Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to mike_cable
Default Travelling without Passport.....HELP!!!!

Here's a good one for you all and I just know someone will be able to help me or set my mind at ease....or maybe not.

We are in Canada.....

Travelling Carnival Glory March 10 2007 with wife, daughter and daughters friend. My daughter's friend applied for her passport in early December and has not received it yet. Calls and e-mails to PassPort Canada have remained unanswered.

We are flying out of Syracuse, New York, with connection in Detroit to Orlando. Coming home we fly from Orlando to Altlanta to Syracuse.

With time becoming an issue here I am wondering what steps I should be taking to ensure ease of travel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
We are flying out of Syracuse, New York, with connection in Detroit to Orlando. Coming home we fly from Orlando to Altlanta to Syracuse
With the new laws in place your daughter's friend has a problem!! Without a passport it is VERY unlikely she'll be allowed to cross the border into the United State.

She had best head to the nearest passport office immediately and find out what the delay is.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Passenger

You all will need a passport since you are flying internationally. I'm not sure how the passport process works in Canada but the only thing I can suggest if for your daughter's friend to find out where she can go to talk to somebody in person about her issues. In the U.S. a popular place that people go to apply is the post office and for a U.S. person I would suggest they go to the post office and inquire or go to the U.S. Department of State Website http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html. Since you're in Canada I don't know what to suggest. Sorry I couldn't be more help maybe somebody else can provide useful information.
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Passenger

but aren;t those rules for air transport from canada into the u.s. We will be driving across the border.??
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Passenger

Thanks...but I will be driving across the border, so no international flight comes to play.

still a problem do you think?

mike
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_cable
but aren;t those rules for air transport from canada into the u.s. We will be driving across the border.??
If you are residents of Canada the fact that you'll be flying from New York to Detroit, Orlando, and then form Orlando to New York means that you all need a passport. If you were a U.S. Citizen traveling to those states there would not be a problem but since you all seem to be from Canada it seems like you all need passports. The information provided below comes from the U.S. Department of State Travel Website.

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.
As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the United States and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Passenger

yes , i have read that, but it states...."between the U.S. and Canada. and we will only be flying within the continental u.s. or am i reading that incorrectly?

mike
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Familiar Face

I would call a US Customs office and ask them as that is who you would have to deal with once you cross the border at Watertown. They should be able to answer that for ya Mike

Carnival Glory 2007
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Victory 2009
Carnival Victory 2010
Carnival Victory 2011
Carnival Victory 2012
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Passenger

ok...good idea thanks
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_cable
yes , i have read that, but it states...."between the U.S. and Canada. and we will only be flying within the continental u.s. or am i reading that incorrectly?

mike
Hmmmm.....I took the part at the end, which I've included below, to mean that only U.S. Citizens didn't need a passport to travel to states within the U.S. It seems like you are saying that you are a resident of Canada but you don't think that you'll need a passport to travel between U.S. states. Maybe my understanding is wrong but I thought that any non-resident of the U.S. would need a passport to travel within the U.S. The passage below mentions that U.S. Citizens traveling within the U.S are not required to have a passport but it seems that you're not a U.S. citizen. Maybe somebody else will also provide their understanding of the statement as well.

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the United States and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Hopefully the young lady GETS her passport .
Sounds like government bureaucracy works just as effectively in Canada as it does in the US. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Passenger

yeah...remember the good ol days :
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Beginner

As of January 1st of this year, you need a passport to cross from Canada into the US.
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Passenger

Once you are in the US you do not need a passport to travel between the States. You do need a government issued photo ID. If your daughters friend is a minor you will also need a notarized letter from both of her parents for the cruise line stating that you have permission to take her into certain countries. If you are not aware of this requirement I would advise that you call the cruise line for the details.
Celebrity Summit 2004
Celebrity Infinity 2005
Clipper Cruises Yankee Clipper 2006
Avalon Cruises Artistry 2006
Carnival Pride 2007
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to TOYAMSU Send a message via Yahoo to TOYAMSU
Default You will not need a passport but...

you will need a birth certificate and a government issued ID for each person. And as stated before, you do need a notarized letter signed by the parents of the friend if she is a minor.
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Captain

I just have to say this....your getting just as many "you dont need a passport" as you are "you must have a passport" answers.

No matter who tells you that you dont need the passport, your way better off getting it. Just in case.

I'd call everyone you can to try to get her an emergency passport asap. You have 10 days perhaps that is long enough.

If you can not, no way get one, then you better call not only officials in canada but also in the usa too.

very good luck to you. (you'll feel so much at ease if you can snag that passport at all costs.)
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Beginner

Default Passports in Canada

Hi Mike,

I live in Canada as well. You do not need a passport to travel to the US by land (yet). I do believe though that you must have a passport to get on the cruise ship. My niece just went to Hawaii with my mom & dad and she did not have a passport. So they are still being a bit lenient. I would check out the cruise line for sure.

Terri
Old February 28th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Passenger

yes...i would feel much much better if she gets her passport in time....i guess we will see what our member of parliament can do and the result will tell me whether i will vote for him next time or not...hahahahha

with fingers crossed

mike