Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Passenger

Default Upgrade for $200, is it worth it??

Booked a guarantee oceanview for August, can upgrade today for $200 for the party of four, and get a deck 2 instead of deck 1 room. Is this worth doing, or just wait until we get on board and hope for the best??
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

If you're getting the same type of room just one deck up I don't think thats worth an extra $200.
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Passenger

For $200, I was given the ability to choose e my cabin because I really did not want to take the chance of being close to the front of the ship for motion sickness purposes.... Got cabin 2432, Main Deck Category 6B...being clueless about cruising, I hope this is good... on the Carnival Glory..
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Passenger

I would wait and hope for the best.

2/23/2006 - Carnival Inspiration
4/24/2004 - Carnival Triumph
3/15/2003 - Royal Car. Freedom of the Seas
2/25/2002 - Carnival Fascination
2/24/2001 - Carnival Imagination
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Passenger

I did the upgrade for peace of mind about the motion sickness, this is our first cruise and that was a concern for both myself and my son. I am not that much of a risk taker!!! In the grand scheme of what this is costing, $200 was not so bad
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrag
For $200, I was given the ability to choose e my cabin because I really did not want to take the chance of being close to the front of the ship for motion sickness purposes.... Got cabin 2432, Main Deck Category 6B...being clueless about cruising, I hope this is good... on the Carnival Glory..
As someone that suffers from motion sickness I just wanted to post something that I hope will give you a little bit of hope regarding sea sickness...

If I do not take Dramamine (or some sort of motion sickness medicine) I get very very sick...but as long as I take it, I do not seem to suffer. I hope you have the same experience -- the medicine working, I mean!

I am much more concerned about our upcoming drive along the Amalfi Coast than I am about our 12-day mediterranean cruise on the Freedom.

Good luck.....take your Dramamine (or whatever works best for you) and enjoy your cruise!

Oh, one bit of advice, though....remember to take your motion sickness medicine for at least a few days AFTER your cruise. I always seem to forget and wind up getting quite sick....I guess you get your "sea legs" and when you get back on land it's as it it's moving!
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:42 PM
Passenger

$200 is a lot to pay for one deck in the same size room. Wait for the guarantee, we have always done much better with the guarantee

[Holiday '86 & Holiday '92; Caribe '90; Imagination '95; Seaward '97; Sensation '99; Fascination (Millennium Cruise) '00; Carnival Triumph '01; Carnival Pride '02; Paradise '03 (Smoke Free); Carnival Glory '04 (+3 extra Hurricane Days) & Carnival Glory '05; Inspiration '05; Carnival Mirical '06; Elation '06; Carnival Spirit (HAWAII) '07; Imagination '08; Glory '09; Carnival Freedom '10 & '12; Carnival Fantsey '10 & '11 & '11: NEXT Carnival Breeze 6/13]
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM
First Mate

I'm going to try seasick patches for me and my son when we go, just to be safe then you don' thave to remember to take the pills on schedule. I think upgrading now seems to be a good idea. If you aren't sure, it's better to be safe than sorry
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:57 PM
Passenger

Although I may have gotten the same or better cabin through the "guarantee" ocean view, I feel comfortable that I made the choice to pick the specific cabin now. I tend to worry about these things, and I decided that the $200 was worth knowing that I am not in the front of the ship where I do not want to be. One less thing to worry about!!

I will be using a motion sickness patch for both myself and 15 year old son.....only concern is that I used one before for a short period and experienced blurred vision afterwards, which is a side effect of the patch. Hoping this doesnt happen again, especially since we will be using the patch for the week.
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Hi michelle,

Do you know that you and your son will be seasick? Do you get carsick or airsick? If not, IMHO, I wouldn't use the patch, especially since you had the side effects the first time. I just don't think you'll need the patch unless you're really prone to motion sickness .

I agree with you that it was better to spend $200.00 more to get a cabin where you want.

We always take Bonine with us, but have never needed it. I've also heard that ginger pills or ginger ale works well for seasickness.

Have a wonderful cruise!

(Again, JMHO .)

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
Passenger

For me, it would depend on what would be above and below my cabin. I always book a cabin that only has other cabins above and below. For this reason I love the Empress deck. To me, that would be worth the $200. As far as seasickness is concerned, I don't believe that one deck up or down would make that great a difference, particularly on the lower decks.

Just my 2 cents
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
First Mate

Save your money for your next cruise.With the ships today there is very little motion Normally guarantee will give you a good chance of an upgrade which will be determined by how full the ship is.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
Passenger

Well, its too late for me to save my $200.... live and learn... I booked the upgrade the other day have an assigned cabin. Hopefully, all will be well.

I am beginning to think that no matter what I do, there is an element of worry... cabin too noisy, too far front, too far back, by an elevator, by a nightclub... on and on. I am just going to go and hope for the best. I got cabin 2432 on the Glory for the assignment. (one deck up from the lowest)

My kids are so excited about this cruise (along with my husband and I) so I am trying to stop second guessing myself and just look forward to the week!!!

Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

You can still be upgraded even though you chose an assigned cabin! Please stop worrying and begin the ""excited phase"" of planning your cruise. It is WAY more fun!

Once you get on board, I think you will be very surprised at how little there really was to worry about...

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:31 PM
Passenger

Wow, I had no idea you could still have your cabin changed or upgraded if you already were assigned!! thanks for the info and yes, I am going to take your advice and switch from worrying to planning and being very excited!!!
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Don't know what the big fuss is about staying in a room forward of the ship. We have had rooms just about everywhere on a ship and find the forward staterooms as high as we can get suit us just fine. There is absolutely no difference, as far as I can ascertain, in rocking motion that would make someone seasick. If the seas are rough, you're going to feel it regardless of what deck or where your stateroom is located. Bring along the "patch" or whatever seasick remedy you want to try OR just relax, enjoy the good food, drinks, music, and total relaxation. If you tell yourself before you board the ship that you are going to get sick, then you probably will. Lose yourself in the cruise experience, get involved, join in the games, participate, have fun, forget about your worldly life, you're on a cruise, have a good time!!!
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Hi sandrag,

I hate (really, I do !) to give you anything else to worry about, but cabin 2432 is looks to be under either the galley or the restaurant. There could be some noise. It's also a connecting cabin, so you may hear more noise from the cabin next door. If you're not a light sleeper you should be fine, but you may want to go back to your Riviera cabin, if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo
OR just relax, enjoy the good food, drinks, music, and total relaxation. If you tell yourself before you board the ship that you are going to get sick, then you probably will. Lose yourself in the cruise experience, get involved, join in the games, participate, have fun, forget about your worldly life, you're on a cruise, have a good time!!!
I also agree with rosetattoo!

Sea Princess 2014
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Passenger

I have been told by a few people, some ot them travel agents, that if you have a tendency towards motion sickness, you are better off lower and towards the middle or back of the ship. Whether or not there is any truth to this, I do not know. Having never been on a cruise before, I am listening to the opinions and advice of many, and making a decision from there. Isnt that what these message boards are all about??

There are people who do experience motion sickness more than others, and whether or not you "want to" get sick does not play a part. Certainly, nobody would prefer to be sick on their cruise.

I am sure we will have a GREAT time on the cruise!!
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
Passenger

Fern, I noticed, as you mentioned, that the cabin they assigned us was underneath a restaurant and close to the galley..... I booked through Carnival, in your experience, if you call now again, would they change the room?? We needed a quad room and they only had connecting ones left. Seemed odd to me since it is so early (going in August).

So...seeing that I now booked an assigned cabin and paid $200 more, if I change it back to guarantee oceanview, do they adjust the price back to the original, which is $200 less??

I am open for suggestions, this is all rather confusing for the first time cruiser!!!
Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
Admiral

Hi sandrag,

If you want to move back to a Riviera guarantee you shouldn't have a problem getting your $200.00 back. You can move all over the ship as long as you're before final payment and there are cabins available .

I'm sorry that I missed that you were a party of four .Quad cabins go very quickly, since there are not too many. I think you'll be fine in 2432, but I'd bring ear plugs, just in case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrag
I am sure we will have a GREAT time on the cruise!!
You've got the right attitude! IMO, there's no such thing as a "bad" cruise!

Sea Princess 2014
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default seasickness

michellet1959 - just my 2 cents about those patches. I have a boxful if you want them. THANKFULLY I decided to try them out 2 weeks before my cruise. I put one on and within an hour was feeling woosy. I kept it on for 2 more hours just thinking I had to get used to it. I kept getting more and more nauseated and dizzy. I remove the patch and still felt sick for 3 days afterwards. NO THANKS!! I'll stick to my meclizine. Bonine and dramamine (even the non-drowsy kind) just make me want to curl up and sleep. Meclizine you can buy off the shelf and half a tablet works great for me - no drowsiness, either.

Whatever you decide to use, make SURE you test it out first so you know how your body reacts on it. Don't wait until the day of your cruise!

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Admiral

michellet1959, cheezz has given you good advice regarding trying the patch prior to sailing. The patch is intended for extreme motion sickness. If you and your son are not PRONE to motion sickness (i.e. unable to ride in the back seat of a car, no amusement rides) perhaps you should consider the OTC meds available.

Here are a couple of threads that I found that discussed seasickness and what others have done:

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/vie...ht=seasickness

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/vie...ht=seasickness
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13