Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:47 AM
First Mate

Default Is the patch a prescription item?

Is the patch a prescription item or can I get it over the counter.

Do most people use it?

I also heard that once you are sea sick it is to late and will not work.

Thanks,

Brian

Sensation
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Admiral

It is prescription. I don't use it....haven't for 10-15 years [they "recalled" the original formulation--I moved to something else--never saw a need to return]. If memory serves, you must start precruise and continue until debarkation.
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Admiral

The patch is prescription, as stated above. It does work, but should only be used if you are prone to extreme motion sickness. If you aren't sure whether or not you are prone to "extreme" motion sickness, I would guess that you aren't. In that case, use the over-the-counter medications that are available. They will work for mild cases. They have non-drowsy formulas available.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Captain

I've talked to quite a few people who have had major problems with the patch. I wouldn't use it. I buy the Walmart brand motion sickness pills. I have only had to use them once, and they worked great. I got sick on the ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen. I took the pill as soon as I realized I had one in my purse. I felt better within minutes of taking it.

Have a great time on your cruise!!

Libragirl from Texas
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Passenger

Has anyone used the bracelets?

I just called out WM pharmacy and they are about 7.80 each and you don't need a precription. My TA suggested it over a patch.
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon
Has anyone used the bracelets?
That's what I now use. While they're hardly a "fashion statement", I've never had any problems with motion sickness when using them.
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Admiral

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) is prone to seasickness, and will only use Bonine, (Meclizine 25m/g). She takes one a day, and has never had a problem, even with very rough seas. They are an "over the counter" medication, relatively inexpensive, don't seem to make her sleepy, and work very well.

Happy sailing,

Ken
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Passenger

I agree to stay away from the patch. I used one on a cruise last year thinking I was being smart. All it did was make me feel very sleepy and slightly nauseated the whole time. It also dialated my eyes. Even when I took it off, it was too late. The ship doctors really advise against it. My husband uses it and loves it. I think the dosage is too much for smaller people. I would advise using either Bonine or Dramamine.
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:14 PM
First Mate

Is Dramamine available over the counter?

Thanks,

Brian

Sensation
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've used ginger capsules and if the weather gets rough and need something more, I get it from the infirmary on board.

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpm
Is Dramamine available over the counter?
Both Dramamine and Bonine are OTC. In addition, both usually available at Pursers Desk/Infirmary. No charge.
Old March 10th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

I disagree with everyone. I did not get tired at all and could drink if I wanted to. It cost me $20.00 I think it is great and would highly recomend it

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Freedom May 2010
Carnival Liberty January 2009
Carnival Freedom April 2008
Carnival Glory April 2007
Carnival Miracle March 2006
Carnival Glory April 2005
Old March 11th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

The Scopolomine patch is only available by prescription and you should ALWAYS consult with your physician or pharmacist before taking any medication.

Medications may have different effects on different people. Some people may use "The patch" and have no side effects and others may have a number of side effects. Some people may take Meclizine and have no side effects and others, like me, may have a number of them. It is always good to try the medication before you go on the cruise to see if there are adverse side effects, rather than on the cruise. It's better to have a reaction at home than in the middle of the ocean. My Otoneurologist gave me this advice.

If you really believe you will become seasick you will and there isn't anything that will stop it, other than getting your mind off of thinking about being seasick. Luckily there are a lot of things on cruise that will help you do this. Unfortunately one of those things is eating. There are many rich, and unfamiliar foods and drinks on a cruise and this can make your stomach upset, leading you to think you are seasick. Ginger greatly helps for these situations. Use it! It helps digestion.

There is also a major difference between motion sickness and true seasickness. If you experience motion sickness you will become nauseous and lightheaded. You may also become slightly dizzy. If you become truly seasick, you will wish for death and Scopolomine, Bonine or Dramamine will not help you once this happens. You'll usually get rid of what's in your stomach, take a nap and feel OK.

However some folks do end up wishing for death but thankfully, very few people become truly seasick and the ship's doctor will give you a shot that will help you. Promethazine, Florazine and Compazine are the most common. They are also fairly expensive.

So: If you have a history of motion sickness: i.e. carsickness, airsickness, etc. visit your doctor and discuss your options and see if medication is right for you. Take, a test run, of your medication a few days BEFORE your cruise to see how it effects you. If it has an adverse effect call your doctor and tell them about the effect and see if there is something else that you can take. Take the medication before you board the ship and as prescribed and then enjoy yourself!!!

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:35 AM
First Mate

I hate the implication that motion sickness is all in your mind. It IS in your head (having to do with conflicting signals to the brain from your eyes and your inner ears), however!

Thinking about something else helps, just as not thinking about the needle in your arm when giving blood helps! *L*

I do have a question re: Over the counter drugs.....does that mean they are "off the shelf" or that you have to ask the pharmacist to get them from their shelf, even though you don't need a prescription? (Such as so many of the cold and sinus medications now)

I have generally used Dramamine (I think I purchase it off the drug store shelf, but it's been a couple of years). But I have heard so many good reports about both the accupressure wrist band and such homeopathic remedies as ginger tablets, I think I will take those along this upcoming cruise. I don't suppose there would be any harm in both taking Dramamine and wearing the wristband....?[/i]
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default seasickness

skymaster is right -- bonine/meclizine works quite well - I always use it for flying, too. Doesn't make you feel weird/spaced out/drowsy, etc. and I am VERY prone to seasickness. It's not behind the pharmacy counter, but right there on the shelf.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by terri910
But I have heard so many good reports about both the accupressure wrist band and such homeopathic remedies as ginger tablets, I think I will take those along this upcoming cruise. I don't suppose there would be any harm in both taking Dramamine and wearing the wristband
No problem. Of course, it's never a good idea tto mix meds [whether prescription or OTC].
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Over The Counter (OTC) means any medication that does not require a prescription. It may be on the shelf or you can ask the pharmacist for it. they can direct you to it. It may be behind the counter or on the shelf. You can obtain Meclizine (Bonine, Antivert), active ingredient in Bonine, by asking for it from the pharmacist. The standard dose is 25 Mg.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default note about seasickness meds

As I've said before, PLEASE be sure to try it out a couple of weeks before you go.... I will FOREVER be glad I did that as the patch made me violently ill within 2 hours after putting it on, and even though I removed it immediately, the nausea lasted for 3 days.

You just never know how you're going to respond to something new.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro

I swear by BODINE and learned about it from this site. Usually don't take it only one when I board but its the best and sold in all drug stores or department stores like walmart or kmart.

Inspiration-2004, 2005, 2009
Glory- 4/26/2009
Sensation -4/2007, 10/2009
2/2010 & 11/3/2011
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Yeoman

Just got back from our first cruise and I used the patch.

I think size has a lot to do with how well the patch works. My 6 foot tall 200lb BF had no problems with it minus a little drowsinesses at night. I personally will not use it again (5' 4" and 125 lbs). I was very tired, by the 3rd day everything I was reading was blurry and I was slightly sick to my stomach. I think I will try OTC medicines from now on.

Just as an FYI I am not prone to motion sickness but didn't want to take a chance so I tried the patches. Someone with extreme motion sicknesses might have a different experience with the patch than I did. Carla
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:09 PM
First Mate

I used the patch my first cruise, and the side effects from the patch were as bad as motion sickness.
I have been on 7 cruises since that first one and always use bonine....works wonderful, start a day or two before you leave to get it in your system.

Carnival Victory
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Passenger

My husband CAN use the patch. He is also 200 pounds. I weigh 115, and we were using the same dosage! LIke I said before, it made me queasy and sleepy. I would NEVER give them to any children, even though your pediatrician will give it to you if you ask. On our first cruise, I ordered some for my daughter from her pediatrician. I had no idea that my 8-year old's prescription was same strength that my husband and I had! I thought they would give her a pediatric strength patch, but the patch only comes ONE way. She was so drugged up that she wet the bed (which she had never done before). I'm just saying that it isn't worth the side effects. My advice is to try anything before you try the patch.
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem
I used the patch my first cruise, and the side effects from the patch were as bad as motion sickness.
I have been on 7 cruises since that first one and always use bonine....works wonderful, start a day or two before you leave to get it in your system.
What is bonie?

Brian

Sensation
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Passenger

Bonine is just like Dramamine. I don't really know the difference. I DID notice that the generic "motion sickness" pills that say "less drowsy" are only "less drowsy" because they have only half the strength of the regular pills. For example, at Bruno's, their "less drowsy motion sickness" pills have 25mg of Dimenhydrinate per dose, and the regular "motion sickness" pills have 50mg! That's why they are "less drowsy". Also, you pay the same price. Make sure you read the labels. Now, my son swears you can cut the patch in two to lessen the dose. However, I am skeptical because it is a time-release kind of thing. Cutting it seems like it would mess it up somehow.
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Admiral

I've worn the patch on four cruises and the only side affects I have had are slightly reddened eyes - and lots of extra $$$$ in my pocket because I can't drink while I'm wearing it. The patch is available over the counter here in Canada. You can't cut it up - the cautions on the package are very strong on that one - as the medication in the patch must not get near any part of the body other than behind the ear and you must wash your hands thoroughly after the application.

It worked great for me and I am very prone to motion sickness - I can't even use the racing car program on the computer without getting sick lol.

ttfn Jennifer

Next - North to Alaska - September, 2007