Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Passenger

Default First cruise-Female alone- Triumph 4/07 - getting nervous!

I'm in my late forties and going on a cruise for the first time and it will be by myself. I couldn't find a singles cruise for the only week I could go, so I booked a regular cruise. Do you think there will be people (not just men) for me to meet and have fun with? Also, because I'm alone, I was hoping to meet people to go on the excursions with, can I wait to book them until after I get on the ship? I assume I can dine with groups of people, etc.

Anyone ever cruise alone that wasn't a singles cruise? Anyone ever get to know people that were alone?

I'm just getting nervous wondering if I did the right thing not booking on a singles cruise.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Trippdiver

Hey April, I am sure there will be plenty of women and men you will meet to hang out with on the ship, and yes you can book excursions on the ship as long as they are not sold out. You should not worry at all you will have a great time.

Tripp
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM
Captain

Hi April,

They will try to assign you to a table in the dining room with other singles. Also, on the first night there is a singles get together. Check you Carnival Caper (newsletter) when you get in your cabin. Theree are social hosts who ask you to dance is you are sitting there alone too. My sister and I went to the show loungs for something and our husbands were off doing something else. The hosts were there and kept asking if we wanted to dance. If for some reason there aren't many singles on your cruise...just get involved. Do the things that interest you. you will find others to share the excitement with.

Have a great time,

AKcruiser
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Passenger

There will be a singles get together even if it's not a singles cruise?
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
First Mate

there will also probably be other women there, i.e. siters, friends, etc.

I'm probably going to go on a cruise by myself in a couple of years as a treat to myself. I'm going on my first one ever this July with my teenage son.

Power to you, girl, there'snothing wrong with going ANYWHERE by yourself!

Just make sure you don't hang around the ports at night by yourself. Be safety conscious, don't accept drinks from strange men and don't leave your drink unsupervised for a single second - take it to the bathroom with you.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:31 PM
Passenger

When in April? My daughter (35) and I (62) are taking our third cruise on the triumph 4/21. We have never had "social hosts" come and ask either one of us to dance.
We have always booked the excursions on the ship. And never had a problem getting the one they want.
The first cruise we were seated with another mother/daughter and last cruise with two single gals, two single guys, and a mother/daughter. They do try to match you up with someone they think will be compatable.
You are gutsier than I, I am not sure I would go alone. I hope you have a great time.
Old March 4th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Captain

Yes, they have a singles get together the first night of the cruise. I checked my capers to see if I had remembered correctly.

AKcruiser
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

Has michellet1959 stated, use good common sense, and you'll be fine. Do all the things you want to do, and enjoy being waited on.
We usually book our excursion that first afternoon , after sail away. And never had a problem getting the ones we want.
Hope you have smooth seas and sunny skies.

Happy Sailing to all;
David

Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Passenger

Thanks, I guess my main thought was that if I met a couple of women that were going on a certain excursion and it would be fun to be with them, I wouldn't be able to because I already booked one the first day. Is there anyway to change if something like that happened? Can I wait till the next day to book? My ship doesn't have an excursion unti the Monday night and we take off on Saturday.
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Beginner

Default Meeting people on a non-singles cruise

I just went on my first cruise. I had friends onboard so I wasn't "alone". I don't think you'll have any trouble meeting people if you're the type to make conversation. I met a number of people and had a great time, although I am the type who likes to be alone quite often.

Excursions: you'll meet people on those from your ship and who knows, you may hit it off! Might be couples though, but you may find it just as enjoyable. I met a couple from Vancouver and they were awesome! We now plan on getting together in Vegas in April! You can book your excursions once you're onboard. They say that "they're selling out fast" but I don't know if that's just a sales tactic or not.

You can email me at minerm36@hotmail.com if you like. I'd love to tell you everything I learned about cruising.

Merinda
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Passenger

hi april, i been on 10 carnival cruises by my self .you will meet a lot of pople other singles,coples single pople travleing with family .take it easy dont worry about it you have a ball. get to know the pople you have dinner with you may want hang out with one of them in port. also book the side trips you want they are usalley other singles or ladysin groups that travel togeathe.it be fun have good time .if you have any?let me knoww. going on my next cruise in may. cruisedave
Old March 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Yeoman

Dinner is great way to meet people. My BF and I got paired up with other non-married couples our age. They have a wonderful pairing process when picking dinner companions.

Have a good cruise, it will go by much to fast. When you get back you will be as addicted as the rest of us. Carla
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:19 AM
First Mate

Yes Carnival will pair you with singles in your age group at dinner so even if you dont meet anyone else all cruise you will atleast have something in common with your dinner mates. Cruising as a single can be overwhelming at first but just relax and enjoy yourself!
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

April, I am 46 years old and single and have been on nine cruises. Seven of those were alone and none were single cruises. I had a great time on all of them. Carnival sits all of the solo travelers at one table so I also meet people to do things with. Also, if you don’t like your table mates the maître d' can change your table.

I have two cruises booked now. A seven day cruise alone on the Carnival Valor and a four day cruise with some friends and their kids on the Inspiration.

You should have a great time.
Inspiration - June, 2007
Carnival Valor - May, 2007
Carnival Glory - August, 2005
Carnival Glory - April, 2004
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Carnival Destiny - April, 2001
Sensation - September, 2000
Paradise - June, 2000
SS Norway - May, 1996
Fantasy - November, 1993
SS Norway - May, 1993