Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Any feedback on Triumph Gr Turk/San Juan/St Thomas/Cay?

I noticed this fairly new itinerary and wondered if anyone has done it yet? If so, how were the Grand Turk and private island stops?
Any info would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM
First Mate

We're booked on a variant of this itinerary for next spring break - San Juan, St. Thomas, Half Moon Key, Nassau. I think San Juan will be awesome if we can book the bioluminescent lagoon kayaking.

St. Thomas is, of course, shopping. The kids want to see Atlantis in Nassau. Half Moon Key is awesome (been there twice) and I hear its even better after last year's expansion.
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Glad to hear about Half Moon Cay. We've been to St Thomas before, great for snorkeling (Coki Beach was awesome!). I haven't heard anything great about San Juan, but at least the kids can say they've been there.

We've been to Nassau, totally unimpressed. Very expensive to take the cabs or water taxis to Paradise Island/Atlantis (we went in 2004, 6 of us in a taxi cost $50 each way, and it's only about a 10 minute ride). We went through the hotel, it was impressive, especially the aquarium, but we didn't want to pay for the cruise ship tour and use of the beach, so we went to the public beach a few blocks down for free. A beach is a beach. The jewelry sellers/hair braiders were very overbearing.

After we got back we walked down to the Straw Market just down the street from the cruise ship dock, saw the same stuff they were selling on the beach for much less. Great place for t-shirts and hats, very reasonably priced.

I am most curious about Grand Turk.

Thanks for your info! We are cruising at Thanksgiving, hoping for another great time!
Old April 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM
First Mate

In Nassau, there's a nice pirate museum not too far from the straw market. When we were there, the market had burned down a few months before, so it was all in a large circus tent.

I think San Juan has a certain charm...the old town night life is fun, and I hear the Bacardi tour is interesting. The one time we were there, I took a special tour that sent us (a bunch of Linux Lunatics, courtesy of Geek Cruises) to Arecibo, the large radiotelescope carved out of the hills...very impressive! Much larger than it appears in the James Bond movies.

My wife and daughters wandered the old town, and went to the El Morro fort and generally had fun.
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Beginner

I'm going September 29th. Looks like fun.
Old April 18th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Admiral

There are two threads under destinations that are about Grand Turks....they might be helpful. We were there last November. We didn't do any of the water activities. Took the bus tour around the island. We were back on the ship a couple hours before we sailed. Her Majesty's Prison was nice as was Lighthouse Point. It just depends on what kind of activities you want to do........

Need some cruise help?