Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to shanden88 Send a message via Yahoo to shanden88
Default Military Discount

I want to know how does the military discount work. Does the Person who is in the military has to go for us to use the discout. And do they check for his ID when we pick up the tickets at the port. Please help because we get a great discount if we can use it.
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to SingerGal

The person who is active, retired or honorably discharged has to be in the cabin in order to receive the discount. So, if you are getting more than one cabin, then only one cabin will receive the discount. They do not check ID upon arrival, but upon booking you have to send in a copy of your drivers license along with a copy of your DD214. We have used the discount several times, and you can't beat the price! Good luck....
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Passenger

Singergal is exactly correct i just recently booked on Valor Had to fax over DD214 and must be staying in the one cabin booked
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Admiral

You can also book thru Interliner.com like we did and they do NOT have to be booked with you. Our 3 sons are US Marines and we just used a copy of one of their IDs. Last year we did Alaska for $800/each in a balcony. You can get great deals.

from Interliner...

These rates are valid for Airline Employees and Military only (including National Guard) and REQUIRE valid ID to book. To receive the discounts, you must be: Currently employed, Retired, or a parent of a curently employed airline employee; Military Active, Reservist or Retired; Parents of Active and Reservists also qualify; In some cases Veterans qualify. Anyone sharing a cabin also receives the discounted rate. And often additional cabins are available at the same or a slightly higher rate.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

We used the military discount direct through Carnival. It applied to our friends room also (who is not Military). It might depend on when you book or how full the ship is. When he called to book, he gave our booking number and the discount applied to him as well.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival does run specials every so often that lets you book more than one cabin at the military discount. You just have to watch for them.

11/15/03 Triumph First Cruise...So long ago, where has the time gone?
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:11 PM
First Mate

I've used the Military rate 3 times and got a good discount. Here's the catch. When using the rate, let's say Carnival has a balcony for $825 pp. and the Military rate is $725. If later on the rate for your sailing date falls to, let's say, $759, your military rate does not qualify you for the similar reduction on the $725 price you paid. You get the military rate and that's it, and it's usually on the lowest deck of the ship.

I've been toying with the idea of booking regular next time and taking my chances with the rate falling and qualifying for cheaper rates or on board credits, and being upgraded.

Both my sons had cabins this last cruise. One military and the other regular fare. After the price of the cabin fell, my non-military son ended up with a better price and their rooms were next to each other.

Check out this policy with your TA or Travel Agent and make your decision accordingly.
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:57 AM
Captain

We use the military discount on every cruise we take as long as it is available. there was a time when we had to book a cabin without it and then later when they offered the military discount out vacation planner changed our reservation so we could use the discount. On our next cruise, April 22 on the Victory we got a military discount when we booked it a year in advance. Last month the rates for the cabins without using the military discount dropped so everyone else in our family was able to get a refund. Our vacation planner at Carnival emailed his supervisors requesting that we receive an additional discount on the military rate. before I was off the phone with him he received a reply and we were able to get a $60 on board credit...so it is possible to get a further reduction on cabins booked with a military discount!

AKcruiser
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Passenger

Dont forget to check for a possible State resident rate before booking that military rate. I have seen that resident rates well below the military rates. I just booked the Pride on an 8A guarantee for 459.00PP on a Idaho resident rate.
Celebrity Summit 2004
Celebrity Infinity 2005
Clipper Cruises Yankee Clipper 2006
Avalon Cruises Artistry 2006
Carnival Pride 2007
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyman
You get the military rate and that's it, and it's usually on the lowest deck of the ship.
Not true. I've used the military rate twice and both times booked cabins on the empress deck (deck 7). I found it interesting that for my next cruise (in just a few weeks!) that my military discount was better then the past guest discount.
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:36 AM
Yeoman

We booked the Miracle out of N.Y. for May and past passenger beat the military rate. You just never know.

Betty
cruise #19 booked: Crown Princess, 9/30/06

cruise #20 booked: Carnival Liberty, 1/14/07
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM
Beginner

We booked balcony on Valor for July 1 this year......Military rate
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Admiral

My TA knows to check the Military Rate, the Florida Resident Rate, the Senior Citizens Rate, and the Repeat Cruisers Rate, and then advises me on the least expensive, and we go with that. As many have stated above, you need to be aware of all the different discounts, and check them all to get the best price available. Good hunting!

Ken

P.S. I almost always wind up booking with the military discount.
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
My TA knows to check the Military Rate, the Florida Resident Rate, the Senior Citizens Rate, and the Repeat Cruisers Rate, and then advises me on the least expensive, and we go with that.
I read on one a TA's website that if you have senior in your room they apply the discount to everyone in there. That true? Also how do the senior rates compare to past cruiser rates? Thanks, Carla
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Hi Carla;

Yes, I think that is true, as the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) isn't considered a senior, but she still gets the senior rate when I book with that discount. (Yes, I married a much younger woman) The discounts for any, and all of these vary greatly, and the TA needs to check which is the best for any given ship, and date. They aren't even offered on some cruises, as these discounts are only used by the line to fill up the ships.

Happy hunting,

Ken
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
Hi Carla;

Yes, I think that is true, as the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) isn't considered a senior, but she still gets the senior rate when I book with that discount. (Yes, I married a much younger woman) The discounts for any, and all of these vary greatly, and the TA needs to check which is the best for any given ship, and date. They aren't even offered on some cruises, as these discounts are only used by the line to fill up the ships.

Happy hunting,

Ken
Thanks for the info. And there is nothing wrong with your beautiful younger wife My mom was 5 years younger than my dad. My BF is 6 years younger than me
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Captain

The military discount also applis to everyone in the cabin.

AKcruiser