Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default they have discounts for fire fighters, discounts for militar

They have discounts for fire fighters, discounts for military, discounts for teachers..........they need discounts for NURSES!!!
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

RNs make good money, those other professions, not so much

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Admiral

And your point? The world NEEDS RN's. The world NEEDS firefighters...the world NEEDS military...the world NEEDS teachers and the world NEEDS Wal mart greeters also ----------shouldn't matter about the amount of $$ a person makes to be compensated.
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

My mother would agree with you. Have you written a letter to Carnival regarding this?

Carnival Liberty November 30-December 7, 2013
Carnival Liberty
March 2-March 9, 2013

Carnival Legend November 27-December 4, 2011
Carnival Miracle September 28-October 6 2010
Carnival Victory December 9-16, 2007
Carnival Imagination April 28-May 3, 2007
Carnival Fascination April 24-28, 2006
Carnival Fascination July 10-17, 1999
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to JamesRT Send a message via MSN to JamesRT Send a message via Yahoo to JamesRT

Give discounts to everyone,let's not leave anyone out!
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Lou 123

I would like to see them stop discounts for anyone and lower the price for cruises all together...... Make it even!
9/2005 Carnival Conquest (9 day due to Rita)
4/2007 Carnival Glory
4/2008 Carnival Triumph
11/2008 Carnival Triumph
3/2009 Carnival Pride
11/2009 Carnival Liberty
3/2010 Carnival Liberty
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Passenger

My wifes an RN, sounds great to me.....

Caribbean Hotels & Resorts

2006 Carnival Holiday
2007 Carnival Legend
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Captain

omg i was just whining about the same thing! Paramedics too! They dont get the firefighters discounts my husband is a primary paramedic in Ft worth and doesnt qualify for fireman discounts since he doesnt work for the firedepartment...

I know several hotels (including Swan and Dolphin) give nurses discounts with the teachers/police/fireman at disney!

Besides were sometimes handy to have around
Old April 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Captain

and oh btw paramedics get the shaft..thier pay is less than teachers ever thought about making. Yet he isnt rewarded for saving lives on the street....

Yes nurses make good money, but we earn it. I feel like a glorified waitress soemtimes, working in pediatrics, its amazing how ungrateful so many parents can be when your thier to help them. THey often demand i change thier babies diapers since they feel "its myjob"..i mean, hello..your standing right there and you call me in from another pts room where i'm changing a trach or giving blood to change your babies diapers!?

I work 13 hour shifts, i leave my house at 5pm and get home the next day at 8:30 am. I do this 3 - 4 times per week. Believe me, i earn my paycheck! I work with kids who are vented or have very serious illnesses, and run a code on a child atleast twice per month. Its anything but glamerous to go home with blood and poo on your clothes.

Hey dont get me wrong I love being a peds nurse, i love MY kids! But to say i make to much money kinda stings...I often think we dont get paid enough for the hours and the liability and stress not to mention all the time missed from family and working holidays...its hard to tend to a child who is dying...its hard not to take that home with me!

I'm really not complaining about no discounts for me, more so even for paramedics...boy, talk about HARD WORK for no money. My husband see's and does things i cant even fathom.
Old April 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to RRush1969

Do teachers get cruise discounts? I booked my cruise about 2 months ago, and haven't heard anything about this. I have been teaching high school for 14 years and would love to save a little money.

Old April 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Beginner

I hire both nurses and teachers as a part of my employment. Teachers here start at $12/hour IF they have a Master's degree, and slightly less without one. Nurses start at $22/hr if they are technical school grads (2yr) and $26 if they have a four year degree.

Yes, we need both professions, but without teachers there would be no nurses, firefighters, military etc. The disparity in pay is pathetic. I have no problem giving them a break in any way we can. Just my .02!

Mousefansmom
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Familiar Face

I have never heard of the firefighter discount.

Does anyone have any info on this?
Old April 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Passenger

There used to be AARP discounts that I took advantage of but that was stopped about 3 years ago
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Law Enforcement doesn't get discounts. I can talk about firefighters since I used to be a Captain in a local Fire Department..... the firemen usually stand outdoors and flood the structure with water to put the flames out. Occassionally, they have to go into a burning structure, I know, I have done it myself, and fight the fire that way and look for rescue events.

Now, compare this to law enforcement officers (LEO) ...

The LEOs have to face people who might be carrying a weapon that is unseen and have to let them brandish the weapon first . If the person just wants to fight, then the LEO has to fight hand to hand, risking injury to himself, just to usually see that the actor or family will file charges of brutality afterwards. A great percentage of society does not want LEOs around and talk cruelly to the LEOs. :o The person in the car that the LEO stopped may have a gun beside them on the seat and shoots at the LEO while he walks up unsuspectingly. At a traffic stop, another driver may hit the LEO because the driver was careless or actually wanted to hit the LEO. An LEO may go to a family disturbance and while placing a threat of detaining the actor, the family member who was being abused, might see their precious loved one, that just beat them and was called on, being taken away and suddenly, the LEO that was called for help, is now the enemy and migh tbe attacked, shot at.

Being on both sides of this, as a fireman and LEO, I see that the LEOs are the heroes all the time. And we don't get discounts on these cruises as you suggest the firemen do. If they do.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:25 PM
First Mate

To Nurseypoo5

I give you a lot of credit for doing what you do. My heart goes out to you, especially when you mentioned about children who you know are going to die. I started tearing up just reading that. My heart goes out to you. You deserve every dollar that you make, because many people can't do the job you do.

Tweetybird
Old April 8th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Familiar Face

To Mehawk,

As a wife of a retired New York City firefighter I can assure you that they do not stand outside as you imply.

I'm sure the 343 who lost their lives on 9/11 wished they had stood outside and watched.

Please know what you are talking about before you speak.
Old April 8th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Admiral

AnnieS please reread my posting... I said that I was a CAPTAIN in a fire department for 10 years and I, MYSELF, had to lead the fighting line into burning structures, initiating searches as I led the way down halls that had no paths, crashing through floors that had burnt away from my footsteps, falling through roofs that had their supporting structures burnt from under them, feeling the pain from second degree burns as the steam generated from my fog nozzle swept over me, finding every little gap in my protective gear. Feeling the blast zone of a cylinder expoding and knocking down everyone and everything with in its reach, just to get back up and go after it again. Walking out of a structure and noticing you can't see properly because the heat was so intense that your vosor actually melted. I am alluding that MOST of the time, firefighters go in when it is safe as is proper. It is not proper to put one's life into danger if the situation does not call for it. ALSO>>> notice I DID NOT say that firefighters were not heroes. Not at all. So chill!! The 343 that went into the building on that fateful day were under the impression that the building was safe. All of us were! Who, in their wildest American dreams, would have thought that a plane would be used as a weapon to bring those buildings down.

I know what I am talking of when I write about the firefighters. I realize that you are close to the subject at hand and my hat is off to your husband, but, if you yourself have never gone into the blackness of the light, then don't preach to those who have.

Again, I invite you to reread my post and concur that I did not say firefighters were not heroes.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

We are surrounded by many heroes these days. One cannot do without the other.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:39 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUSEFANSMOM
I hire both nurses and teachers as a part of my employment. Teachers here start at $12/hour IF they have a Master's degree, and slightly less without one. Nurses start at $22/hr if they are technical school grads (2yr) and $26 if they have a four year degree.

Yes, we need both professions, but without teachers there would be no nurses, firefighters, military etc. The disparity in pay is pathetic. I have no problem giving them a break in any way we can. Just my .02!

Mousefansmom
Now don't flame me. I am sure teachers are under paid in many areas.

In my area (75 miles north of NYC) teachers start at 45k and get 80k after about 7 years. they work 7:30 AM to 2:25 PM, have every holiday for every religion off, 10 days for spring break, 10 days for Christmas, and the summer off.

I wish I was a teacher.

Brian

Sensation
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:42 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpm
Quote:

Mousefansmom

In my area (75 miles north of NYC) teachers start at 45k and get 80k after about 7 years. they work 7:30 AM to 2:25 PM, have every holiday for every religion off, 10 days for spring break, 10 days for Christmas, and the summer off.

I wish I was a teacher.

Brian
I forgot to mention they can't be outsourced to India or China, pay nothing for benefits, and can't be fired unless they commit a felony.

Brian

Sensation
Old April 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Me too Brian -- lol and...they don't take peoples lives into their own hands!! However it takes someone special to be a teacher because I would have to hurt 90% of the kids before 3pm!! You were just asking to be slammed now---so sit back.
Old April 8th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Teachers don't make that much here, but the cost of living might be more.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old April 8th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to RRush1969

Where I teach, I get to work at 7:00am and when I'm not coaching I can leave around 4:00. I coach 2 sports and so 2 nights a week when we have games I don't leave campus until after 10:00 PM. Last week, I was at school 17 hours on Monday, and 15 hours on Tuesday hosting playoff soccer games. Every other day we have practice until at least 5:30. Many of us coach and work with extra duties. We certainly are not paid anywhere close to $80,000. I have practices/games over holiday breaks and spring break, so I haven't had a spring break in 14 years. I chose this profession and love it, but don't critisize something if you don't know what is involved. I get two months off in the summer, where I work a second job (to make up some of the pay), and we are expected to get continuing ed hours for our jobs and attend workshops in the areas that we teach. I love working with kids. Please don't try to tell me that teaching is a 7:30 to 2:00 job with 3 months off. I have been doing this 14 years, and have never had a schedule like that. Yes there are a few teachers that show up at the bell and beat the kids to the parking lot, but those are the exception, not the rule. You have those type of people in every profession, not just teachers.

Old April 8th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Passenger

Just to clear up a teachers salary. they work as you said and have summers and holidays off. However, that 45,000 or whatever their salary is gets divided up over 12 months and is based on the time they teach. They actually don't get paid for summers and holidays, they just chose to have their checks divided into 12 or so months. See... I'm not saying it isn't a good salary they just get it divided evently for 12 months.
Old April 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Admiral

told ya Brian....
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Admiral

after reading everybodys posts and hearing all the differents points of view and how each have very valid points be it saving lives; helping the sick; or teaching and guiding our future leaders, i believe that we ALL deserve a discount because in one way or another we are all very much needed to make our world a better place!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseypoo5
Yes nurses make good money, but we earn it. I feel like a glorified waitress soemtimes, working in pediatrics, its amazing how ungrateful so many parents can be when your thier to help them. THey often demand i change thier babies diapers since they feel "its myjob"..i mean, hello..your standing right there and you call me in from another pts room where i'm changing a trach or giving blood to change your babies diapers!?
Well, I appreciate your frustration in that particular circumstance. But consider the parents' point of view -- they are paying money, probably a lot of money, to the hospital for care of their baby. Hygiene may not be your job, but it is surely the hospital's, and NOT the customers. Who else should they ask but the closest representative of the hospital? (i.e. you).

Cheers, Aidan
Old April 8th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Admiral

I think everyone is getting off the point of the original posting..Discounts are given to targeted groups that the marketing cruise folks think will fill up a ship or to attract new people to cruising..thus prior to the implementation of inventory control systems, cruise lines use to fill up cabins by offering travel industry discounts (travel agents, airline employees etc) with less then 30 days before sailing. Due to sophisticated inventory management systems the cruise lines can do a much better job of not diluting their profit margin and also score marketing points..thus the military discounts and at any given time they can target any group they want (nurses as an example), if they think that group can fill up otherwise empty cabins..for a brief period after Katrina, Carnival was offering a special rate out of New Orleans for first responders..outstanding public relations move, smart move to fill up a lot of empty cabins.

If there is such a thing as a national organization for RN's, I bet they could approach any cruiseline and negotiate a volume deal to fill up empty cabins if it works for the cruise line. The good news is as the cruiselines keep building bigger and bigger ships, with more cabins to fill, the better the opportunity to see more "occupation type" discounts. The day a cruise ship sails with empty cabins that could have been sold I think is a thing of the past..

FYI, following my back operations, my favorite people on earth are emergency room nurses and intensive care nurses who deserve a cruise for taking care of me
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Familiar Face

Mehawk,

I have reread your post and still do not like it, and by the way there is no such thing as going into a "safe" burning building.

But enough of that! I totally agree that all the jobs mentioned here are worthy of our admiration. They are unique in their own way.

I was only questioning if there was a discount for firefighters as mentioned in the title as I have never heard of one, and do no think there is.

We already receive the military discount which is great, and do not think they could top that.
Old April 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpm
Quote:

Mousefansmom

I wish I was a teacher.

Brian
$80,000???? I need to move to NYC....I am a teacher and a coach.........I make a grand total of $35,000....I am at work by 6:30 AM and NEVER leave before 5:30.....on game nights (which are AT LEAST 3 nights a week, sometimes 4) I leave at 9:30 making my work days 15 hours......GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU LUMP EVERYONE UNDER 1 UMBRELLA! :evil: :evil: