Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default universal studios - which port is close to orlando?

I'm thinking of doing a combo universal studios for a few days then head on over to do a short (real short. 3 day cruise somewhere - anywhere - lol. Only have 7 days - so limited in time. Which port is close to orlando -- or should I say how far away is the port from orlando universal studios? Can you catch a transfer from there or any suggestions??? I think the sensation travels from that area on a 3 nighter.
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Passenger

Port Canaveral is the closest port to Orlando. I never drove from orlando to there but I want to say it's about 40 min away but Im not exactly sure but I do know it is the closest port to Orlando. I noticed that you have been on the Glory How was it? I am going on it next month and it is our first cruise.

Keri

Add Your Caribbean Trip Review
Old March 26th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Admiral

You will LOVE the Glory! Can't say one bad thing about it...then again...I can't say one bad thing about any cruise I have been on. :-)
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Admiral

At least Port Canaveral is closer than Miami or Ft. Lauderdale or even Key West

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Admiral

the port of tampa is not tooo far from Orlando about 1 hour and 15 - 30 minutes away and Carnival has the INspiration sailing short 4 day cruises.
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Wow...really? I love the inspiration!! This would just be a teaser cruise actually -- as I want to take hubby to universal studios and to make the week - hope on a ship for a day or two -- or three. And...truthfully, unfortunately carnival doesn't acknowledge the fact that the LENGTH of cruises should coundt instead of the DAYS for platinium status. If we went on this little 3 dayer -- that would be our 9th and would make the next big one to mexician riveria our platinium. Unfortunately, they also don't count cruises before certain dates (otherwise I would be platinium already). Anyway...thanks for the info! Will consider that too!!!
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Yes they have two iteniaries for the INspiration; last time I checked they had the longer 5 day (off the boat on the 5th day) and I think the run another one where you depart on the 4th day.

re: Universal Studios. I know this may shock you, but if you are a big fan of the Back to the Future ride - it will be open only through March 30th of this year!!!!!!! I just found out Sat so I am trying to get up there for one last ride - IMHO they should have taken out Jaws or the Earthquake and not Back to the Future, I haven't found out what is replacing it and when the replacement will be opened; but it probably won't be replaced by end of year.
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Admiral

I only went to universal once - and that was a few weeks ago when I went for an AORN conference. They had blocked off a portion of the park for us. The only rides I went on was Tornado (my hubby is a huge tornado twister movie...whatever the name of it is). Went on Mummy (AWESOME!) and went on earthquake (waste of time). Other than that...I have no clue. Just thought it would be nice for him to see. And..I figured in Jan it can't be to crowded??? Is it worth spending a whole 2 days at? You sound like you have been before. If you have...can you email me off line (don't want to burn bridges here on the board). You can email me -- BHSrulz@aol.com Thanks..
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
I only went to universal once - and that was a few weeks ago when I went for an AORN conference. They had blocked off a portion of the park for us. The only rides I went on was Tornado (my hubby is a huge tornado twister movie...whatever the name of it is). Went on Mummy (AWESOME!) and went on earthquake (waste of time). Other than that...I have no clue. Just thought it would be nice for him to see. And..I figured in Jan it can't be to crowded??? Is it worth spending a whole 2 days at? You sound like you have been before. If you have...can you email me off line (don't want to burn bridges here on the board). You can email me -- BHSrulz@aol.com Thanks..
I can easily spend two days. One at Island of adventure and one at Universal.

Brian

Sensation
Old March 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Admiral

the great thing now is you can get the hopper pass; you can get a two day pass for just a few dollars more than a whole day pass; the hopper pass lets you go to both parks on the same day. we were going to do that this weekend, but WORK got in the way.

I enjoy going for 2 days cause I don't feel like I have to cram 14 rides on the Hulk all at once, I can space it out......
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylroy
And...truthfully, unfortunately carnival doesn't acknowledge the fact that the LENGTH of cruises should coundt instead of the DAYS for platinium status.
I totally agree!! All but the first two of my cruises prior to becoming Platinum were 7-12 days. It took me longer and much more $$ to the people who took 9 three day cruises to become Platinum. Now that we are Platinum, that leaves us nothing else to strive for. I think Carnival should switch to the number of nights on a ship, but those who have already made Platinum will be grandfathered in and remain Platinum. Adding more levels would also be a good idea. Something like Platinum at 70 nights, then levels of Platinum at like 105, 140, 175, etc... That way it takes 10 seven nights to make Platinum (or lots of short cruises or fewer longer cruises), then the next levels require 5 more 7 nighters (or combination of shorts or a couple of 14-16 nighters) to reach, and so on...

Just my two cents.

Jodi
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Jodi -- I couldn't agree more!!!!!! And....how about (seriously now) adding a 3 day cruise/4 day/5 day, etc...after say...20 cruises with carnival? Why won't they listen to us!

And........universal studios -------- is it worth it? How long are the lines? I am to old to be standing in lines for hours on end! .........but i did love the Mummy ride!!!
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Universal offers express passes for an extra cost per day, but it means you get to use the express lines at all the rides that have them - all day long, as many times as you want. I got them once with friends and the longest wait we had at any ride was about 15 minutes. I don't remember how much they were, as I am a season pass holder and my friend bought it for his family and bought me one too so I would go with them. However I do remember thinking that it was well worth the cost for the time and frustration it saves.

Jodi
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Admiral

CherylRoy, Yes! Universal Studios is worth the price. We went in '99 and the first amusement we experienced was the Terminator 3-D. That made the trip all in itself.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk
CherylRoy, Yes! Universal Studios is worth the price. We went in '99 and the first amusement we experienced was the Terminator 3-D. That made the trip all in itself.
well worth the price, look on the website for the specials and express pass deals. It is worth it just to see the MUMMY again IMHO; that is my favorite at the Studios and Hulk is my favorite at the Islands, however, been wanting to ride the darn Dr Suess thing and it is always broke when I am there . little too old for it anyhows.

re: Carnival loyalty program is a joke. I am not loyal to Carnival or Royal Carribbean; their's isn't much better, just whatever has the best deal, iteniary etc for the time I want to sail. They should customize the loyalty program for each guest and not base it out over the masses, but that is a whole other gripe.
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat