CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Upgrade fairy issues FANTASTIC upgrade (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/331502-upgrade-fairy-issues-fantastic-upgrade.html)

AKcruiser April 10th, 2007 11:46 PM

Upgrade fairy issues FANTASTIC upgrade

We are sailing on the Victory April 22. We have 4 rooms booked. One of the rooms we booked as a Cat 6 Oceanview guarantee. When we got our Docs about 4 weeks ago, our daughter and her family that are booked in the Cat 6 Oceanview room had a room number on the Docs it WAS a cat 6B Oceanview room. We got a call today from our Carnival PVP and he said guess what.... We just upgraded your daughter to a BALCONY room just down the hall from you !! It's a Cat 8B!! We are sooo jazzed.

WTG upgrade fairy!

AKcruiser

PS upgrades CAN happen after you get your docs

subtropic April 11th, 2007 12:00 AM

That is true about upgrades after you get your docs. We got a super upgrade once after we checked in at embarkation to our great surprise, so it does happen.

mehawk April 11th, 2007 12:39 AM

WOW!!! :D

Lou 123 April 11th, 2007 09:56 PM

I thought once your room was assigned it was locked in. I have had my room locked in for 4 months now, could I also be up-graded?

jleq April 11th, 2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou 123
I thought once your room was assigned it was locked in. I have had my room locked in for 4 months now, could I also be up-graded?

If someone contacts Carnival and says "I want go on the cruise...and I want that room" [your assignment], you'll be moved if another cabin that grade or higher exists. You can also be moved for a variety of other reasons. Doesn't happen often--but it does happen.

Me...I'm hoping for a curbsite upgrade to a Cat 12. [OK, I'll accept Cat. 11] :D

Jokadah May 7th, 2007 02:11 AM

So how do you get the upgrade. I booked my room through Carnival Vacation Club, would I contact them or Carnival? Is there a list your put on? Do travel agents have first "dibs" on upgrading their clients? I have a balcony room in the rear of the ship so it has a bigger balcony. But I'm thinking a suite or ??? might be fun.

CA Cruiser May 7th, 2007 08:43 AM

Jokadah,
We also have CVC and used it for 2 Carnival cruises then the rest with Princess. We were told when we bought into it that we would be the 1st ones to get an upgrade but it never happened. Maybe because we choose our cabin and not a guaranttee. We met people who booked their cruises with TA that got much better upgrades. We just booked the cabin we would be happy with. We are using up our points this August.

IBCRUZIN' May 7th, 2007 10:43 AM

I just got off the phone with Carnival.

I booked a Cat 1A guarantee on the Liberty. I have been assigned a 4A cabin on the Riviera Deck.

I asked the PVP what were the chances that my cabin would change again. She said once they assign a cabin number, my cabin will most likely remain the same. It is pretty much locked in. I then asked how come I got such a teeny weeny upgrade. She said that upgrades are not a sure thing and there is a 50/50 chance of getting one. I started laughing and said, "Oh so I should be happy with what I have." She laughed and said, "Yeah Pretty much."

I am happy with my teeny weeny upgrade b/c it is on the Riviera Deck towards the front of the ship. Since it is further forward of the first bank of elevators, hall traffic and noise should be minimal and it is right near the staircase that leads to the gangway off the ship at island ports. This saves loads of time getting on and off the ship at ports.

I have been in this area of the ship and the movement and noise is minimal. It is a nice quiet area. Great for midday naps.

I am excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rosetattoo May 7th, 2007 01:41 PM

The one and only time I have ever received an upgrade (last minute) was because I had booked two adjoining balcony rooms that were requested by another family and because I am Platinum on Carnival, they upgraded us to Cat. 11 Suite staterooms that were not adjoining. I think they usually upgrade apples to apples....inside stateroom to inside stateroom but just on a higher deck, etc. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I wouldn't want to be upgraded to a room under or near a noisy part of the ship. Even when we were upgraded, we had to transfer two decks down from our original deck and very close to the noisy area around the elevators.

AKcruiser May 8th, 2007 01:19 AM

You're right upgrades usually apply to same catagory rooms just a higher deck, but in our case our daughter was upgraded after we received our docs. She booked a cat 6 guarantee and when her docs arrived she had a room assignment on them a cat 6B room. We received a call about a week before we sailed to tell us she had been upgraded to a cat 8B balcony room. I have no idea why she was upgraded but they put her on the same floor as our room and our sons room. Whatever the reason we were very pleased with the upgrade. We had a great cruise!

AKcruiser

Dutchman May 9th, 2007 01:44 PM

That fairy just never shows up for us. Must be doing something wrong