Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Passenger

Default Cruising from New Orleans......

My hubby and I will be cruising out of New Orleans soon and we will be staying the night before and the night after we return. We wanted to take a little time to see the city of New Orleans.

Does anyone have any recomendations on things to do/see in New Orleans? Places to eat?

Thanks for all your help, in advance!

(sorry if I posted this in the wrong place )
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Admiral

The IMAX Theater and the Aquarium are both very interesting. Riverwalk is nice. Take time to read all the information plaques along the way. Jackson Square. The Market place (can't think exactly what it is called.) Graveyard tours (with a tour agency), and VooDoo tours. I don't know what is still left after Katrina, but N.O. is full of history. DO NOT wonder off from the main area though. Someplaces are still very dangerous. I don't know about eating or places to stay. Just make sure it is in a safe area. I like N.O.'s but my BF hates it, so we just don't go and haven't been since Katrina detroyed so much of it. Have fun, and be careful.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Cruising from New Orleans......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jene
My hubby and I will be cruising out of New Orleans soon and we will be staying the night before and the night after we return. We wanted to take a little time to see the city of New Orleans.

Does anyone have any recomendations on things to do/see in New Orleans? Places to eat?

Thanks for all your help, in advance!
We will be cruising out of NO as well. We also live fairly close to NO and go there a couple times a year, although this will be our first trip down since Katrina.

The last post had several good suggestions about things to do. The Aquarium and Imax theatre are good choices. Jackson Square (French Quarter) is nice during the day when the artists/mimes/fortune tellers are out. Good shopping throughout the Quarter. The N.O. zoo is actually really nice. After dark, the Bourbon Street area in the Quarter will start cranking up. It's pretty risque and rowdy, so definitely not a place to take children (not even during the day on Bourbon).

Places to eat? Oh man, too many to list. All depends on what you are looking for. I think we are going to try "Mulates" this time. It's an authentic cajun restaurant and it's supposed to be family friendly with live music. It's located next to the convention center. Our favorite in N.O. is Emiril's, but you'll have to have reservations way in advance.
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Admiral

exactly when are you coming ? how many days in advance of your cruise and are you planning to stay a few days after ?

based upon the above, i may be able to give you some suggestions
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Passenger

Hello,

In regards to it being "dangerous" if you walk off of the beaten path...That is a myth...it is no different than any other major city. So do not be intimidated or frightened. My city is absolutely beautiful and we welcome everyone back. The French Quarter and places nearby really show little to no affects of Katrina.

If you can, make a reservation at Emerils for dinner. It is worth the hype. Also, any of Dickie Brennan's or Ralph Brennan's places offer great food. You can google the names and find their websites.

The French Quarter is a must. Royal Street offers a plethora of art galleries for all different tastes.

Uptown New Orleans, particulary St.Charles Ave, will give you a great example of century old mansions and aristocracy. If you are into antiques, Magazine street offers an extensive assortment of shops as well.

Thank you for interest in New Orleans. Come down, enjoy yourself and spend some money.

2/23/2006 - Carnival Inspiration
4/24/2004 - Carnival Triumph
3/15/2003 - Royal Car. Freedom of the Seas
2/25/2002 - Carnival Fascination
2/24/2001 - Carnival Imagination
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
exactly when are you coming ? how many days in advance of your cruise and are you planning to stay a few days after ?

based upon the above, i may be able to give you some suggestions
We will be there on Sunday around 2- and will board the ship Monday around noon. Then we will return Saturday early morning, and stay until Sunday around 10.

I am interested in seeing the aquarium, and husband wants to see the cemetaries. Can you just go walk around through them, or do you have to take a graveyard tour as listed above?

Besides those few things, I have no idea what else New Orleans offers. We won't have any children with us, so Bourbon St is a must! Mainly just want to see it, not necessarily go out and get trashed!

What is the IMAX theatre?
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Passenger

The D-Day museum is fabulous!! My husband and I have been to New Orleans many times, and even cruised out of there in 2005. We did a cemetery tour, that was fun also. We haven't been since the hurricane, so I don't know what shape the aquarium is in, but it was good in the past. Don't forget to go to Pat O'Briens and get the famous Hurricane and Cafe Du Monde for their world famous beignets!
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Passenger

Does anybody know a good website to look for the different tours?

Or the name of a business that has good cemetary/voo doo tours?

I googled it and found a lot, but not sure which are good, and reliable.
Thanks!
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Admiral

My wife and I just found a cemetary, parked and wandered around by ourselves.

BTW, even our bartender at the hotel warned us to stay with the crowd while in the French Quarter after dark.
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Admiral

About the cemetaries. I have been warned before about going to one alone (without a group), but it may depend on where it is. I think N.O. is fairly safe if you stay within the "tourist" area. As I said before I like going to N.O. and walking around and site seeing. Would love to go back for a daytime visit and maybe one day we will.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Admiral

within those time restraints (and also where are you staying ?), I would suggest the following for a true New Orleans experience :

the night before your cruise you may want to dine at NOLA (Emerille 's place) on 534 St Louis Street (504 522-6852) which is right in the French Quarter and then check out the French Quarter (you'll be perfectly safe)

Upon your return on that Saturday, you may want to do visit the New Orleans Historic Collection on 533 Royal Street (opens on Saturday at 0930 am) and then do the Grey Line Hurricane Katrina Tour (about $35, and leaves at 1 pm 504 569-1400) and then finish up at Snug Harbor (626 Frenchmen Street 504 949 0696) for great Creole food and the 10 pm Jazz show which features Winton Marselis's Dad's trio on most saturday nights

Sunday morning, do the Gospel Brunch at the House of Blues (don't have their number but make reservations before you leave for your cruise)
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Passenger

Wow, thanks SO much for all that information, and phone numbers!!! That will be very helpful.
And thanks to everybody else for the suggestions too!
Sounds like we will have a great time, thanks to you guys!
Old March 12th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Admiral

also do Cafe Dumonde after hanging out in the French Quarter late sunday night (it's right by the water and they are open 24 hours-7 days per week), be prepared to get lots of sugar on your clothes and it has great new orleans style coffee with plenty of chickeree (sp ?)

I'll check Friday's paper to see if there are any festivals this weekend..too bad you were not coming next month, you could attend Jazz Fest or the French Quarter Festival
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Passenger

What about doing a plantation tour? Oak Alley looks beautiful, know anything about that? We are planning on staying at the Maison St. Charles, do you that hotel? We are bringing a group of around 20 but do not want to do the aquarium (got one at home) nor do we want museums, is Margaritaville in a safe area for night?
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Oak Alley is not close to New Orleans. However, you can do a plantation tour, which I love. Oak Alley is a gorgeous home! Any hotel will have info on the plantation tours. I think the River Road Plantation Tour is a good one. Since we live close, we just drive. Venice might have some good info. The last time I went to Oak Alley was for the craft fair and it's going to be there the weekend of March 23rd. We had a great time! The mint julep will knock your socks off! A strong drink! I'm sure it kept the southern ladies happy! Plantations are spread out over the area along the river (or what used to be along the river). Margaritaville is close to the french market (not to be confused with the French Quarter, which is also close by) and yes you can go there at night.

JMO...stay out of the cemeteries unless you are with a large group. Stick with your group and you will be fine. Areas I do not venture into after dark...Louis Armstrong Park and the surrounding area, Canal Street past the hotels and side streets in the Quarter. Acme Oyster house is good too. I like Landry's Seafood and Mother's Restaurant. Oh, I had a roast beef poboy at Pontalba House once...it was good.....overpriced, but good!

I'll be there on March 26th to meet Beenie Weenie from Cruisemates. When are you coming?
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Admiral

IMAX is a 3D theatre. Venice are they still showing that Katrina feature at IMAX?
Old March 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Admiral

mstill...you suggest staying out of cemetaries unless you are with a large group.
Does this go for daylight also?

I only ask because my wife and I wandered a few alone during the day and saw few people. The ones we did encounterd were friendly.

Were we just lucky?
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Passenger

We will not be there untill Oct. I am planning for the group so I am trying to get an early start.

How far to Oak Alley from where we'll be?

Thanks for your imput!
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Rinker,

You were lucky. Always go with a group to the cemeteries, always.

JRFan1

I would estimate 45 minutes to Oak Alley. The tours will stop by several plantations, or you can drive yourself. It's a lot of fun if you like plantations and history. We have been to a lot of them.

We stayed overnight at The Myrtles Plantation in St. Francisville. It's the haunted plantation. I was a little skeptical at first, then I had my photos developed...things happened that night. I was asleep in bed and I felt someone push me on my shoulder. My husband was on the opposite side of me, so it wasn't him, besides he was snoring away! I jumped out of bed and flipped the light on and there was nothing there.

Then we saw dancing lights over the graveyard. It wasn't just us, there were about 10 people staying there. One couple got up and left at about 11:00 PM. They wouldn't even stop to talk about what happened. They ran to their car and left. No employees stay overnight, so you are left on your own. The tour portions of the house are inaccessible at night. After the candlelight tour, the employees lock it up and leave. Those of us who stayed roamed the grounds until the wee hours! The Myrtles is a far drive from New Orleans...at least 2 hours.

If I can help you with anything else, PM me!

Melody
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Admiral

I don't know if the piano bar is still on Bourbon Street or not. I looked for it when I met James and his DW and couldn't find it. If it's open, that's a lot of fun for everyone old enough to get in! Razzoo's is fun and I think the Kat's Meow was fun! By the time I got there one night I was pretty much "lickered up" (as they say), anyway I vaguely recall being pulled onstage by the MC and dancing on the stage! After that well, we won't go into that!

Just to clarify.....I was not with JamesRT when I went to the Piano Bar, Razzoo's or The Cat's Meow. I brought James and his DW to Bourbon St in the daytime!

Melody
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Oh, there is a haunted hotel in the Quarter...I can't remember which one it is.................Oh Venice, help me!
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Do enjoy a meal a "Mothers".Visit the French Market and Quarter.Bourbon Street is a MUST!
If you like a fancy good sit down dinner,try Baccos,hope I spelled it right,and most of all use the mstill tour guide company!
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Admiral

If you have kids in your group, they will enjoy the Children's Museum and the zoo is great. Also, right across the river is Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World. You can see the floats, costumes, etc. I think you can even wear the costumes. Great for all ages. The Riverwalk is fun, but DH said a lot of the stores aren't open....Venice what do you know about this? I like the Jax Brewery! PreKatrina they had some great stores in there (it's not a brewery anymore). Great little shops all around the Quarter too! Venice is right, get some beignets! Beware of sugar fights!

I'm sure I'll think of some more stuff and let you know!

Melody
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Admiral

"Rinker,

You were lucky. Always go with a group to the cemeteries, always."

Maybe it was the gallon of appletini's that emboldened us!

We will follow your advice next time, thanks.
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Admiral

been busy with work..I'll do some research tomorrow morning (thursday) and let everyone know about the above posted questions
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:58 AM
Familiar Face

mstill, I personally can't confirm the happenings at The Myrtles, but I have a co-worker who says he'll never go back. He told us there were some things that happened that night that he don't even want to talk about. His wife was ready to leave by 10:00 PM, he said she was so scared that they left about 3:00 in the morning to go home. I have seen the photo's he had taken while there and they do show some really weird stuff. Rick
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Admiral

If I have my pics at work and if I can get to the scanner without anyone seeing me, I will try to post two of the pics that made the hair on my neck stand up. From what I understand, Oprah stayed at The Myrtles and left in the middle of the night with her entire crew, vowing never to return!

We walked around the cemetery on the grounds and saw lights dancing by the unused caretaker's cottage. Thinking someone had flashlights out, we headed that way. When we got to the cottage, the lights were dancing in the air, in the yard, right there in front of us. No one was there with flashlights and you could almost reach out and touch the lights.

The second picture is of the mirror in the hallway. The tour guide gave this account. When someone died, it was customary to cover all the mirrors in the house. This particular mirror did not get covered. An image of children and a man and a woman appeared in the mirror. The glass in the mirror has been changed many times over the years. Each time it has been changed, the nice shiny new mirror begins to change into a worn out mirror. I saw absolutely nothing in the mirror, but I snapped a picture as we walked from the room (flash photography was not allowed, so I had to linger behind until everyone walked to the next room). The picture shows the image of children and a man and a woman in the mirror.

I passed through the dining room and into the ladies sitting room to catch up with the crowd. I was in the back of the group with other people standing around me. I was the only one who felt the coldness. It wasn't a breeze like from an a/c.....it was cold right there in that spot only. Only when I stepped forward about two steps did I realize the coldness did not fill the entire room.

The game room had frames and frames of photos taken by guests that showed images of the slave in the yard and children on the roof. I was sure they were fabricated, until I got my photos ( I used a disposable camera. I wanted to bring them to the camera shop to get them developed, but DH ran to WalMart as soon as he could).

I promised our youngest child that she could stay at The Myrtles on Halloween night. Reservations are booked years in advance. I'll let you know what happens!

Melody

Well I just checked and the pics aren't here. I must have brought them home when we moved to this new office.
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Okay,

I found a link to a site that lists the haunted hotels
http://www.hauntedneworleanstours.co...tednolahotels/ I see there is a haunting tour...I haven't done this tour, but I am willing to give it a try, if I can find someone to go with me!

It lists the Le Pavilion Hotel as one of the haunted hotels. I have stayed there, but not in one of the haunted rooms. You have to request those. However, the housekeepers showed us one of the haunted suites. They only clean those suites in pairs, not sure why...maybe it's quicker, or they feel safer. During my stay at the Le Pavilion we had no unexplained experiences. A neat thing is that the bathroom mirrors are heated right above the sink, so when the shower steams up the bathroom, that spot doesn't fog over! Comfy, comfy beds (GREAT BEDS!). We had an exquisite breakfast....expensive but exquisite. From your room you would never know you were staying in a hotel. Loved it and am ready to stay there again!

As far as the other hotels, I haven't heard any stories, but most of the people I know have no reason to stay in a New Orleans hotel. If I get a volunteer to do the haunting tour, I'll let you know!

Venice, are you and DW interested in doing the haunted tour with me?

Melody
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Passenger

OMG, you are so brave! My husband would like to stay in a haunted hotel, but there is just no way. I can't even watch scary movies, they give me nightmares. I would be terrified.
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Admiral

I just figure you can always leave! The Myrtles didn't scare me that much...I would say it was intriguing. The walking haunted tour is a different story. I know how dark those cemeteries are, so I want PLENTY OF COMPANY!