Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:36 AM
First Mate

Default Man runs through cabin window? Rescued from sea?

Old March 16th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Admiral

another bizarre story; he allegedly "ran" through a window - I certainly hope that the window was open because you would think they should unbreakable...
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
another bizarre story; he allegedly "ran" through a window - I certainly hope that the window was open
If it was open, then it was a door

Pretty poor reporting here actually.
Quote:
The 24-year-old man ran through a Carnival Cruise Lines ship cabin window and fell into the water off Fort Lauderdale, a witness told Coast Guard Petty Officer Dana Warr. It was unclear whether the window was open at the time.
But another drunk... not surprising.

Wonder how much of his own booze he brought onboard
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:15 AM
First Mate

he's lucky he was found. the fool will probably be drunk again tonight...

the real danger is that drunk fools do things that not only hurt themselves but others. All we need is an idiot drinking and smoking and starting a fire...

Too bad so many people "need" to drink.

I like the taste of wine so I will have an occasional one glass when I'm out to dinner, but that's no more than once a month. I had my share of h alcohol when I was young and stupid (early 20's) and it was the disco era and I always danced it off. I guess it's today's young and stupid generation we have to hope doesn't cause problems for us.
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Love to know if this guy is going to be banned from the cruise line. I hope so. No excuse for drunken idiots.

And people wonder why they can't bring alcohol aboard a ship? Duh!
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
But they can still buy it and in buckets! I didn't once see anyone get cut off when they were overly intoxicated.

We even had a couple drunken guys start a fight during a comedians show. The waitress came around right after that and served them more drinks. *sigh*
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
But they can still buy it and in buckets! I didn't once see anyone get cut off when they were overly intoxicated.

We even had a couple drunken guys start a fight during a comedians show. The waitress came around right after that and served them more drinks. *sigh*
and on this note, on the last cruise I was on, I had to report a passed out person to security; they would not even take her back to the room for her own safety - her sail card was being used by other people and it was not a pretty scene -- in any event all security did was close her card...
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Passenger

I can not not find anything about how he stayed afloat for 8 hours. Does anyone know how he survived in the ocean?

[Holiday '86 & Holiday '92; Caribe '90; Imagination '95; Seaward '97; Sensation '99; Fascination (Millennium Cruise) '00; Carnival Triumph '01; Carnival Pride '02; Paradise '03 (Smoke Free); Carnival Glory '04 (+3 extra Hurricane Days) & Carnival Glory '05; Inspiration '05; Carnival Mirical '06; Elation '06; Carnival Spirit (HAWAII) '07; Imagination '08; Glory '09; Carnival Freedom '10 & '12; Carnival Fantsey '10 & '11 & '11: NEXT Carnival Breeze 6/13]
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Passenger

The truly sad part of this incident is that this idiot is probably going to get some ambulance chasing attorney and file a law suit against carnival for not warning him that he could fall off the ship. Carnival will probably settle out of court just to make him go away.
Celebrity Summit 2004
Celebrity Infinity 2005
Clipper Cruises Yankee Clipper 2006
Avalon Cruises Artistry 2006
Carnival Pride 2007
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Passenger

He is very luckey on several points.
1. He managed to survive till help arrived.
2. He is not being prosicuted by any authorties.
3. Carnival did not kick him off or make other charges as they could have.
There is a much beeter story at FOX NEWS here:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259121,00.html
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Admiral

The comment on a future lawsuit is probably true. And-we will all pay part of the price for any settlement to this inebriated moron.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Man runs through cabin window? Rescued from sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
This has nothing to do with Carnival. This idiot could have been on ANY cruise ship and done the same thing. What a great role model he is for his god son (16 years old) who was on the cruise with him.

I am glad he is OK and I hope he seeks therapy for his drinking problem.
I hope that little boy is OK too!
What a horrifying thing to witness!
Raina

*Liberty 6-3-07
*Fascination 7-30-07

Triumph 12-16-06 (Married on the ship!)

Imagination 10-05 (*two extra days at sea due to Hurricane Wilma...YAY!)
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Admiral

" Through " a cabin window ?? Gimme a break. Has anyone who has been
on a cruise ship ever really looked closely at a cabin window? You can tap on one and it feels and sounds like your tapping on metal. They are so thick it would almost certainly kill you if you did indeed go through one.
Bad reporting indeed.
As far as the fool is concerned, he is probably the type who would strike a match to peek inside a gas tank to see if it was empty.
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Passenger

This guy is an idiot who should be banned from ALL cruiselines not just Carnival. He should pay for the rescue fee which I have heard from my fox channel that it is somewhere around $7300 plus he should pay for delaying both the Glory and the disney ship that was also helping with the search. And if he or his family members decide to sue Carnival I hope he looses. He gave passengers and crewmembers a bad memory that ruined their vacation and work experience. I have personally been on the Glory twice the latest last week and had my best cruise ever. The crewmembers that I meet where excellent ie. Amanda (trivia,bingo) and Ralph"Wee Jimmy" (cruise director). They all work their tails off for us to make sure that we have a great experience.

But what is it with people going on vacation letting down their guard and not being aware of their surrounding. What a stupid thing to do. Yes I do drink but I know when enough is enough where I can still recognize where I am and who I am. Sad to say that this idiot is from Orlando where I live. I hope that new cruisers are not put off from cruising because of a SOLE persons actions not the cruiseline actions. I will cruise Carnival no matter what happens from this because I have 3 good cruises and an excellent cruise. I hope to meet the crew again on another cruise maybe next March or next October.
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Man runs through cabin window? Rescued from sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumofny
This has nothing to do with Carnival. This idiot could have been on ANY cruise ship and done the same thing. What a great role model he is for his god son (16 years old) who was on the cruise with him.

I am glad he is OK and I hope he seeks therapy for his drinking problem.
I hope that little boy is OK too!
What a horrifying thing to witness!
Raina

Thank you for pointing out what I saw from the beginning... The hell with him for being that drunk....he's an idiot.... the sad part is what kind of role model is he for the kids that he was suppose to be taking care of/watching???

I realize the mom said that she has known him for 15 years BUT....... what a shame....
Old March 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

They updated the story to say he jumped from his balcony.

Cruise Ship Passenger Rescued After Jump
Saturday, March 17, 2007
E-mail this story | Print
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIAMI (AP) -- A man who jumped from a cruise ship off Florida's coast early Friday was rescued about eight hours later by the Coast Guard, officials said.

Michael Mankamyer, 35, waved his arms at crews when he was found at about 8:45 a.m., Coast Guard Petty Officer Jennifer Johnson said. He was airlifted to a hospital and the Coast Guard reported that he suffered from mild hypothermia but was otherwise in good condition.

The ship reported that Mankamyer had jumped from the balcony in his room and into the water around 12:45 a.m., a Coast Guard statement said.

A witness said Mankamyer was intoxicated, Coast Guard Petty Officer Dana Warr said.

Mankamyer was aboard the Carnival Glory, which operates out of Port Canaveral east of Orlando, according to the cruise company's Web site.

After the cruise ship alerted authorities, it stayed in the area to assist with the search, Warr said.

"The time that they did spend was appreciated," Warr said.

Warr said that ship and another cruise that assisted in the search left the area before Mankamyer was found.

Carnival spokesman Tim Gallagher said no additional details were immediately available.

(CORRECTS man's age and that he jumped off balcony not through window from previous version.)

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All right reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

He is a picture of the guy wasting our tax dollars. Maybe they should send him a bill...

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Admiral

They should send him the bill! He will probably sell his exclusive story to Extra or Enterntainment tonight and make a buck or two
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
MIAMI — A 35-year-old man, apparently having a little too much fun aboard one of Carnival's "fun ships," miraculously survived nearly eight hours bobbing in the Atlantic Ocean early Friday after racing drunk through the ship, jumping over the balcony in his room and plunging 60 feet into the waves below, Coast Guard officials said.
Racing through the ship? Sailing over the balcony? A witness in the cabin? What a moron!!

Believe it ir not, I have been drunk onboard but never, ever thought of jumping ship. I was having too much fun!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Carnival still in the lead! Here is comprehensive list of overboards.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

My fear is that one day the balconies will be completely covered, because of this bad behavior.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Here's a thought... the passengers on the cruise ship should file a calss action suit against him for the mental duress that they had inflicted upon them by him. He caused the ship to cease its forward motion to the intended destinations, caused the passengers to worry about whether he would be found or not, caused the passengers to have to consider seeing a human corpse at sea (something I would not want children to see), delayed activities upon the ship. They should go after him BIGTIME and break these idiots of their stupidity.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 18th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Passenger

Default Man overboard1

Just returned from the Glory yesterday. What a nightmare! I spoke with a gentleman and his wife who were next door to the man that jumped. The story goes is that the adult man and his godson or nephew were drinking and fighting really bad all week. The fight escalated on Thursday night. He did not jump through a window, but off the balcony. The duo were really drunk (someone was buying alcohol for that boy all week) and they had bought steroids in Mexico which would only increase agression. Security did handcuff the boy whose hands were "so bloody that you couldn't see skin color". Perhaps the man jumped becuse he was beating his godson to a pulp (as he was at least 300 lbs) and there was illegal drug use involved. The cabin neighbor said that he and his wife stayed in their room during the fight and called security which took about an hour before they came up. I realize that security must be really busy with all of the spring break kids, but perhaps if they had responded earlier this event could have been prevented. All in all, I am surprised that Carnival still stopped in Nassau and managed to salvage 3 and 1/2 hours there for those that have never been. What a night!!!
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

I am sailing on the Glory next month and have a balcony room. I was wondering what room that guy was in that fell (jumped) overboard?
Thanks
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Admiral

Don't worry it is not contagious.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Admiral

I am not worried but the wife is worried about me....
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Well then tell her not to annoy you.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Admiral

That is a good point. I will pass that advice on!
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Passenger

What a great idea for a movie! Kind of like The Shining on a cruise ship...............
Celebrity Summit 2004
Celebrity Infinity 2005
Clipper Cruises Yankee Clipper 2006
Avalon Cruises Artistry 2006
Carnival Pride 2007
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Captain

ok you guys are cracking me up. My husband just told me the same thing "dont annoy me or i might help you jump overboard"....

somehow that sounds backwards...

bet he sobered up real fast when he went overboard and realized no one yelled MAN OVERBOARD and the ship didnt somehow come to a screeching halt with floatation devices thrown....

I'm wondering how many idiots think they will be saved if they jump overboard infront of people....elstupido!

still wondering how he stayed afloat...drunk...in the middle of the ocean...for 8 hours. I can barely stay afloat in my bathtub.