Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to candipinki Send a message via Yahoo to candipinki
Default Laptop or DVD player?

I need some help weighing the pros and cons of Laptop vs DVD player. I think that I only want to take one but which one? (Knowing me, I might end up taking both)

I am flying down to Texas to stay with my family, then we are driving up to Galveston to go on the Conquest. After the cruise, I will stay with my family for another few days and then I'm flying back to VA. All I need is a train trip somewhere and I will have covered all forms of transportation!

The Facts - The laptop is heavy and has a wireless card. The DVD player is much smaller and lighter but not light as a feather or anything. Of course, the laptop is worth more.

On the plane ride, the laptop is huge for the small space you have in coach. I haven't figured out the brightness control yet and it tend to catch much mroe glare than the DVD player. It also runs out of battery quicker by about a half or hour.

I will be spending about four days at my parents house where they have a wireless router. Last time, it was GREAT having my laptop anywhere in the house and I am somewhat internet addicted. But is it worth it for four days? I can use my parents slow, old computer to get on the internet so it's not like I'll be completely without.

In the car, I will use it on the way up but I'm sure I'll be sleeping on the way back after partying all night. I don't want to leave either in the parked car because of the Texas heat.

That means I will be taking it on the ship with me. I only used the internet once on my first cruise and I thought it was too much money for not enough benefit. I don't think I would be using my laptop to get on the internet on board although I have to admit, it would be nice to have the ability to look up something last minute about a port or something.

So what do y'all think? Are there any other pros or cons that I'm not considering? Which would you take? Would you lug both with you?
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you need to take one of them I would just take the small DVD player!
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:28 PM
Passenger

I'm definately taking at least one. Nothing makes the long flights and waits in the airport go by faster than a good movie.
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:20 AM
First Mate

Here's what I would do. Since you're not just going on the cruise, I think you should take both.

I just recently bought a new laptop case with wheels at Circuit City. It's made by Kensington and it was on sale for $50 (normally $100). I love this case!

It has so much room and nooks/crannies that you can fit practically anything in it. It rolls easy, you won't break your back, and as a plus, it fits nicely under the airline seat.

I just got back from a week in Virginia. I packed my laptop, DVD player, lots of DVD movies, PDA, Cell Phone, Digital Camera, remote to DVD player, IPod, all associated power cords and chargers, a high-end set of headphones, and a host of other things. On the way back home, I added pictures, stuff I picked up in Virgina and I still had room for more.

Good luck!

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old April 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
First Mate

I am not even going to connect to the Internet while on my cruise, but will take my laptop just to write down my experiences and to off load my pictures.

My pictures are pricesless to me. Never again will I be able to recreate them.

I don't want to put all of my trust into a $30 memory card. Each night I wil back them up to my laptop so that they are in two places.

Brian

Sensation
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I take my lap Top for the Cruise I had time it would also play movies. I also use it to record what is going on the ship.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM
First Mate

Laptop, definitely. Mine has a DVD drive so I'm good there for movies. I also use it to collect and tweak my pictures, and write about the cruise for my web site.

All ports I've been to have internet cafes handy, and you can hook up your own laptop for maybe $4 per hour.

You're right about the size and weight thing...I carried my 15" laptop around Europe for two weeks and it was too big and heavy. My current plan is to get a new laptop with a 12" screen that weighs a lot less than my old one.
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Passenger

Default Wow, great advice ya'll!!!

That is so true about backing up the pictures! I never thought of that. Plus, then I would have easy access to all my full size pictures. And when I'm stuck in the room waiting for whatever, I can take that time to write about the cruise so far. I plan on traveling through Europe with a laptop but I am going to buy a cheap, small, very light one for that.

I'm not sure why I would need to get on the internet at an internet cafe in port. What do you do on the internet in port? Is it just to check e-mail or maybe to check in with work?

Thanks again for all the thoughtful responses!
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Laptop for sure if you are only going to take one. I downloaded pictures, and even burned discs for people in our group. I was able to have not only pictures I took available, but pictures other people took of things I missed, or from a different perspective.

Even though I never used it for internet access, or to watch any DVD's the laptop was great to have along for handling pictures. just that was worth it.
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Admiral

DVD player for sure. Taking a laptop would be too much like being at work! That's why I cruise,,,to get away from computers, pagers, and phones!
Have a great cruise!

Ken
Old April 6th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster
DVD player for sure. Taking a laptop would be too much like being at work! That's why I cruise,,,to get away from computers, pagers, and phones!
Have a great cruise!

Ken
Oh but I'm addicted to computers. I spend all day on my computer at work and I check my computer at least once at home. And I check it in the morning. And I go home for lunch and play on my computer.

That's a great idea about getting other people's photos too! I'll take the card/USB adaptor so that I can plug it into my laptop.
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:17 AM
First Mate

What do I use an Internet Cafe for? Lots of things. I get a lot of email, so definitely that. I don't get much news on a cruise, so its good to hit a few news site just in case the world exploded while I'm away. I have a webcam in my home office, so I check that occasionally to make sure no one has broken in and stolen that computer.

On this last cruise, we also checked out the gallery sites of several artists whose work we were contemplating purchase of.

And being a geek, I gotta have my daily Slashdot and Digg fixes!