Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival Changes its Policy on Packing Liquids

So... I guess this means that I cannot take soda or bottled water on the ship.

Does anybody know how strict they are being with this issue? We sail this Sunday on the Conquest.
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Yeoman

There is another thread here also asking these same questions but no one really has any answers. In New Orleans they took quite a bit from people though. Read this thread:

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=574165
Old April 5th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I don't think any of us know what will happen. Carnival has rules that they tend to not in force, so who knows until one of you comes back to tell us how it was.

I just don't want one of you who has planned so long for your cruise, only to have things go wrong. Also remember if they are checking, it will make the lines take longer. It is best to follow the rules, but the best rule is to have fun!!
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Captain

I'm wondering if they will check suitcases...We usually bring about 8 bottled sodas in our suitcases.

AKcruiser
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Admiral

I talked to a friend today who says it is not only for real, but that all employees are getting prepared. She said they realized that drinking, and the lack of support of the coke products was out of hand.

I just hope that the people in front of us in line are not trying to break the rules. It sure will make the lines long and slow.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 6th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Captain

You can imagine the mess it will cause. look what it did to the airports!!

AKcruiser

PS I wish Carnival carried Pepsi products.. I brought mine onboard cuz i drink diet pepsi NOT diet coke!!!
Old April 6th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKcruiser
PS I wish Carnival carried Pepsi products.. I brought mine onboard cuz i drink diet pepsi NOT diet coke!!!
*heavy sigh* Couldn't remember which brand they carried. My mother is a diabetic and only drinks diet pepsi. She hates coke products. I didn't drink a lot of pop, what all do they carry on the ship?
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:32 PM
kookylabooka

4-4-07: Carnival Changes its Policy on Packing Liquids

Carnival Cruise Lines yesterday announced that it has changed its beverage policies. Passengers are no longer allowed to take nonalcoholic beverages onboard, including water. And they will now be limited to one bottle of wine per adult upon embarkation only. The new policy also warns that ship personnel will confiscate and discard any outlawed beverages. Carnival will continue to charge a $10 corkage fee per bottle for personal wine consumed in the dining room ($14 for the Supper Clubs). Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen said the rule was changed because security and embarkation personnel were reporting that passengers were "abusing" the previous guidelines, which allowed cruise-goers to carry on board a "small quantity" of nonalcoholic beverages, wine and champagne, both at embarkation and while in port. Asked whether the abuse related to passengers carting cases of bottled water aboard, or toting suitcases full of wine, or smuggling vodka disguised as water (hard liquor has never been permitted as a carry-on), Gulliksen said the issue related to "excessive amounts of nonalcoholic beverages being brought on board."
Old April 6th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Sabrett

I agree with this! I'd rather buy it on board than lug it there!
Old April 6th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Captain

I am on the other side am glad they carry Coke products, I can't stand Pepsi. It' all what you are used to, and like. I won't bother with carry on of beverages. Just not worth the hassle anymore. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.
Gary
Glory Western 2-07
Ecstasy 01-08
Ecstasy Feb. 1st. & Feb. 6th. 2010 B to B
Freedom 12-12-10
Freedom 09-24-11
Triumph 09-10-12
Triumph 09-15-12
Triumph 09-23-13
Triumph 09-28-13

Old April 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Admiral

I am not much for taking anything on other than my clothes; who wants the hassle of heavy luggage and "sneaking" back and forth to your room, etc.; vacations are supposed to be hassle free

Luanne: you are right, if everyone follows the rules the lines will go much faster. I wonder if the new procedure will affect how long it takes the luggage to get to your room -
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old April 6th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Admiral

I guess it will depend on how many are going to break the rules.

One other thing to keep in mind that besides taking your stuff, they could deny you boarding, without refund.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old April 6th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Admiral

That would stink if they denied boarding.

CARNIVAL GLORY 4/2007
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 8/2008
CARNIVAL GLORY 7/2009
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Passenger

ISN'T IT POSSIBLE TO PUT THE BOTTLED WATER IN THE LUGGAGE THE PORTER TAKES FROM YOU AT THE PIER, NOT IN YOUR CARRY ON.
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Beginner

OK - this is the funny thing. I called and was told that because we are both diabetic we can ask for special accomodations and they sent me a form to fill out. He said "we understand you can't get dehydrated and need your water" and I said "and, I want to bring on sugar free sodas because you don't have the ones I drink" - he said "shouldn't be a problem."
I asked what would be a reasonable amount and should I carry it on vs packing in my luggage - or would they send me a special tag or something to say that I had filled out the form?
They had no answers.
Didn't know how they would enforce the policy or how the exceptions will be handled.
We sail on the 15th out of Galveston.
Makes me think it will either be not a big deal (and you can still bring anything packed in your luggage) - or that they intend to not make exceptions.
And, have they ever checked your carry-on before? I have never had mine checked - do you think they're actually having you open it up - or will open the checked luggage?
Anyone been on a Carnival ship since the new policy????
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Captain

I too am a diabetic who only likes diet pepsi, but I will abide by the new rules and leave it behind. I didn't carry around a bottle of diet pepsi in public places. I had 1 per night in my cabin. I did find that I can make a pretty good lemonade at the drink station. I mixed a splash of their lemonade and a couple of lemon wedges into some water and ice and added some Splenda which Carnival now carries. ( I had to bring that from home on several cruises) NOW if they would just have salsa at the breakfast buffet, I'd be in business!!

AKcruiser
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Default Looks like Carnival changed its mind AGAIN!!

NOW the website says that only "excessive" non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liq...on_Policy.aspx

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Looks like Carnival changed its mind AGAIN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp
NOW the website says that only "excessive" non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liq...on_Policy.aspx
Anyone else seen this?? I'm going to take a few drinks and if they take them, o well....I'm out $3.00
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Beginner

I saw it. It states no alcohol and only "excessive amounts" of non alcoholic beverages will be confiscated.
Old April 11th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Passenger

This is directly from Carnival's website, and I believe it was just revised yesterday.

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests (21 years and older only) may bring one bottle of wine or champagne per person on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room or a $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages.

All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation. Guests may purchase a variety of beverages on board the ship. Alcoholic beverages will not be sold or served to anyone under the age of 21. We reserve the right to refuse the sale of alcoholic beverages to anyone. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the ship’s gift shops or in ports of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage.
Old April 11th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Captain

Asyouwish says the cite says, "Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages".

If this is the case, Carnival needs to give us a number, and not say a small quantity. This has been part of the problem. They need to say "exactly" how much is allowed. Then, I hope people follow the rules. I have seen people carrying cases of bottled water, and even hard liquor in before, and as far as I could tell, it wasn't confiscated.

Libragirl
Old April 11th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Admiral

I might be wrong, (I often am!), but I think these "strict" rules were put in place for Spring Break and will fall back to the "normal" rules now. I think you will be able to bring a "reasonable" amount of soda (perhaps 2 six packs) or water onboard.

BTW, I've never understood why people would bring water onboard. The ship's water is better than any bottled water ! We bring two bottles and refill them for shore excursions.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014