Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Passenger

Does anyone know where I can find this information??? Thanks!!
Old April 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

Annie -- go to vacationstogo.com and look to the left. Thats where I saw it.
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggG
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUSEFANSMOM
I hire both nurses and teachers as a part of my employment. Teachers here start at $12/hour IF they have a Master's degree, and slightly less without one. Nurses start at $22/hr if they are technical school grads (2yr) and $26 if they have a four year degree.

Yes, we need both professions, but without teachers there would be no nurses, firefighters, military etc. The disparity in pay is pathetic. I have no problem giving them a break in any way we can. Just my .02!

Mousefansmom
Now don't flame me. I am sure teachers are under paid in many areas.

In my area (75 miles north of NYC) teachers start at 45k and get 80k after about 7 years. they work 7:30 AM to 2:25 PM, have every holiday for every religion off, 10 days for spring break, 10 days for Christmas, and the summer off.

I wish I was a teacher.

Brian
$80,000???? I need to move to NYC....I am a teacher and a coach.........I make a grand total of $35,000....I am at work by 6:30 AM and NEVER leave before 5:30.....on game nights (which are AT LEAST 3 nights a week, sometimes 4) I leave at 9:30 making my work days 15 hours......GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU LUMP EVERYONE UNDER 1 UMBRELLA! :evil: :evil:
I didn't lump anyone under one umbrella. I said in my area. This is not NYC. North of that.

Many of the teachers in our area have moved here from other places. This is a sweet area to teach. We also pay about 3 to 8k per house for school tax, but have excellent schools. That is part of the reason why I live here.

BTW - We pay overtime for sporting events. Don't get mad at me. They are posted numbers. I am just telling that that teaching is a very good, high paid, respected profession in this area. All teachers here have one year (maybe two) after they are hired to get their masters degree.

Brian

Sensation
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Captain

linuxpm (Brian),

I'm a retired teacher (32 years) from Texas. My salary when I started was $6,000 a year, with no conference period. When I retired almost 3 years ago, I was making about $50,000 (with a Master's Degree). I went to work everyday between 6:30 - 7:00 a.m. and rarely left the school before 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. I spent at least one day every weekend planning for the next week and grading hundreds of papers. Teaching is a very difficult job. It can be very rewarding, but there is nothing easy about it.

Libragirl
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libragirl
Teaching is a very difficult job. It can be very rewarding, but there is nothing easy about it.
MY BF's mom is a kindergarten teacher. I always though that would be a simple job. For her while the kids are enough of a handful its the parents that pose the biggest problem. I see her almost in tears because she is so flustrated. There is one mom who since the beginning of the year has been coming in and trying to take over the class room. She actually had the gull to start rearranging the classroom because she didn't like the children her daughter was sitting with!!

After being in her room with her to help out, I truly believe that teachers deserve a million dollars for doing what they do. And they truly deserves and discounts they get. Carla
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to RRush1969

I emailed my Carnival rep, and no, there are not discounts for teachers.

Old April 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

OK everyone, let's move on.
I am a paramedic and have been in EMS for 30 years. YES, I would like a discount for myself but we don't really have control of who gets discounts. Everyone that works is contributing to society so it is tough to say any one profession should get a discount.... Military, YES, I understand but for the rest of us........... Just be happy we CAN go on a cruise, be happy you have a job...........
Speaking of cruises, I sail in 12 days!
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Yeoman

I looked it up and the discounts are not always available. The one on vacation to go is for HAL. Carla
Old April 11th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Yes nurses make good money, but we earn it. I feel like a glorified waitress soemtimes, working in pediatrics, its amazing how ungrateful so many parents can be when your thier to help them. THey often demand i change thier babies diapers since they feel "its myjob"..i mean, hello..your standing right there and you call me in from another pts room where i'm changing a trach or giving blood to change your babies diapers!?
Well, I appreciate your frustration in that particular circumstance. But consider the parents' point of view -- they are paying money, probably a lot of money, to the hospital for care of their baby. Hygiene may not be your job, but it is surely the hospital's, and NOT the customers. Who else should they ask but the closest representative of the hospital? (i.e. you).

Cheers, Aidan
No its never the nurses job to do the parents job. Ever. Some think that because they are there that they dont have to care for thier child, but its not true. There are never enough nurses aids to help out. Usually we dont even have one on my shift at all, that being said i never wake a parent up to feed thier child or diaper them in the middle of the night because i know they are under stress and have been the parent all day, and need rest too. On my floor (most kids like i said are on ventilators, or trached with a lot of special needs, or terminally ill) about 50 % of our kids dont have parents who stay with them, many are really just abandoned when they get there. I try not to pass judgement, because i can only imagine what it must feel like for them to not have to take care of this child for just a few days...everyone needs a break somtimes.

caio!

as for teachers i totally agree. I also agree with Fireman, policeman...etc.

I also agree that i'll stop talking about nurses. Your right, we make more money then a lot of professions, and for that I'm greatful. I know why we make more...its not because we do that much harder or more stressful work, its because so many nurses said NO...HELL NO.. and backed away from the job. We quit becoming nurses. Huge shortages in nurses caused pay to increase dramatically. Sign on bonuses etc. If there was ever a shortage in teachers like this it would change also. When i graduated nursing school in 1994, the starting wage at Parkland hospital (dallas county hospital) was 12.00 an hour. Its doubled since then. Too bad teachers wages havent doubled! Not fair. Its all about supply and demand and with baby boomers out there, its going to get even worse....
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Captain

Quote:
No its never the nurses job to do the parents job. Ever.
You have misunderstood me. I understand it is not a nurses job. But it IS the hospital's job, and not the customers. By "asking you" I meant you should find a hospital employee to help.

My grandmother was in a hospital for quite a bit of time, and not once did they ask her son or me or anybody in the family to perform personal hygiene. That service is part of being in a hospital, even if the patient is a baby.

Or maybe things are different in Texas, shrug.

Cheers, Aidan
Old April 15th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

With children it is common (the norm) to have the parents do that type of stuff.. The baby knows mom better and NORMALLY the mom wants to be involved..
But to each there own!
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old April 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan
Quote:
No its never the nurses job to do the parents job. Ever.
You have misunderstood me. I understand it is not a nurses job. But it IS the hospital's job, and not the customers. By "asking you" I meant you should find a hospital employee to help.

My grandmother was in a hospital for quite a bit of time, and not once did they ask her son or me or anybody in the family to perform personal hygiene. That service is part of being in a hospital, even if the patient is a baby.

Or maybe things are different in Texas, shrug.

Cheers, Aidan
wow, there is a huge huge difference in changing your grandmothers diaper (tho i used to do it) then your 2 month olds diapers. And asking another employee isnt possible on my shift...we have one tech for 22 rooms...she has her hands quite full.

My point is if the parents ARE there (and often they arent) they should care for thier child as they would at home, its continuity of care Activities of daily living are extremely important and in my opinion if my grandma was in the hospital, i'd feed her if i was there, and help bath her. Diapers, most grandmas dont want thier kids to see that...
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

I won't even tell you what a discount us AIRLINE employees receive. (lets just say it is in the 50-45% area) Military also receives a generous discount. I won't start the fire about how "deserves" a discount or not. Honestly, none of us have ANYTHING to complain about if we can even AFFORD to go on ONE cruise. Many of us have been on many, many cruises. We consider ourselves lucky to be qualified for a discount, but we won't complain about it when we are not. Trust me...there are people out there who make nothing, and are thankful for everything.

Read and post cruise reviews

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Lou!! I totally agree! Even if we were not a duel military family!

Read and post cruise reviews

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998