Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:41 AM
First Mate

Default Cell phone service?

According to Canivals website, all ships have cellular service. Does this mean I'll be able to use my phone for the full duration of my cruise. On my last cruise, on NCL, I had service for about an hour after embarkation and about an hour before debarkation. Will I be charged any roaming fees, long distance, international, etc?
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Yes, yes, yes

I have Sprint and FINALLY got an answer to my question...I have international calling on my plan....

when onboard, roaming and the ships systems fee will apply

in port I can talk as cheap as 4 cents a minute.

Check with your provider for details on your fees.

Melody
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:08 AM
First Mate

How about if you are cruising to a US territory? Would international rates apply? Puerto Rico or USVI, for example: not quite USA, but not quite foreign either...
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Well, I can only tell you this....my son-in-law was working in St. Croix and he called to the US and it didn't cost anything other than plan minutes...they have Cingular. However, I would call my cell phone provider and speak with their international department to get the details. When we cruise, I've given instructions on when and why you should call me on my cell phone. I've told them I would check in with them when we are in port, providing there is a signal.

Melody
Old February 21st, 2007, 07:29 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

I have Cingular too. My wife used my cell phone to call home a couple of times, on the ship at sea. Its called Cingular @ sea.
I used my Cell phone in St.Thomas several times. No roaming charges was never charged. Just basic minutes that I used. Thank goodness

Happy Sailing to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:53 AM
Admiral

I also have Cingular and made a call from the Bahama's to Florida. Nine minutes cost me 19.00. I know it was expensive but needed to check on parents. Check with your carrier and see what rates are for being out of country.

Need some cruise help?
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:57 AM
First Mate

Default Verizon Said No Go in the Bahamas

Verizon said no go in the Bahamas

Brian

Sensation
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM
First Mate

Verison people: your cells will now work ON the ships but not in the Bahamas (or other destionations) unless you temporarily add a glocal service for the duration of your cruise. Visit verisonwireless.com website for info on this service.
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM
First Mate

Default Any idea what verizon will cost on the ship

Any idea what verizon will cost on the ship?

Thanks,

Brian

Sensation
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:31 PM
First Mate

Default Verizon - I think there is no coverage in the Bahamas

I called Verizon. I was told no tower coverage even with global service in the Bahamas.

It is also not listed on their gobal coverage page.

Did you talk to someone at Verizon?

Thanks,

Brian

Sensation
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:45 PM
First Mate

We have the Verizon National plan and our minutes were good in Puerto Rico. No roaming charges or anything. Otherwise the only service we could get was to us the very expensive ship board service, if you have the right phone and service. I don't think Verizon was included.
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM
First Mate

No, there is generally no coverage withi U.S. based programs on the islands in the Bahamas, but now there is coverage while you are on the ship itself. I was told by a verizon customer service person via email last week that cell calls on the ship would coat about $2.50 per minute, which is cheaper than the $6 or more to call from your stateroom phone. I don't know how much the global service costs to make it work on land but I will definitely be looking into that, even if it's just for a week.
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:58 PM
First Mate

Default Verizon

That's for the update. Please let me know what you find.

I have elder parents that I need to call daily. I realize I can't do much for them while at sea, but I still like to touch base with them to let them know all is well.

Thanks,

Brian

Sensation
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:44 AM
Captain

does anyone know if TMobile works on cruise ships. I mean i've heard it works on carnival ecstasy but the conquest isnt listed? I also heard that mexico is very spotty but jamaica is covered, but cost 1.50 a minute (not to bad really)

just curious about ship to shore on cells.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
First Mate

The best way to find out about your cell service is to call your cell provider, or email their customer service from their primary website. They will have the most current information on how to get roaming for the ships, if they have availabvility on ships and how to expand that cvoerage for a week on islands
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Re: Verizon

I contacted VerizonWireless and this is a brief of their response:

Wireless Cruise Ship Service is offered on various cruise lines as the ships sail to various ports. The cruise lines are equipped with technology to detect land-based signals; therefore; you must have the International Dialing feature (there is no fee for this feature.) and the latest Preferred Roaming List (PRL) in order to use the Wireless Cruise Ship Service. Please update your phone prior to leaving by dialing *228 and send and choosing option number 2.

If you do not have the latest PRL and International Dialing feature, you will not be able to use their phones in port or while traveling on land in foreign countries.

If you would like to have International Dialing added to your account, contact our Financial Services Department at 1-800-999-3955. Their hours of operation are 8AM-8PM Monday through Friday and 8AM-4:30PM on Saturday.

Please be aware that calls will be charges at $2.49 per minute.

I hope that this is helpful.

[Holiday '86 & Holiday '92; Caribe '90; Imagination '95; Seaward '97; Sensation '99; Fascination (Millennium Cruise) '00; Carnival Triumph '01; Carnival Pride '02; Paradise '03 (Smoke Free); Carnival Glory '04 (+3 extra Hurricane Days) & Carnival Glory '05; Inspiration '05; Carnival Mirical '06; Elation '06; Carnival Spirit (HAWAII) '07; Imagination '08; Glory '09; Carnival Freedom '10 & '12; Carnival Fantsey '10 & '11 & '11: NEXT Carnival Breeze 6/13]
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Beginner

I just spoke to my provider (SPRINT-NEXTEL). They told me I would not be able to use my phone in the Bahamas.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:36 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the information on Verizon. I want to call home every day (four kiddos!)

What have some of you guys done in the past? Used a calling card from port? Or is that too much of a hassle? What is this Skype thing?
Old February 22nd, 2007, 06:23 PM
First Mate

Default Skype Thing

Skype is a way to make calls from your computer using a high speed Internet connection.

Based on the type of connection on the ships I doubt it will work.

Also for the price they charge for Internet, it doesn't sound any cheaper.

Thanks,

Brian

Sensation
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Passenger

I work in customer service for T-Mobile. Calling from a cruise ship is 4.99 per minute. You must make sure you have international roaming permissions added to your cell phone before you leave or it will not work. Please make sure you keep your phone off when you are not using it. If it is on and your phone rings you will be charged for 1 minute even if you do not answer the call. If the phone is off it will go directly to your voicemail and you will not be charged. A word of warning. If you have inlimited T-Mobile to T-Mobile calling or unlimited calling between phones with Cingular or any other company, it does not count on a cruise ship or in any other country. I had a lady call me last week who went on a cruise with her family and they were calling each other on the ship because they had T-Mobile to T-Mobile calling and thought it would still be covered because they were after all in such close proximity to each other. Imagine her surprise when she received her phone bill with $457.00 in international roaming charges!
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

WOW Thats an heart attack waiting to happen

Happy Cruising to all;
David
Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:24 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the info on Skype. I spoke to my Verizon person a couple weekends ago when I got a new phone - asked about the international plan. She said it was pretty expensive, but I think I'm going to do it anyway. I need to be able to talk to my kiddos while I am gone! This will be the longest I have ever been away from them for so long.

Thanks for the tip on keeping the cell phone turned off, also! Excellent.
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Captain

what if you keep your cell off but get instant messeges while its off. once you turn the phone on are you charged for messeges? I dont messege but my kids have a bad habit of doing this.

or better yet for tmobile what would the text messege charge be on a cruise ship? is that cheaper?
Old February 24th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Passenger

The charge for sending an international text with T-Mobile is .15 cents. Recieving and international text is .10 Cents. If you have a texting package sending and recceiving international text messages is not included in the package price. Texting is definately the way to go.
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:21 PM
First Mate

We just returned from the Fantasy today and I noticed that kids were using the cell phone, while at sea, to talk "important" like they do at malls and any other public places. Imagine that in a month, when mom and pop gets the bill, that a lot of grief will ensue. (Then again, maybe not. We now live in a more "correct" world than I experienced in the 50' s and 60's).
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:47 PM
First Mate

Default Verizon

I called Verizon today and was told that my phone would work with international dialing in the Bahamas. I look on their web site again and saw that Bahamas was still not listed. I called Verizon back and got someone else. They told me it would work until I told them that the Bahamas was not listed on the international page. Then I was told "I guess it won't."

I pointed to her that there was a page listing for Cruise ships and that mine (Sensation) was listed. She said that my phone would work on the ship with international dialing. I told her that I heard that the ship needed to "bounce" off a local tower. I asked how it would work if there was no service in the Bahamas. She said, "Good question. Try it and see if it works."

I was hoping to have a solution I could trust, but it doesn't seem that I can bank on Verizon.

Here is the link for cruise ships:

http://mobileoptions.vzw.com/interna...es/Mexico.html

Thanks,

Brian

Sensation
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Passenger

Brian when you are on a ship at sea the signal is transmitted by sattelite. If you are in the Bahamas you should be able to use your phone. While it is true that Verizon does not have service in the Bahamas you would be roaming and will pick up the signal of the local cell company in the Bahamas. If Verizon does not have an agreement with the mobile companies in the Bahamas then you would not pick up a signal but when you are on the ship or in the immediate vicinity of the ship you will be able to use the service from the ship. The international rates are of course much higher if you use the satellite signal from the ship. I cant imagine that Verizon does not have an agreement with any of the mobile companies in the Bahamas. There is so much travel to the Bahamas from the US that the demand is definately there.
Celebrity Summit 2004
Celebrity Infinity 2005
Clipper Cruises Yankee Clipper 2006
Avalon Cruises Artistry 2006
Carnival Pride 2007