Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:52 AM
First Mate

Default Fun Ship Dollars

Let's say I add $1000 worth of Fun Ship dollars to my S&S account prior to my cruise. If my balance due at the end of the cruise is under $1000, will a check be issued for the difference or will it be in the form of credit?

If I can only get credit back for unused portions, I'd rather play it safe and buy too few fun ship dollars and pay off the rest in cash then buy too many up front and not be able to get the unused amount back in cash.
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I would be interested in an answer to this too. I am probably going on another cruise next Feb, and telling all who ask "What do you want for Christmas" to get me Fun Ship Dollars to use for excursions and whatnot.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Passenger

I've purchased Funship dollars and had them put directly on my S & S account as On Board Credit. You are issued a check for whatever remains on your account.
Inspiration (4/07)
NCL Sea
Sun
SS Norway
RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Admiral

True. You go to the Pursor's Office on the last day and settle your account. Any balances owed to you will be issued as a check.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I use the gift certificate fun dollars for my on board credit they issue you a ck at the end. I llove using these as my on board credit and spending money is set aside and paid for in full before I board the ship. Remember they have to be mailed certified mail to Miami. One time I forgot and the pursuers desk did it but it took hours for them to credit my sign and sail.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Passenger

You can do the Funship Dollars online and have them applied directly to your S & S Account. No mailing them back and all that. If you need to know how let me know and I'll give you the info.
Inspiration (4/07)
NCL Sea
Sun
SS Norway
RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Admiral

sjohnson yes could you please tell me how to get them applied. I did it once and it sort of bothered them and it took hours for them to apply all the gift certificates. I just mailed another one to Miami and the certified mailing does add up. My question also is how do you truly know they applied them until you board the ship?

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Passenger

As long as you have your booking number, here's how it works...

Go on the Carnival website and call up the Funship Dollars. On the address line put your booking number

On the next line put "Use as On Board Credit"

Then send it off. About an hour later you will receive an email confirming that it was received. Then you will receive another email stating it will be applied as onboard credit.

Approxaimtely 3 days later you can call up your reservation on Carnival's website, and click on Modify Booking. You will see your credit has been applied. I did this on Friday and the credit just showed up today, however the emails were both received on Friday night so I knew I was ok. I printed the emails off just to be safe and I will take them with me, but my cruise reservation now shows the credit has been applied.

Feel free to ask any questions, it sounds confusing but it's really easy. Much better than sending them back to Carnival, which I have done in the past because I didn't know this technique existed.
Inspiration (4/07)
NCL Sea
Sun
SS Norway
RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:05 AM
First Mate

Default what are fun ship dollars good for

are these good for anything on the ship that you might normally charge to your sail pass? i.e. goods in the onboard shops, can they be used to appli to room service tips?

I was going to get my son some FSD's to spend as he wants for souvenirs etc. on board.
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Passenger

It's applied onto your Sail and Sign account so yes, you can use it for anything.
Inspiration (4/07)
NCL Sea
Sun
SS Norway
RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Admiral

The dept that handles the fun dollars sent it by paper gift certificate and I had to send it certified mail all of them to Miami. I didn't book the cruise with Carnival I booked the cruise online with someone else. I just don't see what you do when you say put the booking number which I did and I did the on board credit in the space provided but they still sent me the gift certificate in paper form.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Admiral

OK I went back and looked . I can view my reservation but it does not have any place to modify booking and see on board credit applied. Did you book your cruise through Carnival? Like I said I wrote on board credit on the line to write something custom but all they do is send me an email to say my credit card went through on the transaction. Then I receive the paper version of the gift certificates.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Passenger

How amny months or days from your cruise can you do this because i am thinking about doing this as its hard for me to save money so if i can gradually put it on my account before we sail it probably be better or not give me any answers thanks for the tip .
When will we get are nooking number my brother in law booked it and has already paid our down payment through the TA
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Passenger

The booking number goes on the first address line, then "Use as On Board Credit" goes on the 2nd address line.

I got a confirmation email within an hour, and when I checked "Modify Booking" on the Carnival site, the credit was there within 3 days.

I booked my cruise through Carnival so that could be the difference. I had no problem whatsoever. I plan on doing this weekly until about 2 weeks before the cruise (I cruise 4/26). The first time I only did $25 which was the lowest amount, so that if something went wrong I wouldn't freak out so badly. HA.

I also odered and paid for my excursion on the Carnival site so that is all taken care of.

I got this information off of this site from another poster and I was thrilled that it worked. I hope you have no problems!
Inspiration (4/07)
NCL Sea
Sun
SS Norway
RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Passenger

8) Thanks for the help I think I will do that because it be easier then saving it at home and thinking i can spend a little here or there this way its already there for us when we arrive.
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I was probably the poster that said you can do this. It is really helpful for those who don't want to come home with high credit bills.

Not only will the Purser give you a check for the balance, but they will also cash the check for you, so that you end up with cash.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Admiral

OK I purchased a $25.00 dollar gift certificate for my sister for her birthday and did what SJ said to do with putting the on board credit on the address line. Now I wonder if she got credited with the gift as the email I received was nothing like SJ said it would be. All it said was it went through on my credit card.
I was also alittle disappointed today I called the Gift telephone line to make sure my credit was given to me and the rep refused to speak to me. He said you did not book directly with Carnival did you. I said I did not buy these gift certificates through a travel agency I purchased them online by myself. I said you don't get it this is done by oneself online and it doesn't matter who you book it with you pay for them yourself. I finally talked him into checking my on board credit but he made me give him each and every number of the certificate. Thinking about it now he didn't ask me my name only asked my booking number. I told the dude I booked online & don't get to talk to a rep from any travel agency. It was alot of trouble and took up my whole lunch time today. Why he just didn't look up my name and tell me whether my on board credit was done for me.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Admiral

What a jerk!!!! Who you book with has nothing to do with Gifts. Carnival has great telephone people, but I swear sometimes they need replacements, and say "Hey you, yes you, cleaning the bathroom. Come here and answer the phones for awhile."
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old March 16th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Passenger

My first email was just "received your stuff" email, but a few hours later I got another that said they would apply my certficiate as onboard credit. So there is 2 emails. I'm sorry you had such a problem, mine went easy as can be. I'm trying it again tonight so hopefully it will go as smoothly as last week, I plan on getting one every week until the cruise.
Inspiration (4/07)
NCL Sea
Sun
SS Norway
RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Admiral

I did mine all at once. It sure beats coming home with a large credit card bill.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old March 16th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I did mine all at once. It sure beats coming home with a large credit card bill.
Thats so wise i dont want ot come home from a good cruise and ahve to think about paying a big bill
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson529
The booking number goes on the first address line, then "Use as On Board Credit" goes on the 2nd address line.

I got a confirmation email within an hour, and when I checked "Modify Booking" on the Carnival site, the credit was there within 3 days.

I booked my cruise through Carnival so that could be the difference. I had no problem whatsoever. I plan on doing this weekly until about 2 weeks before the cruise (I cruise 4/26). The first time I only did $25 which was the lowest amount, so that if something went wrong I wouldn't freak out so badly. HA.

I also odered and paid for my excursion on the Carnival site so that is all taken care of.

I got this information off of this site from another poster and I was thrilled that it worked. I hope you have no problems!
Where exactly is the 'modify booking' link on the carnival site? I can't seem to find it.
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Passenger

sign into your "cruise details"

Sign in

"Cruise Control"

Modify Boooking

Your're there!
Inspiration (4/07)
NCL Sea
Sun
SS Norway
RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Old March 17th, 2007, 03:48 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson529
sign into your "cruise details"

Sign in

"Cruise Control"

Modify Boooking

Your're there!
Is this option only accessible if youve booked your cruise directly through Carnival? I went through a TA and the only things I see after signing on are 'View Cruise Details' and 'Complete Online Boarding Pass'.
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Passenger

I can't answer that. I booked directly through Carnival so it very well could be. But if you get the email stating the credit was added to your account, then just take the email(s) with you and there should be no problem. Maybe your TA could look it up and see if it was added.

I just ordered more this afternooon and got my first email stating they had received them.
Inspiration (4/07)
NCL Sea
Sun
SS Norway
RCCL Majesty of the Seas
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Admiral

I booked through a TA Registered on Carnival.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old March 18th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Admiral

OK I finally figured out how to do it as an on board credit. If you book not with Carnival they will not discuss how much is on there posted they tell you to call your travel agent. I booked online so I really didn't have a direct person to deal with but a rep was nice enough to check for me and called. I just did my sister gift online as a on board credit actually the way SJ said to do it here. It worked! Thanks for all the help you guys give us almost newbies.

Glory- 4/26/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Passenger

So glad it helped. Every little trick you can learn makes cruising so much more enjoyable!
Inspiration (4/07)
NCL Sea
Sun
SS Norway
RCCL Majesty of the Seas