Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Passenger

Default Nextel Service While Onboard??

My husband and I are going on the Legend this summer, but we are leaving our son with grandparents, so I will need to call and check in everyday, does anyone know if Mexico /Belize/Grand Cayman Islands have Nextel service. Last cruise we had to call from the ship, a very large bill, and I don't want to repeat that. Also, can you use your Nextel while onboard??Any info. would be great.

Carnival Legend 07-07
Carnival Sensation 07-06
The Big Red Boat 01-96
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM
First Mate

My Nextel hasn't worked on any cruise I've been on yet. If you really need to call, check with your phone store and see if you need a different phone or chip so you can call internationally.

Celebration 2/96
Imagination 2/97
Fascination 12/97
Imagination 3/99
Spirit 11/01
Sensation 1/02
Pride 11/02
Voyager of the Seas 5/03
Conquest 10/04
Conquest 10/29/06
Inspiration 11/08
Celebrity Solstice 2/09
Oasis of the Seas 10/16/10
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

According to the information at http://www.cellularatsea.com/index.htm, NexTel phones do not work. I found that information by clicking on For End Users and then Sprint. Hope this is helpful.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Admiral

I have Nextel...I didn't think it worked anywhere. Actually it works best when it is turned off. This way you can't get frustrated when your call gets dropped or direct connect doesn't go through.

New Nextel slogan: "NEXTEL, YOUR SOURCE FOR NO SERVICE" 8)

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Passenger

Default Nextel

Very true about Nextel, thanks for the info and website link.

Carnival Legend 07-07
Carnival Sensation 07-06
The Big Red Boat 01-96
Old March 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Can I ask why you have to call every single day? Wouldnt it be alright to just give them the info on your boat and tell them to call you at sea if there happens to be an emergency and then you can call them with a calling card when you get into port.

Its not like they wont be able to get ahold of you if they HAVE to. Just trying to give you some cheaper options. There really is no need to spend that extra money if you dont have to.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old March 30th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

I would suggest buying one of those "Pay for the minutes up front" phones. The type you can reload.. I think those will work but check with the carrier 1st......... Much cheaper than using the cabin phone.
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:37 PM
Yeoman

I took my work phone (nextel) on the Inspiration a few weeks ago and I didn't get service at all.
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

On my western Caribbean cruise in Feb I had no service with my Nextel
till I got to Cozumel. My 2-way worked but thats it. I was able to check in with a neighbor at home to see how my house was. (25 below zero at home and was worried about frozen pipes)

A friend of mine had Cingular and had "Cingular at Sea" service the whole time. I am about to change to Cingular!
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

FAHGHETTTTT About itttttttttttttt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Read and post cruise reviews

Carnival Freedom May 2010
Carnival Liberty January 2009
Carnival Freedom April 2008
Carnival Glory April 2007
Carnival Miracle March 2006
Carnival Glory April 2005
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
Passenger

Default Calling everyday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvlgirl
Can I ask why you have to call every single day? Wouldnt it be alright to just give them the info on your boat and tell them to call you at sea if there happens to be an emergency and then you can call them with a calling card when you get into port.

Its not like they wont be able to get ahold of you if they HAVE to. Just trying to give you some cheaper options. There really is no need to spend that extra money if you dont have to.
**I really don't have to call home everyday, but as a MOM of a 4 year old boy it would make my husband and I feel a little more relaxed to know that all is well back home. If you have kids you understand my thinking, but if you don't have kids, just have one and you will understand. It doesn't matter where you go, the safety of your child will always be on your heart and mind. I am just being a concerned mom. Thanks for the info.

Carnival Legend 07-07
Carnival Sensation 07-06
The Big Red Boat 01-96
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:38 AM
Passenger

Default Nextel-thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter1602
till I got to Cozumel. My 2-way worked but thats it. I was able to check in with a neighbor at home to see how my house was. (25 below zero at home and was worried about frozen pipes)

A friend of mine had Cingular and had "Cingular at Sea" service the whole time. I am about to change to Cingular!
Thanks for the info. as long as I can use my 2-way I can call back home, and we are going to Cozumel so I should have luck in using it. I really appreicate the info. I will also check on "Cingular at Sea" , and again thanks.

Carnival Legend 07-07
Carnival Sensation 07-06
The Big Red Boat 01-96
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Nextel-thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter1602

Thanks for the info. as long as I can use my 2-way I can call back home, and we are going to Cozumel so I should have luck in using it. I really appreicate the info. I will also check on "Cingular at Sea" , and again thanks.
Having the two way helped a lot in Cozumel since my GF and I took an early tender, but wanted to meet up with a good part of the group of 40 we sailed with. we were able to 2-way with the rest of the group and succesfully meet up. I really wish there was a way to put Nextel comunication on the ships so the 2-way at least was an option the whole time. This would open comunication from home, and between people you are sailing with.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Sprint assures me that my Sprint phone will work since I have International calling. My DH has Nextel and he won't have service. Makes no sense...it's the same company now.

Good Luck with your Nextel. Be sure to call your baby boy...he will need to hear his Mommy's voice since you will be gone a while! He might cry but grandmother can fix that with some candy or cookies! I know, I have two adorable grandchildren myself! When their Mom calls, it seems like I have different children at the house.....one minute they are happy as clams and then they hear Mommy and the tears flow!

I keep a good supply of ice cream, cookies and candy. If that doesn't work...then we are off to WalMart to buy a toy! Works every time!

Later,
Melody

PS My children weren't treated this well! They remind me of it constantly!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Aimee - I understand the need that you have. I didnt realize he is 4yrs old which does make a difference. I dont have children but that doesnt mean I am not sensitive to your needs as a MOM.[/quote]

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Passenger

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstill
Sprint assures me that my Sprint phone will work since I have International calling. My DH has Nextel and he won't have service. Makes no sense...it's the same company now.

Good Luck with your Nextel. Be sure to call your baby boy...he will need to hear his Mommy's voice since you will be gone a while! He might cry but grandmother can fix that with some candy or cookies! I know, I have two adorable grandchildren myself! When their Mom calls, it seems like I have different children at the house.....one minute they are happy as clams and then they hear Mommy and the tears flow!

I keep a good supply of ice cream, cookies and candy. If that doesn't work...then we are off to WalMart to buy a toy! Works every time!

Later,
Melody

PS My children weren't treated this well! They remind me of it constantly!
**You sound just like my parents they spoil our son, he loves to stay with them and if he gets grumpy, off to Wal-Mart or for a ride on the tractor. He is the only grand-baby so he is really spoiled. My DH and I are traveling with my brother and sister-in law for 7 days on the Legend in July. Hopefully we can have peace of mind knowing that our son is in good care. We have never traveled without him, hopefully we can make it, you can bet on the last few days I will be ready for home and my baby.
Someone told me somthing true, "Nextel is best when it is turned off"
Thanks for the info.

Carnival Legend 07-07
Carnival Sensation 07-06
The Big Red Boat 01-96
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

Aimee,

Grandparents enjoy being the hero for their grandchildren! An amazing coincidence...my daughter's name is Amy!

Oh, I have a card on my desk from my grandchildren.

TOP TEN REASONS KIDS NEED A GRANDMOTHER!

10. Who else would even think of boasting about you to total strangers?

9. Mom's don't always respond positively to "Can I have that? Can I? Can I?"

8. "Over the river and through the woods to Cousin Sue's house we go" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

7. No one else's place is more fun to visit.

6. Neat stories about the old days without that pesky "reading a history book" thing.

5. Who hugs better?

4. A grandmother always knows when to put down what she's doing and just listen.

3. Who else always makes sure to have your favorite treat on hand?

2. Moms and dads tend not to tell embarrassing stories about themselves.

AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY KIDS NEED A GRANDMOTHER......

1. HOW ELSE WOULD WE UNDERSTAND WHAT UNCONDITIONAL LOVE IS?

So, I think, as grandparents, we are more than happy to leave the parenting to the parents (I've done enough of that!). We also know that we should do all the things we would never have done with our own children.....like having cookies and ice cream for dinner!

My grandchildren tell me I am the best MawMaw in the whole world!

I like that feeling!

Later,
Melody
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Passenger

Default Grand-Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstill
Aimee,

Grandparents enjoy being the hero for their grandchildren! An amazing coincidence...my daughter's name is Amy!

Oh, I have a card on my desk from my grandchildren.

TOP TEN REASONS KIDS NEED A GRANDMOTHER!

10. Who else would even think of boasting about you to total strangers?

9. Mom's don't always respond positively to "Can I have that? Can I? Can I?"

8. "Over the river and through the woods to Cousin Sue's house we go" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

7. No one else's place is more fun to visit.

6. Neat stories about the old days without that pesky "reading a history book" thing.

5. Who hugs better?

4. A grandmother always knows when to put down what she's doing and just listen.

3. Who else always makes sure to have your favorite treat on hand?

2. Moms and dads tend not to tell embarrassing stories about themselves.

AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON WHY KIDS NEED A GRANDMOTHER......

1. HOW ELSE WOULD WE UNDERSTAND WHAT UNCONDITIONAL LOVE IS?

So, I think, as grandparents, we are more than happy to leave the parenting to the parents (I've done enough of that!). We also know that we should do all the things we would never have done with our own children.....like having cookies and ice cream for dinner!

My grandchildren tell me I am the best MawMaw in the whole world!

I like that feeling!

Later,
Melody
I just love that poem, I will have to print and give to my mom. My son calls her Grand-Mommy. Her birthday is this week I will put with her card.

Thanks again!
Aimee

Carnival Legend 07-07
Carnival Sensation 07-06
The Big Red Boat 01-96