Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:45 AM
Passenger

Default Room upgrades?

I am booked in a balcony room but I thought it would be awesome to get a suite. Anybody have any secrets for getting an upgrade?
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Ok.. but don't tell anyone else.. shhhhhhhhhhh
Pay for it, or marry one of Bob Dickinson's kids
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Passenger

Bribe the up-grade fairy!

Seriously, it appears to be dumb luck. I was booked for an 8B and just got up graded to a Cat 11. Someone else on the same cruise had a 8E and did not get up-graded. I'd like to say it was because of clean living and pure thoughts but...that ship sailed
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

We booked for an 8A guarantee and got a suite too. I have NO idea how or why this happened. There are still 8's left and 9As and have been since we got the upgrade so who knows? I'm just very pleased it happened.

Kim
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Passenger

Both are good ideas..although the bob dickinson thing...it might be the key
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Drive your TA or Carnival Rep. crazy with calls and e-mails until they get tired of it and upgrade you. I e-mailed my Carnival rep about every 2 weeks to make sure he would be able to get us above the Upper deck on the Glory, he has moved us up to at least the Empress deck, maybe higher as time gets closer for our cruise. We still have over seven months left before we cruise.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

My TA just informed me that an upgrade at this point was impossible unless I wanted to pay. Oh well.....

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Passenger

I would get a better travel agent....
Celebrity Summit 2004
Celebrity Infinity 2005
Clipper Cruises Yankee Clipper 2006
Avalon Cruises Artistry 2006
Carnival Pride 2007
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:03 PM
Passenger

Newbie to the board here...
We sail in 2 weeks on the Conquest. We booked this last week and received an automatic upgrade from a 6A to a 6E at the time I booked ...that was the advertised special offered to anyone booking. My TA has told me over and over again that I cannot expect another upgrade, because they do not upgrade outside of a category. We have sailed once before with Carnival (CAT 12 @full price)and I actually have another short cruise booked in August. On another cruise line (many years ago) I was upgraded upon checking in. Does Carnival ever offer complimentary upgrades at check-in and if so, when/how/who do you ask? Does getting there early (9AM) make any difference.?
Thanks
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon
Newbie to the board here...
My TA has told me over and over again that I cannot expect another upgrade, because they do not upgrade outside of a category. We have sailed once before with Carnival (CAT 12 @full price)and I actually have another short cruise booked in August. On another cruise line (many years ago) I was upgraded upon checking in. Does Carnival ever offer complimentary upgrades at check-in and if so, when/how/who do you ask? Does getting there early (9AM) make any difference.?
Thanks
Well that's not true. It doesn't USUALLY happen but it can and does. If you book a balcony guarantee for example the least you will get is the lowest level balcony but you CAN be upgraded as far up as a cat. 12. Sometimes you don't find out what your cabin number is until you get to the pier but usually you can call your TA about a week ahead and she'll know or can find out. And yes you can get an upgrade and then when you get there find out the upgrade fairy paid yet another visit and you go up again. It's all about what's available on the ship at the time and if they were able to sell off the cheaper rooms. Getting to the pier early doesn't make a bit of difference. By the day of sail away, the ship's manifest has all the information and the only way to get an upgrade at that time is IF there is a higher level available and IF they will sell you that upgrade. Wouldn't count on that though.

Kim
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:40 AM
Passenger

Thank you KAWS. We have our room assignment already. We are at a 6E and the closer the date gets, the more concerned I get. We have not ever sailed on a ship this large and I am becoming more and more concerned about having a room with no balcony. I know that I can pay for an upgrade if it is available. I was hoping someone could tell me whom and how I should ask for a complimentary upgrade. Should I bring up that I am cruising twice in less than 5 months? Or is that improper form? Thanks so much!!!
Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

Is it possible to get upgrades if you choose a cabin number?

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
Admiral

I think that if you actually choose your cabin you don't get upgraded, unless you pay for the upgrade. We have a balcony guarantee booked for our next one. I e-mailed our Carnival rep. so many times about making sure he could move us up from the Upper deck, that he finally moved us to the Empress deck and gave me a cabin number. He told me that HE would be the only one that could move us around now. He actually offered me the Panarama Deck when he called. I was at work and couldn't stop to look at deck plans to tell exactly where it was. So I took the Empress deck, mid ship. As time gets closer I might find that he has moved me again or I might ask if it is possible.......This Carnival rep. has been very good to work with.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon
We have our room assignment already. We are at a 6E. I was hoping someone could tell me whom and how I should ask for a complimentary upgrade.
You can ASK but usually upgrades are handed out with guarantee rooms and not just because people ask for them. If they did that, everyone would be hounding Carnival for upgrades all the time. Never hurts to try though and maybe if your rep knows you want one they will keep you in mind if one comes available.

With that said, I think that if you're really concerned with not having a balcony, find out what it would cost to upgrade to a balcony guarantee. That's the cheapest balcony that they will offer. That way you'll get at least the lowest level of balcony (but it WILL be a balcony) and you'll have the chance to move to higher or better locations or even further if the upgrade fairy decides to bless you.

You sometimes will get an upgrade from an assigned cabin but usually they wind up going to guarantees. Rule of thumb is book the cabin or level that is your minimum that you know you'll be satisfied with and then wait and see what happens.

Usually when people book an actual cabin there's a reason for it - location, people travelling with them, extended balcony, etc.

Hope this helps.

Kim
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Thank you - Thank you- Thank you! Your shared insight is much appreciated.
We are on the Conquest Spa Deck and the Carnival website states that there are floor to ceiling windows...which may help. I was worried about this when we sailed the last time in a suite....that it would be difficult going in a different cabin from that point forward....time will tell...lol. This time we traded space for length of cruise.
By the tone of his voice, the last time we spoke, I don't think that my TA wants to hear the word "upgrade" from my mouth anymore. I think the same goes for our other TA on the August Cruise.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Floor to ceiling windows will DEFINITELY help! If you have to sail with no balcony, this would be the way to go for sure.

We're a little concerned too about "going backwards". Boohoo, eh? We're in an aft wraparound balcony suite for this cruise and the one in July is a regular aft balcony (not a wrap) but we did score a larger than regular balcony by doing this.

For me I could do anything except an inside. I've done that before and about went insane from claustrophobia in that thing. Perhaps that's why we're going so much to the other extreme on this cruise. I want to totally erase any and all memories of that last cruise. Can't even remember the cruise line - Sun something - but it doesn't even sail anymore and that was only in 2003!

Kim
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:37 PM
Passenger

WOW Kim! I have never had an interior room and hopefully never will.

I have a friend who has chosen an AFT balcony. I didn't even know they existed...lol. She is pretty excited. I remember that on our last cruise, any of the bars or restaurants on the aft were a bit bumpy in the evenings. How was your room before?
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

The only "before" was that inside room. Gawd what a nightmare. It was one of those rooms that the beds wouldn't even move together so dh and I played camp with twin beds. Not much fun - and don't even bother anyone telling me it's cozier that way. Cozy would be for 20 year olds. Back threatening would be more like it for me!

As I recall the room steward was the only thing that made life worth living in that room. He was fantastic. Our kids were across the hall in their own cabin and that steward earned every red cent and more keeping up after those two boys. But I remember it was on the dark side and we were down down down in the ship (might even have been below ocean level for all I knew). How I envied everyone that were going UP to their cabins. I vowed right there and then - NEVER AGAIN.

It's taken me this long to talk dh and ds into a cruise again. So I'm determined it's going to be a totally different experience. It so will too, not just the ship, the cabin but the ports and excursions too will be so much fun.

Kim