Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default WOW.....Cruise Ship Passenger Kills Mugger in Costa Rica....

American cruise passenger, 70, kills mugger with his bare hands in Costa Rica

Associated Press
Posted February 23 2007, 5:18 AM EST

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica -- An American senior citizen killed an alleged mugger with his bare hands, and his traveling companions aboard a tour bus fended of two other assailants in the Atlantic coast city of Limon, police said.

A retired member of the U.S. military aged about 70 put suspect Warner Segura in a head lock and broke his clavicle after the 20-year-old and two other men armed with a knife and gun held up their tour bus, Luis Hernandez, the police chief of Limon, 80 miles east of San Jose, said Thursday. Segura was later declared dead, apparently from asphyxiation.

LocalLinks

The two other men fled when the 12 senior citizens started defending themselves during the Wednesday attack. Afterward, the tourists drove Segura to the Red Cross where he was declared dead. The Red Cross also treated one of the tourists for an anxiety attack, Hernandez said.

The tourists left on their Carnival cruise ship after the incident and Hernandez said authorities do not plan to press any charges against them.

``They were in their right to defend themselves after being held up,'' he said.

Hernandez said Segura had previous charges against him for assaults.

In a media statement, Miami, Fla.-based Carnival Cruise Lines said the Wednesday incident occurred during an outing at a Limon beach which a group of a dozen passengers had arranged on their own.

``According to witnesses, while sightseeing at a local beach, the group of guests were approached by three assailants, one of whom was armed,'' the statement said.

``The victims struggled with the armed perpetrator, and were able to disarm him. During this process, the gunman's two accomplices fled the scene. In the course of disarming and restraining the assailant, he died from apparent asphyxiation.''

Neither the Costa Rican police nor Carnival identified the man involved in the struggle with the mugger.

The cruise line said the guests were questioned by local law enforcement and then returned to the ship. The ship's departure from Limon was slightly delayed to await their return.

``All of the guests involved, who had booked the cruise together as a group, have opted to continue with their vacation plans. Carnival is providing full support and assistance to the guests,'' according to the statement.

The ship, The Carnival Liberty, continued on its scheduled itinerary, with a port call scheduled in Colon, Panama.
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Now that man is my hero!!!!!!!!

Conquest 6/05
Triumph 2/06
Holiday 5/06
Miracle 2/07
Glory 6/07
Holiday 2/08
Holiday 2/08 (B2B)
Legend 1/09
Spirit 5/09
Holiday 8/09
Triumph 12/09
Valor 5/10
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree.... wish I could meet the Liberty when she comes into Miami and greet/thank him personally...

Maybe if he's one of those seniors that lives right herein Florida, I'll take him out to lunch!!!

Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default WOW Cruise ship passenger kills mugger in Costa Rica

Hello Fellowcruisers,

Like the rest of the posted replies I agree wholeheardly! Thank goodness the cruise passenger was able to defend himself. It is still so important that we should book our tours directly from Carnival and not go off on our own. It sounds like these tourist's were set up!! And this was at least the 2nd incident involving senior citizens (the first one was a bus with senior citizens that crashed and some passengers were killed - the driver of the bus I believe was drunk).

elf
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Familiar Face

I agree totally. Book your tours only with Carnival. If you go on your own, stick close by the port area and don't venture off to the side streets.
Dave
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:05 PM
Admiral

Mr. Carnival Cruiser-- I don't know who you are but I am lifting my glass to drink to you and the others in your group.
Power to you and all others like you. To hell with the crooks of the world, whether they be in Costa Rica or here in the U.S.
Choke 'em all I say !
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Admiral

That IS a cool story !
One less hoodlum in the world.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Admiral

YOW!! Talk about instant justice!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Passenger

I have heard that the hijacking of tourist buses is more common than the Cruise Lines would have you know about, but this is the first time I have seen it posted. Does anyone have knowledge of other bus hijackings?

[Holiday '86 & Holiday '92; Caribe '90; Imagination '95; Seaward '97; Sensation '99; Fascination (Millennium Cruise) '00; Carnival Triumph '01; Carnival Pride '02; Paradise '03 (Smoke Free); Carnival Glory '04 (+3 extra Hurricane Days) & Carnival Glory '05; Inspiration '05; Carnival Mirical '06; Elation '06; Carnival Spirit (HAWAII) '07; Imagination '08; Glory '09; Carnival Freedom '10 & '12; Carnival Fantsey '10 & '11 & '11: NEXT Carnival Breeze 6/13]
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Admiral

Handle your business man!!!!
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Regarding hijackings , etc. on tours, I doubt that it's a common thing,
How would a cruise line keep it hushed up? Everyone involved would have to keep it a secret and you know that would never happen.
The media would have a field day if it did happen with any regularity.
The're not all over this like a duck on a bug because the passengers weren't killed or hurt--only the bad guy.