Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to David from Gastonia
Default New drink rules?

I understand that there may or may not be a new rule about bringing drinks onboard. I have always been able to take my own wine to my room. I have never been charged for it because we leave it in our room. Has this changed? Can I still carry it with me or do I need to pack it?
Caribbean Princess 7-2006
Inspiration 4-2007
MARINER OF THE SEAS 7-2007
Glory
Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

They are limiting it to One (1) Bottle per person. I have 4 people in our group and I am the only drinker so I will be taking 4 bottles for a week. I should be fine! Haha

Also your only allowed to bring 1-12pk of soda now per person.

Carnival Spirit 11/07
Carnival Paradise 12/01
Carnival Elation 12/99
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

If I understand it . The rules are not changing so much as the reenforcement is changing. Carnival says a bottle of wine, and some people take a moonshine still in their back pack. I guess they figure that if people are going to jump off all these ships, they might as well be full of Carnival booze.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:07 PM
Passenger

I heard a few people say that you are allowed to bring 1 12pack of soda per person but I just called Carnival and they told me just one bottle of wine nothing else. I then asked him what about bottled water he said no. I said what about people who have babies because I have one and he needs bottled water. The guy then told me well we have bottled water on the ship. Yeah but Im sure i have to pay per bottle and with a baby for 7 days htat will ger pricet. I was just wondering if you guys got your info from carnival beacuse I am wondering what to do about drinks for my 1yr old.

Add Your Caribbean Trip Review
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KERI2308
I heard a few people say that you are allowed to bring 1 12pack of soda per person but I just called Carnival and they told me just one bottle of wine nothing else. I then asked him what about bottled water he said no. I said what about people who have babies because I have one and he needs bottled water. The guy then told me well we have bottled water on the ship. Yeah but Im sure i have to pay per bottle and with a baby for 7 days htat will ger pricet. I was just wondering if you guys got your info from carnival beacuse I am wondering what to do about drinks for my 1yr old.
You can always try and get a note from your pediatrician saying that he/she suggests that the brand of bottled water should be consistent and a change in it might upset your baby's diet. I'm sure Carnival won't argue with a doctor's note.

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Admiral

Keri,

Your child will probably be safer than with your city water. Cruise ships have very high standards on water. If you put bottled next to ship water, you cannot tell the difference.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
Keri,

Your child will probably be safer than with your city water. Cruise ships have very high standards on water. If you put bottled next to ship water, you cannot tell the difference.
The cruise ship water is very safe. However, I would be concerned about the "change" in water. Thank goodness my 2 are grown now, but my youngest little tummy was extremely sensitive.

If I were traveling with an infant, I would not want to change anything. Traveling is going to be hard enough.

I would call the Special Needs Department and have them email you an "approval" for your bottled water for the infant formula.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM
First Mate

Hope they are not thinking of taking my booze out of my room if displayed.This is getting absolutely stupid in these new rules Enough is enough and who cares if I am bringing on my own water due to the excessive cruise line pricing.They are only hurting themselves with the numerous ships coming on line who do not have these absurd rules.So long Carnival if you continue in this manner.
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Captain

Good thing i have an almost empty bottle of face TONER....after a 3 month soak to clean it, (besides a bit of witch hazel wont hurt ya) Should fit a good amount of vodka and be just right. I dare them to taste my TONER OR ASTRINGENT. I can be sneaky too.

as for water...dunno...but i'm probably packing a 12 pack of drinks and water in one suitcase. If they take it, it wont be like i wasted to much money.

sneaking your booze on board is too easy...that shouldnt be a problem unless your feeling guilty about not paying the 8 dollar for well drinks. The cokes might be much harder...

hey might get irritated enough to share a soda card with my hubby!
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Captain

New rules. They really are much different than the old rules. They may try and enforce them better. Well that means we need to get smarter. It is a chllange to me. It is a bit like speed limit signs. We all know what they mean, but we still don't really care unless we get caught. As I said on another thread about this topic "I would Rather Ask For Forgiveness, Than Ask For Permission"
Just My 2 cents
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old April 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Admiral

How's the song go.... " Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss".

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Captain

.............Exactly My Point............
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old April 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to mteague

I'm going to give it a shot and pack my Diet Dr. Pepper, water and margarita ingredients. If they take it, three of us will share a coke card.....and I'll only buy the daily special drinks.

I was going to say I wouldn't buy any drinks, but that would be a lie even if I had the margarita ingredients. Their drinks are so pretty...you just have to try them!

Melody

PS I bought some insulated, leak-proof mugs at WalMart. This way I can disguise my margaritas. Now I need to get some koozies for the water bottles!
Old April 5th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Admiral

do they have drinking fountains onboard? alot of the drinking fountains have filters as well. if it tastes ok which i have no idea since i am anticipating going on my first cruise in april 2008 then you could always refill a couple of bottles.
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Admiral

I don't get it. These ships are supposed to be a floating resort. Saying that, whenever we go to a resort or hotel you can bring whatever you want. I can understand the liquor to a certain extent, but soda, water, juices for the kids, c'mon let's get real. As far as saying "goodbye" to Carnival if this rule is strictly enforced, do you think the other cruise lines will follow in their footsteps or adverstise that you can bring these items on to try and hurt Carnival? What's your opinion?

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Passenger

Has anyone been on a cruise in the last month. Please let me know if you can bring a 12 pak of coke on board. I need to know soon. I cruise on the 28th of April on the Glory. Thanks
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Admiral

We are very lucky that we only drink a small amount. We have always found that the cruise ship has had more than enough booze for us.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into how to smuggle in stuff. This is important to all of our new people who come here for info. and do exactly like we say.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Passenger

Mornin Sunshine. . . ok, now I'm totally confused. I went directly through Carnival when registering for my cruise (which is going to be my first). The travel agent from Carnival told me hisself to bring my own beverages in my luggage. He went on to say that he had traveled in November and that is what he did.

I've been reading the posts and have purchased a few of the bar credits ($19.50 for 4 bar credits), but my BF & I were thinking a bringing maybe a bottle on board.

Do I bring the bottle or do I not. . . that is the questions???

Never let a Monday ruin your Sunday!!
I live for weekends & vacations!!
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:19 AM
First Mate

From the carnival website:

"Carnival Cruise Lines yesterday announced that it has changed its beverage policies. Passengers are no longer allowed to take nonalcoholic beverages onboard, including water. And they will now be limited to one bottle of wine per adult upon embarkation only. The new policy also warns that ship personnel will confiscate and discard any outlawed beverages. Carnival will continue to charge a $10 corkage fee per bottle for personal wine consumed in the dining room ($14 for the Supper Clubs). Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen said the rule was changed because security and embarkation personnel were reporting that passengers were "abusing" the previous guidelines, which allowed cruise-goers to carry on board a "small quantity" of nonalcoholic beverages, wine and champagne, both at embarkation and while in port. Asked whether the abuse related to passengers carting cases of bottled water aboard, or toting suitcases full of wine, or smuggling vodka disguised as water (hard liquor has never been permitted as a carry-on), Gulliksen said the issue related to "excessive amounts of nonalcoholic beverages being brought on board."

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Carnival had a rule about what you could bring. They did not in force that rule. As time went by, the rule was stretched further and further. Now people are making it seem like these are new rules. It the same rule.

I can understand about bring soda on the ship. When our school system signed a coke contract, we had to agree to get rid of all non coke products.

Some people say that Carnival can't tell them what they can bring. Yes, they can. It's their ships, and they have that right. Try taking a case of beer into a stadium.

I was reading on line about a huge todo in New Orleans. Hours spent going through bags, and probably thousands of dollars worth of drinks confiscated.

It is usually always best to follow the rules then none of this matters.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 5th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo
I was reading on line about a huge todo in New Orleans. Hours spent going through bags, and probably thousands of dollars worth of drinks confiscated.
Drinks as in non-alcoholic or as in liquor?
Old April 5th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Admiral

They took both. I can't quote exactly, but we are talking about enough booze to fill a swimming pool.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Admiral

The thing is, that since so many peopled "abused" the policy, now the people that did not abuse it and only took small amounts of soda or water are having to pay the price because of the other people that pushed it to far. Now we all have to suffer for their greediness. Gee thanks!

Carnival legend November 2009
Carnival Glory October 2007
Carnival Elation November 2006
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Captain

Floridanamaw;
That is the real issue. Abuse of the lax of the rules.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old April 5th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Yeoman

It just seems like this is a money making thing. I mean $2 for a can of pop!? That is a nice profit if you think about it.

Reminds me of Disney World where once they have you in the gates they can charge whatever they want cause you are not going to leave to get it outside of their gates.

Guess I will have to get my mom a pop card. Hope they have diet Pepsi
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Passenger

So - has anyone purchased the bar credits before their cruise. I'm just wondering if there are restrictions on what drinks you can purchase with the credits and where they can be used.

This will be my first cruise and I'm just trying to be in the know. Actually I'm trying to get things as perfect as possible. . . It took alot to convince my BF to take a cruise.

Never let a Monday ruin your Sunday!!
I live for weekends & vacations!!
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Admiral

We always get soda cards, and always get our money's worth.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Admiral

I purchased bar credits this time, to like you say, make things as perfect as possible. I have heard both good and bad about them, but thought I would give them a try.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 5th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
It just seems like this is a money making thing. I mean $2 for a can of pop!? That is a nice profit if you think about it.

Yeah... especially when you figure that since they're likely buying by the gross or in mass quantities, they probably pay about 1/2 of what we pay at the market!
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Beginner

We will be cruising on the 8th of April on the Pride. I plan on taking a 12 pk of soda, 12 pk water, 3 bottles of wine and one champagne. We may even try some vodka. There are 5 of us so I will dispurse amongst the luggage. I will just have to hope for the best! I will let everyone know how it owrked out! Bon voyage!! 8)