Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:21 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to shanden88 Send a message via Yahoo to shanden88
Default Porting out of New Orleans, LA

Hello All

My mom is concern for us saling out of New Orleans, LA. Please give me some feed back ASAP because I want to book it 2/22/07. And if you know how far it is from Atlanta, GA. Also how is the parking?

Shanden
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

4 - 4 1/2 hour drive..depending on how you drive.

Porting in New Orleans is wonderful with the new terminal. Use the cruise parking....it's convenient and out of the weather and you won't find anything significantly cheaper!

New Orleans is fine, especially in the daytime. I am a 40++ lady who has no qualms about being in New Orleans in the daytime by myself. At night, don't venture down side roads and dark alleys. Stay with the crowd. Police are usually very visible. Really, in the daytime, stay in the tourist areas. If you aren't sure, ask an officer or shopkeeper, or don't go. In any large city, you will have a criminal element. Crimes in New Orleans are widely reported due to Katrina. However, this Mardi Gras had a very low number of crimes and I don't think any were near the parade areas. Watch your pockets. If you are walking a crowded Bourbon Street at night, stay together. If you have a lady with you, hold hands or shirts as you navigate the crowd. Try to steer her clear of groups of males...they will grope you! If it doesn't feel right...leave. If you see something that might turn into a fight....leave or go into a nearby shop or restaurant. These are the common sense things I tell my kids. Tell your mom that I give all of my kids these instructions before they go to New Orleans....and our 18 year old daughter just went to Mardi Gras. Granted she went with a crowd and the guys know to look out for the girls. If my extremely blonde daughter can maneveur through New Orleans, I think you can too! If you are driving in on cruise day, disregard everything except park in the cruise parking! You'll be fine as long as you don't wander off.

Melody
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:31 AM
Admiral

Melody, do your drive for NASCAR ? (smile), it takes me about 7 hours to drive between Atlanta and New Orleans

Are you coming today (2/22/07) or next year ? If next year just be mindful that Mardi Gras is early (2/5) next year

Stay in the major tourist area and be mindful of your personal space and you'll be fine
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

My hubby gave me the trip time.......he must be NASCAR!
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Admiral

New Orleans new terminal is indeed wonderful. You literally park on top of the terminal. How smart was that!!!

It was pouring down rain in December and we arrived, unloaded our luggage (where a very nice porter even wrote his badge number on our documents ~hey #41~ so that we would know who took our luggage), parked the car and rode the elevator back down to level 2 to check in....all without ONE drop of water on hubby's sacred ostrich cowboy boots.

We are headed back next month.

Have a great cruise!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND