Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Captain

Default Help with Cozumel

Hi, never been to Cozumel before. I am having trouble deciding on an excursion.
Any advise, tips or stories you may want to share with me would be greatly appreciated!!
The great people here helped me decide about Belize, now I need help with Cozumel.

Thanks in advance

Kathleen

20 DCL cruises and counting!
1 Carnival Glory cruise

Waiitng for the new ships to arrive for more magical cruises!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Cozumel is a great place to rent a jeep and go explore on your own. Thre's only one main road around the island... called Main Road

The island is small, and if you didn't stop at all, you'd be back at the starting point in just over an hour or so.

So...driving allows you to stop at several beaches and explore or relax, and still have time to head into the town of San Miguel and pay a visit to the shops or Carlos & Charlies, Senior Frogs, etc.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Admiral

My favorite excursions are Paradise Island beach which includes buffet lunch and open bar for the day. If you have more time a trip to Xcaret on the mainland (ferry to Playa del Carman) which is an ecological park complete with river tubing, beach, pool, restaurant, and equestrian exhibition.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Passenger

Twice I've done the Fiesta Party Boat which takes you to Playa Mia beach and had a great time. The second time I was pregnant, so no drinking, but I still enjoyed the excursion. There's live music on the boat and fruit or rum punch. People, including kids whom I was surprised to see there, were having fun on the boat dancing and doing the limbo, but nobody got out of hand. The beach itself was very nice and lounge chairs were included. There's a climb-on flotation device in the water for the kids, you can use tubes and paddle boats at no charge and a there's a decent restaurant right there. Food was extra.
I'd like to check out more of the island next time I visit. Renting a jeep sounds like a good plan.
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There is also Chanakaab Park in Cozumel. Its a short ride from the pier. Some really good snorkeling, plus they offer the dolphin swim if its available now. The park is big and a nice beach day.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Captain

Thanks for sharing, I ma so excited to see a new port. Last time we were suppose to stop there is was closed due to the hurricanes that went through a couple years ago.

Kathleen

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old March 6th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Admiral

There is still construction going on. I noticed a distinct landmark missing this time. So much to do, no time to do them all!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Captain

Yes, I have heard there is still plenty of damage and destruction that is visible. I am use to that. I live in Florida and was hit myself with 3 out of 4 hurricanes a few yesrs back when they blew through central Florida. We still have damaged areas around us. It just takes forever it seems to rebuild.
I am still very excited to see Cozumel. Since I have never been there I wont know what is missing anyway.

Kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old March 6th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Passenger

Default swimming with the dolphine?

For those who have done swimming the dolphins at Chakanaab... any regrets? There's four of us, husband, two teenage daughters and myself, so it would be costly. It sounds great but I guess I just don't want to be done and think "that just wasn't worth the $".
Thanks
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I'm doin gthe dolphin swim in May...unless I change my mind again! When are you going and we can compare notes?

Melody
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Passenger

Default dolphins

We're crusing June 10th. Would love to get your feedback. Sorry I can't help you too.
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Passenger

cozumel is great, we have been there twice.shopping is the best,you will find deals like never before. listen to your cruise director and make the meeting on cozumel he will tell you where to go for great deals and free stuff. i think when we were on the triumph last our carnival shopper was "lance".and if you are into a great time, that is a bar atmosphere you must go to carlos and charlie's. it is the wildest place,but as i say you must be looking for a bar, not for anyone who likes to dine in quite!!!have fun and wish we were going too!!
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Captain

Thankyou!!!

Kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old March 8th, 2007, 09:15 AM
First Mate

What do you enjoy doing, Kathleen? Do you like a little adventure, or to explore historical ruins? Is shopping your thing or do you like to scuba or snorkel? Or is your idea of heaven just sitting on a beach under a palapa sipping a margarita?

It's all available to you in Cozumel....it's just up to you to decide what you want to do!

Last October we spent a week in Cozumel, so we had a chance to do pretty much everything we felt like doing.

The only thing I haven't done yet, that I still want to do is to swim with the dolphins at Chankanaab Park.

When we were in Cozumel last October it just so happened that we won a free week's stay at the same resort we were staying at, so we'll be going again this year. I'm going to set aside $$$ specifically for swiming with the dolphins this time!
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:39 AM
First Mate

My wife and 10-yr old daughter did the Dolphin Swim last October and loved it. My older daughter did it 2 years ago and loved it.

I notice you list the Disney Magic Western Caribbean - didn't it stop at Cozumel then? My wife/daughter were on the Magic in October 06 and it certainly went to Cozumel.

Another tour I liked was the Tulum tour - it's a long day/bus ride, but the ruins are absolutely gorgeous!

If you rent a jeep, make sure you buy their insurance. I know of someone who rented (maybe a moped?), had an accident, and missed the boat because he was still hassling with the police...
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to saleaaway

Hi we taken the four man jeep tours. We had a great time, you drive the jeeps yourself, they take you off road and than have lunch on the beach. Fun time and not so expensive. And like stated in an earlier post all the shopping is so great. Can get some neat things for very little money.
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Captain

danacline,
yes we were on the Magic but the port of Cozumel was still closed due to the hurricane damage. We went to costa Maya instead.

My family loves to swim and snorkle, but I dont swim, so that creats a problem sometimes. Some sxcursions have more than just snorkeling and I dont mind waiting and watching on the boat.
I guess my first time at a port I just like to get an over all feel for the island and it's culture. I did the ruins at Costa Maya and they were great.

My family is open to all things. they have never tried something they didnt like. We all like to experience new things.

we do have 2 grandkids with us ages 13 and 16, they are both good swimmers and both can snorkel, so they can do most things too.

Thanks for all the ideas. it is very exciting to think and plan for this.

kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise

Old March 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Beginner

I will be in Cozumel on April 27 on the Carnival Legend. This will be my 4th time there in 2 years. Love it. Rent a jeep in the Port area for abaout $50 for the day and drive out to Paradise Beach for the day. We have checked out all the beaches and have found this to be the best. Food is good and reasonably priced and the drinks are terrific. A "Yard" of Long Island Iced Tea is my favorite. My fiancee and I just take the sun while my 16 yr. old gets her hair braided, rents Jetskis, etc. If you have kids a good deal. For $10 they can get a wristband for unlimited use of the Water Trampoline, and climbing the floating "Iceberg Mountain".

Many beaches were destroyed in Cozumel when Hurricane Wilma came through a couple of years ago and even the brand new piers for docking were just a couple of chunks of cement sticking out of the water along with rebars rising out of the water. It was soo sad. One cruise there were beautiful new piers and the following year we were tendered in, it was a sad site. But the natives of Cozumel have worked AROUND THE CLOCK literally to rebuild and it is amazing. I was there last February on the Miracle and then again in April on the Inspiration and its simply amazing how much they accomplished in 2 months. With that in mind, I cannot wait to get there in April on the Legend.

Hope this helps!!
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Captain

Thanks for the info, it all helps. This is the week I have to decide on what we will be doing. So many great things to decide. I have another cruise booked in 08 that will stop at Cozumel too. So I will have 2 chances at it.

thanks again,
Kathy

1 Carnival Glory cruise