Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Passenger

Default Safety on a Carnival

I'm a bit worried. I just read cruise bruise and noticed that there were a LOT of overboards in 2006 - all between 12am - 2am. How safe is cruising really. Anyone have any horror stories?
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Admiral

Well. lets see--- in my mid-sized city in ' 06 we had well over 100 armed robberies, burglaries too many to even try to mention, vandalism crimes by the score, drug bust's by the dozens, a couple dozen rapes, several children killed by various means. --- not to even mention the murders--- the list could go on and on.
One mid-sized city--no public cry of alarm-- no press except for local news giving it a ho-hum mention--- BUT-- if a drunk chooses to walk the balcony rail on a cruise ship and flops his arse overboard---well now, that's just a different story alltogether.
I don't know what is considered " LOTS " but considering the fact that approx.12 million people cruised last year and that there were a small
handful out of this approx. 12 million that had a problem and too, considering that almost all of those that had a problem involved drunken idiotic behavior, then I would think your odds of having a problem would be very small. Better to worry about what might happen to you on the way to and from the grocery, mall, work, etc. than worry about a cruise.
Happy sails.
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

no horror stories here, thank goodness!
I checked out the site after seeing your post. SCARY! On my last cruise (Triumph in December) on the third night I remembered that I used to walk in my sleep when I was little. We had a balcony room and I wanted to sleep with the door open. So I took both chairs from the balcony and stacked them one on top of the other so that if I walked in my sleep I wouldn't go overboard (the chairs would wake me up!). ( but NOT funny too) Next cruise I told DH I am tying a string between my toe and his. If I get up, then he will wake up. He better be ready for lots of trips to the bathroom!
raina
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Admiral

Just don't do anything ill advised and you'll be safe.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Yeoman

Also stay with someone at all times while walking around the ship, especially at night. Most of the horror stories happen to people when the are alone wandering around the ship (usually drunk). My BF and I went everywhere together on our cruise and I didn't worry for one minute. Carla
Old March 13th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Admiral

just a hint.. You can't just fall off a ship. You have to be drunk and doing something stupid or you jump. Treat the ship as you would any vacation resort. Always be mindful of your personal safety. People are people no matter where you are.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 13th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Beginner

Well, I definitely agree that you have to TRY to fall over board. But when you are drunk or being careless, it could be easy.

With that being said, my first cruise on the Legend in May of 2006 had a jumper. It happened around 1am and from what I heard he was fighting with the wife, security baracaded him on the balcony as a saftey measure and thats when he took his life into his own hands. We spent the next 9hrs circling around looking for him. Never did find him. It was on our way home and instead of getting back at 9AM, it was 9PM.

Its not easy as long as your are smart about it! You are on the boat in the middle of the ocean, chances are... you wont be found.
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Passenger

I actually saw a fist fight break out on the Pride in the Taj Mahal theatre over a seat saving incident. 2 trailer trash looking guys. Picture Dog the Bounty Hunter fighting against Peter from The Family Guy. Their equally trashy looking wives were egging them on. It was actually more entertaining than the show that followed. Carnival does tend to attract a very "diverse" clientel. So I think you see more of the criminal element on their ships. I smelled pot several times while walking around the decks outside. Im fairly certain there was also some Exstacy (XTC) use going on as well. I never actually felt like I was in any sort of danger. It was all rather amusing. Kind of like a big sociology experiment that all takes place on a floating petri dish.
Celebrity Summit 2004
Celebrity Infinity 2005
Clipper Cruises Yankee Clipper 2006
Avalon Cruises Artistry 2006
Carnival Pride 2007
Old March 14th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Admiral

I have always felt safe on a ship. If I choose to stay up after my DH goes back to the cabin, I would never venture out to the open decks alone -- common sense. On our last cruise my DH noticed a woman in the Hot Tub late at night, alone, obviously upset. I located security and mentioned that she should be watched. She said that there were always 2 security officers on all open decks at night, so they would have been aware of her presence.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 14th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Never had a problem or had anyone's safety compromised. The only event out of the ordinary was a slight detour to pick up escapees from Cuba on a raft and wait for the Coast Guard to pick them up.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82