CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Getting a taxi when disembarking? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/330470-getting-taxi-when-disembarking.html)

dz63 March 23rd, 2007 08:50 PM

Getting a taxi when disembarking?

Sailing on the Triumph July 7-14, from Miami. Flying to/from Miami airport from Toronto. TA suggested pre-booking return transportation at the port so we don't have to fight for a cab at disembarkation. Told us its $9/head. We have a family of five so that's $45. A taxi would be a bit cheaper. I have read $24 on this site. Our flight is 1:40pm and it is international, so would like to be at the airport by 11:30 am. Plan to self assist disembark.

A few questions:

1) Are taxis hard to get at disembarkation?
2) Can we even fit five people (+ five suitcases) in a taxi?
3) Would you recommend pre-arranging transportation, given our situation?
4) Are the above costs accurate?

Thanks in advance for any information/advice you can share! :)

peery4 March 24th, 2007 12:58 PM

We have sailed for Miami 3 times and each time we were able to ride 4 with luggage with minimal problem. One time we had a little trouble fitting our luggage in but the taxi driver had bungee cords so he managed.

AKcruiser March 24th, 2007 01:44 PM

There are some van taxis that should hold 5. They aren't as plentiful as regular cabs, but you should be able to get one. Everyone wants them cuz there is more room. Last year we saw one coming and waved at him before he even got up to the loading area and he montioned for us to come get in as soon as he got near. The transfer from Carnival to the airport is 15pp.

I hope this helps,

AKcruiser

dz63 March 24th, 2007 10:28 PM

Is it to get a minivan taxi at disembarkation at Miami. How much?

AKcruiser March 25th, 2007 02:53 PM

I believe it's the same price as a regular taxi about $30 with tip

AKcruiser

dz63 March 27th, 2007 11:03 PM

What is a reasonable tip for the taxi driver?

AKcruiser March 28th, 2007 01:45 AM

It depends of how many people and luggage in my opinion. We usually tip about $5 for the 2 of us for 4 or more we would tip $10 .

AKcruiser

dz63 March 30th, 2007 12:50 PM

thx AK! :)

AKcruiser March 30th, 2007 11:49 PM

my pleasure...we will be going April 22, so should have more accurate rates then.

AKcruiser

Mike M March 30th, 2007 11:58 PM

Carnival transfers will be $15 per/person, $75 total. 2 taxis will be around $60 including tip. I would do the taxi. They are plentiful at the pier. Grab a porter and have the porters grab one for you. It makes things much easier.

If you can get a van taxi then the cost would be less.

If you use a taxi you will avoid the hassle of waiting for the bus to fill and also the rush at the airport as all the people unload their luggage. Also, with a taxi it is easier to use curbside check-in.

Take care,
Mike

VladCruiser March 31st, 2007 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M
Also, with a taxi it is easier to use curbside check-in.

I thought one of the security measures implemented was to do away with curbside check-in? Are they now allowing this?

Sorry if this sounds kinda ignorant, but I've been away from home (NJ) for a few years. However as you can see below, I'll be around for a visit soon. :)

Mike M March 31st, 2007 09:33 AM

Yes: Curbside check-in is once again available for most major airlines.

Take care,
Mike

tbanana April 5th, 2007 11:45 PM

How would I get to the airport once I disembarked? Should I rent a car or take a taxi? How much for 3 people? Thanks 8)