figure that I'll never seen them again so it doesn't matter size or color. The sad part is the sunscreen works so well, when we get home, if we didn't have pictures...people would never believe that we were on beaches for a week
Have a great time and don't let anyone convince you otherwise!

Luanne
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I have a self esteem problem when it comes to my looks. I tan and I'm on a diet. It doesn't matter how thin I get, I still don't think I look right. I don't know why I'm so insecure about it, but I am. I only wear a swimsuit when absolutely necessary and then I change right after. I don't lounge by the pool even though there are plenty of people bigger than me.

Melody
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Admiral

At least you wear a swimsuit! I wouldn't dare get into one! I am going scuba diving and white water rafting this upcoming cruise (LEAVE SATURDAY!!!!!) but it will be in shorts! At least the weight limit is 360! Trust me --- thats the first thing I checked out! My next life, I'm going to be skinny, pretty and rich!
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Me too Cheryl!!! Have fun on your cruise and tell me all about your scuba trips...I'm thinking of getting certified.

Melody
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Melody -- seems we have a lot in common -- even more so - as I was in Baton Rouge over weekend (sister lives there - owns KEANS the cleaner). I live in Centerville (about 2 hrs away). I'll let you know about scuba!
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Cheryl, we have a lot in common. I have another friend named Cheryl and she is fluffy too! She is family now. We've known each other since high school...32 or 33 years.

As an auditor, I get the pleasure of wearing suits.....Kean's cleans them for me at a ridiculously high price! Call me the next time you're in town...I'll PM you my number.

Melody
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Don't worry about your weight, most of us look about the same, we are woman and not super models and most of us have curves and sags and cellulite and I figure no one is looking at me anyway. I used to sit on the side lines and miss all the fun, but no more, life is too short. I wish I looked like I did when I was twenty but those days are long gone. Now, as far as color goes, I use Loreal tanning cream and it gives enough of a bronge color to cut the white. Try it and see if it gives you a little color. It will go on smoothly and last about 4 days. I use it all year long. I kind of hate to tan because like everything else, the skin sags. I know you will have a blast if you don't stress about what anyone else thinks, we are all just as insecure, so have fun 8)
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:28 PM
First Mate

Default tanning etc...

please don't go to a tahnning booth, the sun and these booths are more dangerous than you know. Wear sunblock and in case you haven't heard, it's no longer "fashionable" to be tanned. You will look wrinkled and possibly get skin cancer, which is just as bad for your health as being over weight. I actually AVOID the sun, and as a result I look 30-ish though I'm turning 48 in February. I do get a little color in the Chicago summers just from walking from car to house to store to work, etc...

Also, I recommend the South Beach Diet, I lost 30 lbs, and know people who have lost up to 70 lbs on it.
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Michelle,

If having a tan isn't fashionable, you need to let everyone living south of the Mason Dixon line know, because I've been to lots of beaches and most everyone is tanned.

Melody
Old February 13th, 2007, 09:50 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
I tried to tan, but im SO white that the tanning bed made me break out in little blood spots!!! like a wierd rash..it was bizzarre and had to stop after a week. i didnt even tan or burn, just got a rash ugh.
Try the spray-on tans you can get at a "spa"...not a tanning booth, not the lotions that makes your palms turn orange...but a fake tan that they spray on you with, well, like an airbrush! It works pretty good, even if you do need to park your pride and/or modesty at the door of the "body paint booth"!

I did it a couple of years ago. At least no one suffered snow blindness when I donned my bathing suit.
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have tried the sray on tan and they do work pretty well but don't last very long. someone told me if you get a couple of layers it lasts longer. I am a fan of the lotion and no it doesnt leave my palms orange, but get a good brand and also start layering it for a few days and take it with you and use it like lotion to refresh it during your cruise.
Someone suggested the South Beach diet and I agree, watch carbs and try and walk every day for 30 min., you will be surprised at the results.
Cozzette
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Admiral

The tanning salon I use ( a national chain that's the best on this PLANET gets me set for the BEACH with their new hydrospa. Man I love that bed! It's a steam bed. The water is filled with vitamins and minerals for the skin, plus aromatherapy and/or another ingredient that brings the melanin to the surface. ANYWAY, you put your lotion on before you get in.....lift up the lid, slide in and close the lid. Then you set your mood lights and music and lay there for 20 minutes of pure pleasure. Get out the bed, pat dry, slip on a freshly laundered robe and head to your tanning bed or your spray tan session.

I mention this because the hydrospa deepens the tan on spray tans and makes it last longer. With 2 sessions of the hydrospa and the spray tan, you are probably good to go.

I still do the tanning bed for 5 minutes. I can't stand it any longer than that. I hate to lay in the tanning beds. Twice a week for me and I am no longer "glow in the dark" white!

To each his own, but if you get a chance to try the Hydrospa DO IT!

Melody
Old February 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Familiar Face

I agree with what everyone is saying about just have a good time. I'm really pale too and this year before i go on vacation i'm going to use the Dove self tanning lotion (not a fan of tanning salons). It's pretty good and doesn't make me look orange. Also remember to bring some kind of Aloe or After Sun Lotion just in case you do get too much sun you won't be hurting.
Have a Great Time!
~Shari
Old February 15th, 2007, 11:38 AM
First Mate

Default tanning...

well them most the southerners will look older, wrinkled and likely have more occurences of skin and other related cancers. Health educaiton hasn't apparently reached the south.

Just because it appears "everyone else" is tanned doesn't mean you have to do the same. Most new york models use fake tanners, they don't sit in the sun or booths.

I overheard a 28 year old at my health club talking to a friend of hers about how she can't miss her weekly tanning booth session. I turned around to look at her, and she already has wrinkled, leathered looking skin but because she "tan" she thinks she looks hot. Really ignorant.

People think their kids should play outdoors all day and get a "healthy" tan to impress others. How stupid is it to think you have to "impress others" anyway. Low self-esteem in action here.

It IS common knowledge that a tan is NOT healthy. The only exposure you need to the sun is what little time you spend outdoor on the way to and from home, school, work, the mall, etc. and it's recommended to wear sunblock (not sunscreen, but sunBLOCK) then as well.

I wish you well on your cruise, and the most important thing is to please YOURSELF, not worry about any other people. Remember, - most people are only concerned about themselves, not you or anyone else.
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks
Carnival don't charge by the pound, they charge by the head. Assuming you've only got one head, you'll fit right in with the crowd. ENJOY YOURSELF!!!
You're great! I love that.

To the OP...by your nick one must assume that you are a nurse...that is something to be very proud of. You help save lives, not many of us can boast the same thing.

Whilst one's physical appearance is often the only thing others use to judge, do you really want that type of person in your life? Put a sticky note on your bathroom mirror to remind yourself how special you truly are.

As for the tan, I use Dove or Jergen's self tanner. Neither will give you that orange look....I'm a pale, pale, Idaho girl who hibernates every winter. As a matter of fact I'm using the tanner now since we cruise in ten days!!

Have a wonderful cruise kiddo....

PS. If anyone wants a healthy (the Dr. on Fox and Friends recommends this), quick weight loss diet try The Sacred Heart Diet. I dropped 14 lbs in one week and by using a modified version have kept it off for 9 months.