Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Beginner

Default March 31, 2007 cruise from Miami to Western Caribbean

Does anyone know why the Imagination turned around to go back to Key West? They said it was a life & death emergency, yet took 7 hours to turn the boat around. Any specifics? What rights do passengers have since one port was totally missed due to this emergency. Where was a helicopter?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: March 31, 2007 cruise from Miami to Western Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn111
Does anyone know why the Imagination turned around to go back to Key West? They said it was a life & death emergency, yet took 7 hours to turn the boat around. Any specifics? What rights do passengers have since one port was totally missed due to this emergency. Where was a helicopter?

Thanks
I dont know what happened but in terms of rights about missing a port, the passenger has none. It is stated in cruise contracts that itineraries can change and the ports of call are not guaranteed. The cruise line would probably offer some sort of on board credit or stop at a different port if possible.

May I ask where you heard this?

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Beginner

I was on that cruise. From what the Captain announced, and then from speaking to other passengers, there was an extremely ill passenger - critically ill, on the verge of dying. They had to turn around in order to get her to US water - which is why we went back to Key West. Yes, it did take 7 hours at high speed to get to Key West. The coast guard (I am assuming it was a coast guard) pulled up to the ship and the passenger was transported.

Now, I also heard that we could have gone to Grand Cayman but it would have cost $30,000 to fly the sick passenger out of there. I think we were near Cuba when it happened - don't we have a military base there that would have been closer? I don't have a problem with a sick passenger getting care. I was disappointed that we only had one stop - it was my first cruise. I can't believe the closet place for help was 7 hours away.
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysg
I was on that cruise. From what the Captain announced, and then from speaking to other passengers, there was an extremely ill passenger - critically ill, on the verge of dying. They had to turn around in order to get her to US water - which is why we went back to Key West. Yes, it did take 7 hours at high speed to get to Key West. The coast guard (I am assuming it was a coast guard) pulled up to the ship and the passenger was transported.

Now, I also heard that we could have gone to Grand Cayman but it would have cost $30,000 to fly the sick passenger out of there. I think we were near Cuba when it happened - don't we have a military base there that would have been closer? I don't have a problem with a sick passenger getting care. I was disappointed that we only had one stop - it was my first cruise. I can't believe the closet place for help was 7 hours away.
Did Carnival offer any sort of reimbursement? On board credit? Discount on a future cruise?

Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Old April 7th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Beginner

Carnival gave us each a $25 ob board credit - so we got (my husband, son and I) $75.00.
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Beginner

Default 3/31/07 Miami to Wester Caribbean (Imagination)

Thanks Wendy. We were also only offered $25 per person, which seems almost insulting.

I don't mean any disrespect to the ill passenger.......I just don't understand why they didn't proceed to Grand Cayman's and fly her from there since there was an entire ship filled with contracted passengers.

If Carnival saved $30,000 ~ there should have been a more fair settlement for the passengers; esp. since so many of the crew had been quarantined and an entertainer had missed the ship.

Anyone else have any advice on proceeding for a larger refund? The Grand Caymans was the highlight of the voyage.

Thank you
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: 3/31/07 Miami to Wester Caribbean (Imagination)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karyn111
Thanks Wendy. We were also only offered $25 per person, which seems almost insulting.

I don't mean any disrespect to the ill passenger.......I just don't understand why they didn't proceed to Grand Cayman's and fly her from there since there was an entire ship filled with contracted passengers.

If Carnival saved $30,000 ~ there should have been a more fair settlement for the passengers; esp. since so many of the crew had been quarantined and an entertainer had missed the ship.

Anyone else have any advice on proceeding for a larger refund? The Grand Caymans was the highlight of the voyage.

Thank you
I would suggest writing a letter voicing your displeasure or concern. They may give you some sort of discount on a future cruise or throw something your way. But like I said before, they don't have an obligation to give you anything.

Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Old April 7th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Beginner

Default 3/31/07 Imagination Miami to Western Caribbean

Thanks I appreciate your time. It's just a shame that by putting a lot of legal jargon on a long contract that Carnival can get away with only offering $25 for a ship expecting to see the Grand Caymans. One passenger was supposed to be getting married there.....how sad for them.
Old April 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM
First Mate

In defense of the helicopter transport.....

Maybe the patient wasn't stable enuf to endure such a ride. Also many times insurance companies will not pay for these flights.

American citizens are not allowed on Cuban soil. So I'm sure that's why the patient wasn't dropped off there.

Sounds like quite a few "why nots" and "what ifs" need to be answered by Carnival no matter what the fine print says.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean