Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
Passenger

Default Park West at Sea

Anybody had any experience with them?
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I have not, personally, but have read many things good and bad. I always read to be careful of the add on price for matting, and delivery.

Good Luck
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:07 PM
Yeoman

Yes the delivery price will kill you. We were very interested in a couple pieces but decided with delivery they were to much. Carla
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

We purchased several works from Park West,we are satisfied.Buy what you like and want to have in your home.We have yet to lose money on our art.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
First Mate

We have bought from Park West on several cruises - they serve most of the ships except for Princess, who does their own. We also attended a Park West auction at a local convention center.

Prices are certainly cheaper than you'll find at a gallery, because most galleries tend to be in the high-rent areas. It helps to know what you like in advance, then you know what to ask for. Go to the first auction, listen and look, then research the artists you like on the ship's internet.

You might find deals, like a Jim Warren painting (1 of 250) for $550 that sells in the Wyland galleries for $2,750. Of course, what I like in art probably won't match what you like in art, but fortunately they tend to have a fairly large selection. If you go early to preview the art before that first auction, talk with the auctioneer about any piece you're interested in to find out the opening bid price.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I have purchased about 6 items from Park West. There is a 15% auction fee, then the shipping is $35 up to 5 pieces. You also have the option for them to include the appraisal - do that, since in order to have them insured, your insurance company will require it. I have purchased an appraised amount of $4650 for about $1000. If you want, they will have it framed for you, which is comparable to what it costs once home, so if you don't want the hassel of taking it to a framer to be done, have PW do it.

Jodi
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
First Mate

I have purchased many pieces thru them and am completely satisfied. I have mine framed at home because I have alot of latitude in selecting the frames and mattes. Choise what you like and almost always accept the blind auction item, they are usually offered at a great savings, and if you don't like it you can refuse it at the end of the auction.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Admiral

We have bought several items (over 10) also and have not been disappointed at all. Some came framed and others we had done ourselves. Delivery is very reasonable, about $35 - $50 for the first 5 pieces. Always bid on a Mystery piece because it is a special price and if you don't love it, no problems, you don't have to buy it. We won a beautiful Schaefer Miles in a raffle and it appraises for over $500. Also, put all your purchases on their credit card. They offer no interest for 18 months and you don't claim them on your duty free purchases. Some of our purchases have been gifts and eveyone just loved them.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Passenger

My brother in Law bought 3 Petex Max and one Romero Britto works but we cannot find them anywhere on the internet. He told me he is having buyer's remorse about them. I was with him at the auction but did no buy anything although very tempted. Do you get good deals on the Peter Max stuff. has anybody heard of Britto?
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Admiral

We have bought three pieces of art through them and recieved three pieces free. I have always liked Kincade and have visited his galleries in person and shopped online. The pieces I have looked at were 48x36 and were in the $1100-1500 price range at the galleries, and that was unframed. I have been looking for years and when I saw the same size pieces on the Carnival Ecstasy, I had to sit in the auction and bid. I was able to purchase three of the art works I had dreamt of having for under $900.00 TOTAL!! Each piece was authenticated by an appraiser after I received them and they are the real deal! So, I saved over $2500.00 on the auction.

Count me satisfied!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Default Romero Britto

pabrady13,
I just "googled" Romero Britto and over 200,000 hits came up. Interesting art.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old April 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
First Mate

The _smallest_ Peter Maxs tend to run at least $1,300, with the larger ones going for $20,000 or more (that's on a ship - figure gallery prices at least double that and maybe triple). My wife got me one on her Disney cruise.

The neat thing about Max's work is that each one is unique...even if it's "1 of 500", he always adds something to each one when he signs it.

He's about 70 years old now, so anything of his you buy will probably go up considerably when he eventually passes on.
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Passenger

So do you think the Peter Max art work is worth the money. Again I am not an art expert...although I would like to start collecting something.
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via Yahoo to karessamom

ON our first cruise (carnival conquest) we purchased 2 art peices and got some free. We've been really happy. In Sept. on RCCL (Monarch) we purchased once again (another Tom? Collins and finally a Kincaid for me!
We love them (we did our own framing (thru Michaels--which was a lot less expensive because we wait until they have the 50%-70% off sales on framing) we have been very happy. we noticed people at the auctions who literally spend thousands of $$$ on artwork. we really aren't collectors other than we buy because we LIKE something and it fits in our decor. There have been other posts about them being big rip offs etc. but I truely beleive if you see somthing you like within in the price range that you're willing to pay you're probably going to do ok. If you're buying just because it's art and for a collection where you expect the value to appreciate then you'd probably be wise to be cautious. JMO
Old April 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabrady13
So do you think the Peter Max art work is worth the money. Again I am not an art expert...although I would like to start collecting something.
I certainly think his work is high on the "desirability" list, regardless of what kind of investment potential may exist. Then again, I'm an old hippy who remembers his work from the 60's.

There's a very renown artist named Alexandra Nechita...when she was 11 her paintings were going for over $10,000 each. She is hailed as the greatest painter since Picasso. I think the investment potential there is huge, but her style just doesn't appeal to me (like Picasso's doesn't either). But someday I may buy one of her works just because.

Other artists, like the seascapes of Wyland or Warren, the whimsical "Don't Drink and Draw" series by Godard, or animation cells, actually move me and I'll definitely acquire them as I can.
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Passenger

I agree with the last two posts. I really like Romero Britto. Check him out his workuses very vibrant colors. I also just want to get stuff that I really like. We have three Kincards and are ready for the next step...only as you said if it fits our decor.
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:22 AM
Beginner

Default We loved our Park West Experience

We just finished up a 7 Day cruise on Carnival Conquest. We absolutely loved the Park West Auctions. We listened closely. The auctioneer gave you all the information you needed. I know some may have not paid attention. I've been collecting for over 20 years. Just remember to buy what you like and like what you buy. We picked up 11 pieces for under $2000. We didn't pay for framing because we don't have anywhere to hang the pieces (about to move). The prices were very reasonable. I have researched all the painters of the Serigraphs we picked up (Tarkay, Medvedev, Krasnyansky etc.) they are all legit and we paid considerably less than what these artworks are going for at other auction houses or on the internet. Pay attention at the auction and you can pick up great deals. Remember, it is an auction. You set the price. If the bid goes up beyond what you think the item is worth, don't bid. Have a spending limit (not necessarily the $15K limit on the card they will issue you but rather what your bank account can handle) and stick to it. And, yes we did enjoy the free champagne.
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Just remember, folks, to buy art that you want to look at. Regardless of appraisals, it is nearly impossible to resell art. Unless you're talking huge bucks, like owning a Rembrandt original or something. Then, you can sell it through an auction house.
Re. elderly artists, the values don't really start to go up until 100 years after their death. Fine if you are buying them as a legacy for grandchildren, not a good investment for any person's lifetime.
That said, I have bought from Park West and am happy with what I bought. You can save a bundle compared to buying from a gallery, but do your research first. When I went to frame one of the more expensive pieces that I bought , there was a young lady getting ready to frame the identical print. We compared prices, since she bought hers in a gallery. We had paid exactly the same amount! Of course, mine also serves as a souvenir of my cruise, but otherwise....not such a bargain.
And on this subject, please do take my word for it...or do some heavy research. I am an artist and know a lot of professional artists, a few being current big names. Buy what you like at a price that you are good with, but don't buy it as an investment! True for cruise auctions, or any other place you may find art for sale.
Marty
Old June 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Admiral

Went to one auction on the Destiny earlier this year. Prices seemed decent and they had a pretty good variety.

I think a lot of the fun of the auction depends on the auctioneer. We had a great auctioneer on the Glory a few years back - from the old Princess set up. Was not as impressed with our PW auctioneer on Destiny.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old June 1st, 2008, 11:29 PM
Beginner

We loved the auctions! My husband and I love art and there is nothing better than sipping free champage and looking at all the pieces in front of you. They are the highlight of our cruise, it what we like to do the best!

We did purchase on both cruises, on the Fantasy, we got 2 small pieces unframed.

On the Valor, we got a TON more. (please excuse my spelling of that last names)

We got a 3D Britto (deep night of romance?), some Krazinsky's, 2 Belle's and some other pieces. we also won all the free art! Now when is came to the cost: we got 17 pieces, Shipping, the framing for 10, and then the cost was TOTAL $4063. The Kransinsky and the Britto are combined worth more than that.

However we did not buy for the value, the appraisal, or for an investment. We bought what we liked and what meant something to us. In High School, my hubby and I would pass notes to each other with little fishing them, kissing an hugging and such. When we saw the Britto with the fish snuggling together, it could have cost 5000 and I wold still have wanted it above my couch! They fact that it could be n investment is second to us, I'll never them!

The Park West team was great, funny and very helpful, and they were not pushy at all (at least to us). I loved it!