Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Passenger

Default RUMOR; SHIP HOLIDAY TO BE DECOMMISSIONED

This rumor did come from a good source. Till Carnival announces it, I will call it a "rumor".

Carnival is planing to announce they are selling the Holiday later THIS year. It will be replaced with another Carnival Ship. I was told the name, but I don't remember. It was not one of their new ships. It was just a class above the Holiday. They are hoping to have ALL this done by the end of 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We hope this pans out. We are only 45min. to Mobile! We only cruise the Holiday because its so near. We have really enjoyed the Holiday and will hate to see it go. But, I would like to see one with better stabilizers etc. !

Any way, if anyone hears any thing else about this, please post it.
Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Passenger

Speaking of Holiday......I will be going on my first cruise in July and it will be aboard Holiday. Any tips you can give me or anything I need to know?? I'm worried to death about getting seasick b/c I've never been, lol ......I would greatly appreciate any comments Thanks!!
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggG
Speaking of Holiday......I will be going on my first cruise in July and it will be aboard Holiday. Any tips you can give me or anything I need to know?? I'm worried to death about getting seasick b/c I've never been, lol ......I would greatly appreciate any comments Thanks!!
We never had any trouble with sea sickness on the Holiday. I do get sea sick very easy!
I posted this last week, maybe it will help. Also, check out the "Practical Advice" thread about sea sickness. There is a lot of advice there.

"We walk up to the Wal-mart Pharmacy window and ask for their Generic Brand Bonine. You have to ask the Pharmacist and they only have it behind the counter. You get 100 tablets for around $10.00!!!!! (Better then paying $6-8 for 10 - 20 tablets!) There is the Wal-mart brand out on the shelf, but it still cost more then what is behind the counter.

Bonine is one of the Brand Names for the drug Meclizine Hydrochloride. With Meclizine, you don't get AS drowsy as the "other" stuff.

How much fun you have on a ship has little to do with it's size. It's all up to you! The only draw back on the Holiday is you do feel the motion if you hit a little bad weather. The Holiday does not have the advanced stabilizers like the new ships. The Gulf of Mexico is calm unless you hit a bad weather. We have been lucky and have had VERY calm water going and coming.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 03:13 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info.....I'll be sure to head to walmart before I go
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

It is a very old ship, 22 years. I sailed on it in 1991 and I did have an awesome time. I had cabin U217, which was an upper/lower cabin where all of the single share passengers got. I had the cabinmate from hell, but I did have one heck of a good time on the ship.

I think they should get rid of Holiday and Celebration and move one of the Fantasy class ships to the routes those two ships did.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Passenger

We have heard the rumors in Montgomery also, we have been on Holiday twice and really enjoyed both cruises. We have never had a problem with the ship the small size makes it really easy to get around.
It will be nice to get a Fantasy class ship in Mobile, just to have something different. We have been on two Fantasy class ships and really enjoyed them. It will be sad to see Holiday go because it was our first cruise, but change is always nice.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:33 AM
Admiral

Don't include the Celebration! She's a great ship

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Passenger

My cruise last year was on the Holiday. I think the crew easily made up for the ships size and age. I hate to hear this.....

Caribbean Hotels & Resorts

2006 Carnival Holiday
2007 Carnival Legend
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AANR
"We walk up to the Wal-mart Pharmacy window and ask for their Generic Brand Bonine. You have to ask the Pharmacist and they only have it behind the counter. You get 100 tablets for around $10.00!!!!! (Better then paying $6-8 for 10 - 20 tablets!) There is the Wal-mart brand out on the shelf, but it still cost more then what is behind the counter.
Don't you have to have a prescription for the generics?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Captain

We were on the Holiday in October. We were told then by one of the crew members that the ship was being sold and going somewhere in Europe. We loved the Holiday and the crew. I am so glad we got to cruise on her!!!

Libragirl from Texas
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:04 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to DPMinc

I just spoke to a CCL Rep, and it is true, the Holiday will be leaving Mobile and replaced by a Fantasy Class ship at the end of this year. There is a problem about bringing a ship larger than a Fantasy-class in Mobile, due to the ship not being able to turn around at the port.

Paul
Norwegian Dream, Sun, Spirit
Royal Caribbean Grandeur/Sea
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:20 AM
First Mate

The Holiday has had a glorious run and im sure it will be left in good hands. The people in Mobile will now have a new ship to look forward to!
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Admiral

I will only be a matter of time before some of these older/smaller ships are sold off. As for Mobile, I think the change will only help. 1,452 double occupancy on Holiday versus 2,040 on a Fanasy class. It's that many more tickets to Bellingrath Gardens, and a few hundred more hotel rooms. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
Quote:
Don't you have to have a prescription for the generics?
No, you do not have to have a prescription.! It is the generic of what is out on the counter. I can only guess, the reason they have this one behind the counter is that it's cheaper then Wal-marts generic brand!

Carnival Ship Holiday April, 2008
Carnival Ship Holiday April, 2007
Carnival Ship Holiday May 2006
Carnival Ship Holiday May 2005
Old April 4th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPMinc
I just spoke to a CCL Rep, and it is true, the Holiday will be leaving Mobile and replaced by a Fantasy Class ship at the end of this year. There is a problem about bringing a ship larger than a Fantasy-class in Mobile, due to the ship not being able to turn around at the port.

Paul
It is true, the port / canal is too narrow for anything larger to turn around.

There was a plan in place, pre hurricane Katrena, to move a ship from New Orleans to Mobile. Both ships ended up being used as F.E.M.A. shelters. I guess the plan got some new life in it when the city of Mobile started talking to Royal Caribbean about bring in a ship! ummmmm??

We too love the Holiday, sailing on her for the third time April 14th of this year. BUT, we are glad they are bringing in a little bigger ship. We will book on the new ship ASAP!!

Old April 4th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
No, you do not have to have a prescription.! It is the generic of what is out on the counter. I can only guess, the reason they have this one behind the counter is that it's cheaper then Wal-marts generic brand!
!! I would bet you are 100% correct
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Passenger

Default Re: RUMOR; SHIP HOLIDAY TO BE DECOMMISSIONED

Quote:
This rumor did come from a good source. Till Carnival announces it, I will call it a "rumor".
Well I guess the cat is out of the bag. Here is a link to what was in the Mobile, AL news paper today, 4/09/2007.

http://www.al.com/news/press-registe...l=3&thispage=4

Old April 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Quote:
Well I guess the cat is out of the bag. Here is a link to what was in the Mobile, AL news paper today, 4/09/2007.

Interesting article - would be great if that happens - but is still in the works and not a definitive move, if I read this correctly.

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5/98
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1/02
CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Lee

Interesting article - would be great if that happens - but is still in the works and not a definitive move, if I read this correctly.[/quote]

I feel another one is coming. They are trying to decide if they want to keep the Holiday there as well as the new ship. Either way, we are getting a Fantasy class ship in Mobile.

I think the reason they would want to keep the Holiday, as well as another ship in port, would be to keep Royal Caribbean out!

Old April 10th, 2007, 03:06 AM
First Mate

The Sensation moves to Mobile in the fall of 2008 and Port Canaveral hopefully gets a larger Spirit class ship to replace the Sensation.

So after the Holiday is gone, the Sensation moves from the 4th oldest Carnival ship to the 3rd.... (only the Celebration and Fantasy in her way now )

Bill
Sept. 18, 2010 -
Sept. 19, 2009 -
Inspiration - Jan. 10, 2010- Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Freedom - February 8th, 2009 - Key West, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamaica
Glory - September 8th, 2007 - Key West, Cozumel, Progresso, Nassau
Sensation - Freepor-Nassau
Jan. 28th, 2007 -
Sept. 10th, 2006 -
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:43 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguppies
The Sensation moves to Mobile in the fall of 2008 and Port Canaveral hopefully gets a larger Spirit class ship to replace the Sensation.

So after the Holiday is gone, the Sensation moves from the 4th oldest Carnival ship to the 3rd.... (only the Celebration and Fantasy in her way now )

Bill
HMMM im sailing on the Sensation this June. Has the time gone by this quickly. Wow she is that old. I liked the Inspiration but thought the Imagination looked dated. Will i like Sensation?
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Correction.....

Holiday
Celebration
Fantasy
Ectasy
Sensation

5th oldest now....4th oldest after Holiday goes

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM
First Mate

perhaps they can dock the Holiday in New Orleans to provide housing for those displaced by Katrina that still don't have a place to live. Or, to house those working to re-build.
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Passenger

Wow! I hadnt heard that they are replacing the Holiday. We sailed on her last May and had a great time. However, we had ROUGH weather the 1st night with winds at 40 knots and we were really scared!! We had never been on a ship with that kind of motion. We will definitly go back and sail from Mobile when the new ship comes there, we loved the Mexican Riviera.