Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Passenger

Default Requesting a Specific Dinner Table

On some cruiselines you can tip the Matre D in order to request a specific table (by the window for example). I hear that Carnival does not 'encourage' this. Does anyone know if its still possible to ensure you get the table you want on Carnival? I would be happy to pay $40 or so to ensure that I get a nice table for the entire cruise. Other than the cabin, this is the only thing that is set for the cruise and can vary significantly.

We have young kids so we are eating at the early seating. I tend to think this one is less crowded so there is more of a chance that a table or two are not already reserved.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Admiral

You would be surprised how many people go to main seating. I guess you could request a table change but you should do this right when you board. they have to move other people to try to accomodate you. If you've been in the dining room before and you know where you want to sit then you can make a request. I'm not sure if they will be able to do it but you can try. Typically, you can't change tables as your walking into dinner. You can try to change it for the next night but not the night you walk in unless as you say. the table is empty.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Dina is right. Main (first) seating is far more popular than late seating. Go immediantly to the matre'd when you board and request the table that you'd like. If you're lucky, and talk really nice, they might be able to take care of you.
Have a great cruise.

Ken
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Passenger

I cruised on the same boat 6 months ago and couldn't find the matre D before the actual seating. I would be happy to go find him at 3pm or whenever, but does anyone know where and when he might be hanging out?

This question is pertaining to the Carnival Glory if that matters...

Thanks!
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

And strange as it might seem, I have found that on Carnival it is an insult to tip the Maitre'd up front and then ask for a table change.... If it can be done, they will usually go out of their way to do it... Of course, at the end of the week, they will gladly accept the tip!!!

What we have done in the past is immediately go to our cabin to get our table assignment, then go check it out.... If at that point we don't like the location etc, we then very nicely go and explain our situation to the Maitre'd who usually takes our cabin information and name down, tells us he will see what he can do, and usually its changed by the next day at the latest....

Good Luck....
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
First Mate

we watched a family of four trade tables on formal night after everyone had already started drinking their water ect, which held up our servers, while they exchanged clean silverware, dishes ect, it was such a long night eatting, that night we did not even stay for dessert,
Destiny
Norwegian Majesty
Legend
Legend
Valor
Valor again Yahoo!
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Admiral

gogators, when you get on the ship, your Sail and Sign card will have your table assignment on it. Go to the dining room and check your table out. We have never had a bad table even when the boys cruised with us. They work hard figuring out where everyone goes. A couple of things come to mind...They might put cruisers with young children at a specific table or area for a reason and we have had many "window" tables and yes they were nice when we had to eat all three meals there. Now they have open seating for breakfast and lunch, leaving only dinner assigned. More often than not, it is dark at dinner or they close the curtains at dinner. Have fun and make memories.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Passenger

Interesting comments. The reason we want the window table is actually because the rear window tables in the Platinum dining room have what we consider a make-shift play area under the windows. Basically, since the windows are diagonal and stretch to the floor, you can't put tables right under them. We had a table right next to this and it allowed our kids to play cars/dolls or whatever.

So, hopefully they realize that and put people with kids there on purpose.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators
Interesting comments. The reason we want the window table is actually because the rear window tables in the Platinum dining room have what we consider a make-shift play area under the windows. Basically, since the windows are diagonal and stretch to the floor, you can't put tables right under them. We had a table right next to this and it allowed our kids to play cars/dolls or whatever.

So, hopefully they realize that and put people with kids there on purpose.

Thanks for your feedback.
In that case... Call your TA right now and explain this. There's no reason to wait. Your TA can call Carnival and make it so.

Old March 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Passenger

I booked directly through carnival and have called them twice already (months before the cruise) in hopes of getting a table request in.

Now that its 4 days away, do you think its too late, perfect time or what?

Also, since I don't have a travel agent, I will call myself. Do you think I am better off/worse off for not having an agent in this situation?

I'm quite good on the phone at getting what I want. I was just posting here to see if anyone had another 'trick' for getting this done.

I will let you know what happens.
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Admiral

You booked online with Carnival?

Ok.. sounds wierd but they pre-assign you a travel agent within Carnival. Don't just send them email. They won't answer it. Call them and tell them you booked through.. however and want to talk to your assigned PVP. This person will arrange things for you.

Old March 20th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Passenger

Dina,
Thanks again for all your help. I will certainly ask for the PVP. Out of curiousity why are you surprised that I booked directly through them? I did a lot of research and didn't find any TAs that offer pricing better than what Carnival gives me directly (after senior, past guest, FL resident discounts).

Also, FYI, the reason we are going AGAIN is because my father in law got sick the day before the cruise last time so he and his wife didn't get to go. Only 4 of the 6 of us went. After several back and forth discussions with Carnival, I got a FULL refund of my inlaw's fare. If anyone needs info on how to get that done, I can help.
Old March 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators
Dina,
Thanks again for all your help. I will certainly ask for the PVP. Out of curiousity why are you surprised that I booked directly through them? I did a lot of research and didn't find any TAs that offer pricing better than what Carnival gives me directly (after senior, past guest, FL resident discounts).

Also, FYI, the reason we are going AGAIN is because my father in law got sick the day before the cruise last time so he and his wife didn't get to go. Only 4 of the 6 of us went. After several back and forth discussions with Carnival, I got a FULL refund of my inlaw's fare. If anyone needs info on how to get that done, I can help.
Not surprised per se. People tend to find someone outside of Carnival(TA) and stick with them for exactly for the reason of this thread. There are certain things you want/need to happen. Like Group cruises and things like that. You just can't book and arrange things through online. My friend Tim has a Cruise PVP who gets him fantastic deals and lets him know immediately when prices drop. Going online will not get you that kind of service. Just my two cents.

I'm guessing you didn't buy travel insurance since you had to fight with Carnival. This is what its for but glad you got it worked out in the end.

Have a great cruise.